Question about arbiters

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Andrew Zigmond

Re: Question about arbiters

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:46 pm

Joseph Conlon wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:18 pm

A related example would be where a player, swindled and subject to a forced mate next move (say a back rank mate where all they can do is interpose a piece), instead runs their clock down in spite. On one level, a player can use their time as they wish - but they also need to be told that this is not acceptable.
I would suspect that by strict application of the laws of the chess the arbiter couldn't intervene. However the laws don't prohibit the offender being warned about his conduct after the game or indeed being immediately disqualified from the tournament and/ or banned from future events.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:06 pm

Commenting on various posts.

Wadih - When you send in your child's entry to the next event why not attach a note saying that you would like to help out. Many arbiters started out this way. Initially marking up charts, posting the draws, helping players find their seats, etc. This usually expands to helping out in more formal ways.
Most organisers are glad to get an extra pair of hands and most arbiters are willing to explain procedures to anyone that is interested.

Joseph - The ability of the players is also a consideration. When I did lots of junior events I very often declared K+R v K (with flag fall) as a draw when it was obvious the bare king knew how to defend (ie stay in the centre). However, when the bare king regularly went to the edge of the board I was forced to count to 50 and if the flag fell before that then I would give the win without any hesitation. (In both cases I am assuming that the player with the rook was clueless in the mating technique but had to be allowed the chance to fluke it!).
The same logic would apply to K+B v K+B (opposite colours, otherwise an immediate draw).

I did once witness a K+Q v K ending. The player with the queen tried for about 30 moves to mate without success. He realised he didn't have the knowledge to do this so did the decent thing and resigned! Totally forgetting that he had a draw.

On the player sitting and not moving. I would certainly have strong words with him after the game about his manners. If there was a considerable time remaining (and the player had been sitting for about 10 minutes motionless) I might ask if he was feeling OK. In the past this has produced a resignation!

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:50 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:32 am
Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:14 am
Apologies if I'm opening a can of worms with this one but it is possible to construct a checkmate with K+B vs K+B (provided the bishops are on opposite coloured squares) and two inexperienced juniors might conceivably arrive at such a position.
Naturally it's a helpmate but put a black king on h8 a white king on h6, a black bishop on g8 then Bc3 or anywhere on that diagonal is mate.
I think I'm in the 'knocking their heads together' camp. :wink:

E Michael White

Post by E Michael White » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:10 pm

My earlier post was to offer a puzzler and point out that the Black move preceding the checkmate does not have to be a Bishop move it could be a king move but not in Roger's position.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:57 pm

Notification about a very recent recruit to the ranks -
Following the decisions on Arbiter title applications approved by the 4th quarter FIDE Online Council Meeting in December 2020, England has another FIDE Arbiter. I am sure that everyone will want to join me in sending Emma-Jane Billington-Phillips congratulations on her achievement!
— Alan Atkinson, ECF Manager of Arbiters