Closing Gambit

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Sellen
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 4:30 pm

Re: Closing Gambit

Post by John Sellen » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:27 pm

Thanks Mike
I cannot comment yet on the documentary as I wont see it until tomorrow
However just to make a general point surely it must be good that chess is becoming more talked about on mainstream media with The Queens Gambit a top choice on Netflix and now the Closing Gambit showing
It is very easy for keen chess players to be critical about aspects of these films but surely we could all agree that more exposure of chess to the general public can hardly be bad
I started getting keen on chess essentially down to the Bobby Fischer years. I would love to think that a new generation will be become more involved and enthusiastic as a result of all the attention chess is getting at the moment
We really need new people coming in. At a typical weekend congress( for those who remember those happy days ) there is a small group of youngsters and a large group of elderly men. I am now 70 and I feel quite youthful at some of the events !! . I thus think we should not nit pick about films like the Closing Gambit as there are plenty of books and stuff on youtube about the match to satisfy the most avid chess player . Lets just try and get more beginners involved in chess

Simon Rogers
Posts: 1121
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:30 pm

Re: Closing Gambit

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:16 pm

John Sellen wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:27 pm
Thanks Mike
I cannot comment yet on the documentary as I wont see it until tomorrow
However just to make a general point surely it must be good that chess is becoming more talked about on mainstream media with The Queens Gambit a top choice on Netflix and now the Closing Gambit showing
It is very easy for keen chess players to be critical about aspects of these films but surely we could all agree that more exposure of chess to the general public can hardly be bad
I started getting keen on chess essentially down to the Bobby Fischer years. I would love to think that a new generation will be become more involved and enthusiastic as a result of all the attention chess is getting at the moment
We really need new people coming in. At a typical weekend congress( for those who remember those happy days ) there is a small group of youngsters and a large group of elderly men. I am now 70 and I feel quite youthful at some of the events !! . I thus think we should not nit pick about films like the Closing Gambit as there are plenty of books and stuff on youtube about the match to satisfy the most avid chess player . Lets just try and get more beginners involved in chess
I couldn't agree with you more John.
You talk a lot of sense.
Like you I haven't seen the programme before and I am looking forward to it.
People have there own views on various programmes.
I like to reserve judgement until I've seen it.
Hats off to John for informing us about the programme being shown.
He didn't have to tell us, but he went out of his way to do so.

Geoff Chandler
Posts: 2495
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: Under Cover
Contact:

Re: Closing Gambit

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:45 pm

Hi Mike,

Agree, if you were there then all it can do is brings back a memory, a good memory, a bit like watching an old DVD of your team
winning the cup final. Except in this case they will not be showing the goals, instead they are going to talk about what was going on
in the two dressing rooms, what it's like playing in a world chess final etc. It is aimed at a wider market . So we should judge it on that.

If anybody wants a chess fix from this match then this (game 8 ) is one of the memorable games from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuIMCRjRshA

Danny King as usual does a good job but declines to mention this game started with the infamous refusal by Karpov to
shake Korchnoi's hand which prompted an angry Korchnoi to punish him OTB. (and then came the cigar and soap saga.)
Danny skips all the hoo har. instead uses it to show the often dismissed and ignored attacking prowess of Karpov. Good vid.



10...g6? (If I recall correctly in the film Keene says Korchnoi does not play well when angry, Stean said he does. )
Also Korchnoi feared a TN was in the air. He was right, the normal 10...d5 was hit with 11.Ng5 in game 10.
As soon as 11.Ng5 it was played the Russians all smiled and headed for the bar.
"Korchnoi was left on the burning deck to work out whether it was brilliance of bluff" writes RDK.

Korchnoi declined the piece, Ray gives a some wonderful variations to show what happens if it is taken.

User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 1991
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: Closing Gambit

Post by MJMcCready » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:35 pm

It could have been more incisive than what it was but that aside I can't see how someone who enjoys their chess and has been around for a bit can complain. Lot's of interesting personal accounts in it.

