New in Chess & BREXIT

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Mike Gunn

Re: New in Chess & BREXIT

Post by Mike Gunn » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:28 am

I took out a sub to New in Chess in December on their special offer at the time. So far I have received one mag and the free book hasn't turned up yet. It all seems a bit slow so perhaps they're trying to work out the tax.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:40 am

John Clarke wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:27 am
Reading all this makes me relieved to be in NZ. Apart from a few well-defined exceptions (notably residential rents, and provision of financial services), our Goods & Services Tax (GST) is levied on absolutely everything, and at a uniform rate. Compliance can still be onerous enough, but at least we can be sure that as little as practicable of the tax-take goes on supporting a bloated bureaucracy for administering the thing and having to interpret and re-interpret all those confusing rules.
For completeness' sake -

"The New Zealand government imposes a 15% Goods and Services Tax (GST) on transactions where the Buyer is located in New Zealand and the Seller is located outside the country. Beginning in July 2020, all orders that meet this criteria will have a 15% tax added to the order, paid for by the Buyer... "

https://support.discogs.com/hc/en-us/ar ... he%20Buyer.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:42 am

Mike Gunn wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:28 am
I took out a sub to New in Chess in December on their special offer at the time. So far I have received one mag and the free book hasn't turned up yet. It all seems a bit slow so perhaps they're trying to work out the tax.
Presumably they've got your money.

Are you expecting them to ask you for more?

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:51 pm

I paid using PayPal on December 7th and there is nothing on the invoice about tax but I guess there may be terms and conditions which could bite me (although I didn't look).

Among other things the invoice says: "If you have ordered physical goods: Although we are working hard to ensure that your order will be delivered as soon as possible, we expect there will be delays as a result of the corona crisis."

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:55 pm

"Goods & Services Tax (GST) is levied on absolutely everything, and at a uniform rate. "

One problem with VAT is that it is added at the end, so you pay tax on tax. If you have an import costing £1000, which has a 20 % rate of import duty, the VAT is taken assuming a value of £1200. VAT was better than Purchase Tax, as it was either 0 % or 10 %, whereas PT changed according to whether goods were "luxury" for example. VAT was also easy to calculate as it was 10 %, but that soon changed.

NIC have been sending messages for a while, saying that Covid is delaying things.

DavidGostelow

Post by DavidGostelow » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:19 pm

I tried to buy a video from Chessbase and it said not available in your region , download only. I assume that is Brexit related. Also if you have a video with a book you have the delights of mixed rate VAT. I think many companies are assessing the situation and dont want to be the first to move, but additional charges in many area are inevitable, mastercard have already said some foreign transactions from October will incur a charge 6 times greater than the current charge. So many people forget the good old days lol, its not that many years since the coach drivers on my parents continental coach tours were slipping customs 200 fags to avoid long queues

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:50 pm

DavidGostelow wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:19 pm
I tried to buy a video from Chessbase and it said not available in your region , download only. I assume that is Brexit related.
ChessBase's statement that "Due to disruptions caused by the Corona epidemic, we are currently unable to send parcels to your region. Please use the download option and convert your postal orders to downloads." does not appear to be true. I can find nothing saying that Deutsche Post are unable to deliver to the UK. Perhaps "unable" should be replaced by "unwilling" and the first clause removed.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:40 pm

Checked on my own ChessBase Account.
Clearly not posting to the UK started after the 1st January 2021.
Paul Robert Jackson

Sean Parker

Post by Sean Parker » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:40 pm

Chessbase not posting to the UK is not so bad as most if not all their products can be downloaded. I do think that picking up a bargain price book from NIC may be over.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:16 pm

rom: nic <[email protected]>
Date: 29 January 2021 at 10:21:25 GMT
To: Paul Robert Jackson <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: BREXIT & deliveries to the UK

Dear Paul,
Thank you for your interest. Fortunately, we do not have to change our prices due to brexit. But we do not know if the receiver will face any additional charges.
Kind regards,
Jeroen Andel
New In Chess

Van: Paul Robert Jackson <[email protected]>
Verzonden: dinsdag 26 januari 2021 15:31
Aan: nic <[email protected]>
Onderwerp: BEXIT & deliveries to the UK

I expect you will have been asked this before.
If I order books or magazines from you & have them posted to the UK, will I have extra charges from you, or could I have extra charges when items are delivered to me in the UK?
Thank you.
Regards,
Paul Jackson
Paul Robert Jackson

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:14 am

According to TWIC Magnus Carlsen (or specifically the Play Magnus Group) has just bought New in Chess. Judging by the comments above, I guess the magazine was struggling to survive.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:37 am

That is not especially good news from an independent media point of view.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:50 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:37 am
That is not especially good news from an independent media point of view.
Agreed but, as above, maybe NICs hand was forced?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:26 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:14 am
According to TWIC Magnus Carlsen (or specifically the Play Magnus Group) has just bought New in Chess. Judging by the comments above, I guess the magazine was struggling to survive.
I don't see how you come to that conclusion. New in Chess has a worldwide market for its magazine and other services and is not dependent on UK sales, though certainly Covid-19 has affected its postal deliveries to customers abroad.

Maybe they just got an offer too good to refuse?

Also maybe this move by Play Magnus Group is indicative of the current world champion trying to secure his future when he becomes the ex- which could be before the end of 2021.

Like Justin, I am certainly worried about editorial independence of the magazine from now on.

How critical they will be in issue 2021/2 about Magnus's dreadful Wijk aan Zee result may give a clue, but such things may take longer to really affect what appears between the covers, for example if and when the present editor retires and Play Magnus gets a say in appointing his successor. Hopefully that won't be for many years more.

This is probably an issue that needs to be moved to a separate thread?
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:12 am

"How critical they will be in issue 2021/2 about Magnus's dreadful Wijk aan Zee result may give a clue, but such things may take longer to really affect what appears between the covers, for example if and when the present editor retires and Play Magnus gets a say in appointing his successor. Hopefully that won't be for many years more."

Chief editors:
Jan Timman & Dirk Jan ten Geuzendam
........both may be thinking about retirement.
Paul Robert Jackson