Carlsen losing respect?...and mouse slips.

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Geoff Chandler

Carlsen losing respect?...and mouse slips.

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:51 pm

Myself and Matt were discussing chess and tennis, By coincidence Ray Keene mentions tennis in his latest article.

He is talking about internet chess and mouse slips, which Ray calls 'Mousetakes'

"These game-ruining interventions occur when a player’s computer mouse accidentally deposits a piece on an unintended square
and the move is an obvious blunder. I now propose that, following the appeals model for tennis, that all players should be permitted
three “mousetake” retractions per game. This measure would elevate the status of online chess and avoid games being wrecked by
inadvertent silicon intervention. I hope that FIDÉ (the World Chess Federation) and major sponsors are listening!"

I'm not too sure if I agree with that one but Ray raises an excellent point made in
the main body of the article He fears Carlsen maybe losing some fear factor and respect.

"Hardly a day goes past now without Carlsen playing several games in Internet rapid play tournaments, and this trend
is actually intensifying. The potential danger for Carlsen is that excessive familiarity encourages a diminution of respect."

Ray picks it up from there and runs with it, scores a touch down, whether he converts it or not is up to the reader.
One has to take onboard the experience of any writer 'who has played no fewer than eight World Chess Champions.'
You cannot wade through that lot without making an observation or two.

Good reading, thought provoking with opinions also spotting a problem and coming up with a solution.
(not too fond of the solution, maybe you can have five seconds to undo an internet move and only once in a game.
But I'm glad to know it is a problem others have suffered from. I thought it only me who did it on a regular basis.)

https://www.thearticle.com/chess-we-three-kings

Matt Mackenzie

Re: Carlsen losing respect?...and mouse slips.

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:14 pm

Yeah, but classical chess is still where it counts. Looking forward to Tata Steel in that respect.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:17 pm

I think FIDE should factor in new laws to bring online and OTB chess closer together. If the cursor passes over or hovers above a pawn or piece in chess online, that should be included in the touch move law, and the player responsible should be forced to move the piece/or pawn hovered above or passed over.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:00 am

MJMcCready wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:17 pm
I think FIDE should factor in new laws to bring online and OTB chess closer ogether.
But it isn't FIDE, is it? It's the platforms.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Bill Porter

Post by Bill Porter » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:14 am

MJMcCready wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:17 pm
I think FIDE should factor in new laws to bring online and OTB chess closer together. If the cursor passes over or hovers above a pawn or piece in chess online, that should be included in the touch move law, and the player responsible should be forced to move the piece/or pawn hovered above or passed over.
"White has cunningly induced black to surround his knight with eight black pieces, preventing Nf3 mate."