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 8458
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: Closing Gambit

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:12 am

John Sellen wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:27 pm
It is very easy for keen chess players to be critical about aspects of these films but surely we could all agree that more exposure of chess to the general public can hardly be bad
As the general public don't seem to have seen the film this dorsn't seem to stand up at all.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Bridgeman
Posts: 622
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:21 pm

Re: Closing Gambit

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:08 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:12 am
John Sellen wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:27 pm
It is very easy for keen chess players to be critical about aspects of these films but surely we could all agree that more exposure of chess to the general public can hardly be bad
As the general public don't seem to have seen the film this dorsn't seem to stand up at all.
It was made in 2018, but I’ve got a feeling it was only included as free on Amazon Prime fairly recently. Netflix and Prime are doing huge viewing figures in Covid times. We watched it last night and thought it was quite interesting and entertaining. A good history lesson for younger players too.

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 8458
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: Closing Gambit

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:08 am

You'd like a good history lesson not to be full of bad history though (a history graduate writes).
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Bridgeman
Posts: 622
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:21 pm

Re: Closing Gambit

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:13 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:08 am
You'd like a good history lesson not to be full of bad history though (a history graduate writes).
I don’t doubt there were a lot of things being abridged and embellished, but it was still colourful stuff. A great introduction to a rich time of chess. I don’t think the average English junior spends very much time generally reading about the past eras of chess. Having it in the visual medium is much more entertaining.

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 8458
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: Closing Gambit

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:24 am

You'd like entertainment not to be quite so dull, I think.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Sellen
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 4:30 pm

Re: Closing Gambit

Post by John Sellen » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:47 am

"As the general public don't seem to have seen the film this dorsn't seem to stand up at all."

Hopefully a few more will see it tonight when it is on TV for the first time
PBS America (Freeview channel 91 ) at 8.20pm
It was one of the picks of the day in the Sunday Times

Simon Rogers
Posts: 1121
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:30 pm

Re: Closing Gambit

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:57 am

John Sellen wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:47 am
"As the general public don't seem to have seen the film this dorsn't seem to stand up at all."

Hopefully a few more will see it tonight when it is on TV for the first time
PBS America (Freeview channel 91 ) at 8.20pm
It was one of the picks of the day in the Sunday Times
Yeah I read that aswell. We both read the same newspaper. Excellent chess reports by David Howell.
The programme is on to 9.40pm. I'll probably just watch it rather than record it as the signal strength is not very good for PBS America. Let's hope Netflix releases the Queen's Gambit for freeview in the future.
Not much else on TV tonight at the same time apart from Martin Lewis Money Show, Beat the Chasers and QI XL.
I'm guessing some people will probably watch Pooch Perfect on BBC1. :lol:
Programme change tonight on BBC1. No Question Time at 10.45pm as there was a Question Time Special last night at 7pm.

User avatar
Jon Mahony
Posts: 613
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:47 pm
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Closing Gambit

Post by Jon Mahony » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:34 pm

Yeah this is free on Prime video at the moment if you missed it, I can recommend it's very interesting.

There is plenty of Ramondo screen time, but justified here as he was Korchnoi's second at least.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Chris Bernard
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:56 pm

Re: Closing Gambit

Post by Chris Bernard » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:35 pm

A good film. Thanks for pointing it out on channel 91 which I otherwise would have missed.

Simon Rogers
Posts: 1121
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:30 pm

Re: Closing Gambit

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:45 pm

Chris Bernard wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:35 pm
A good film. Thanks for pointing it out on channel 91 which I otherwise would have missed.
I agree. I thought it was decent. Thanks to John for informing us. Good to see Raymond Keene, Nigel Short, Boris Gelfand, Danny King and Yasser Seirawan aswell.

Nick Grey
Posts: 1762
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Closing Gambit

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:58 pm

Not seen it or channel 91. Nor sign up to pay. Is there a yoghurt scene?

Post Reply