Closing Gambit

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Andy Stoker

Re: Closing Gambit

Post by Andy Stoker » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:58 am

I very much enjoyed it ... fascinating to see characters like Timman, Hort, Sosonko ... Conquest, Stean as they were recently. The match took place just before I (largely) gave up chess first time around. Yes, thank you for pointing it out - I watch little TV and would not have scanned the schedule for this channel.
I have an old bound copy of BCM and had been re-reading the excitement from the earlier Korchnoi-Spassky match, so this was a great companion.
The film is available to buy or rent on YouTube

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:29 am

Andy Stoker wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:58 am
...the earlier Korchnoi-Spassky match....
Hi Andy,

I did not watch it, seen it a few times before, I watched instead a copy of 'Derry Girls' which is/was the best thing on T.V. since Fawlty Towers.

'Chess Crisis' RDK's book of the Spassky match. It's good captures the games and background fun.
It does go into great detail, too much I thought, about the stage set up with plans of the stage.
The actual chess does not start till page 53! that bit is very good.

I have two copies, if you PM me any address I'll send you a copy (free!) I need the space!

I say any address because when I did The Corner I asked for chess magazines. The plan being to see if I could
get one from every country in the world! I did not want to use my home address so used the Sandy Bells pub address.

Soon the pub complained as I was being sent mags, chess themed biscuits, chocolates, books, DVD's, CD's and VHS tapes.
Even after I stopped The Corner chess things were still arriving. Wonderful surprises.

So if you give me the address of your local corner shop I will understand....but willl they?

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:17 pm

"chess themed biscuits"

Tell me more...

John Sellen

Post by John Sellen » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:34 pm

For anyone who missed it last night and wants to watch it it is repeated on Freeview 91 at 1555 today and Sunday at 1010 and 2010
It is quite ironic having started this thread I fell asleep yesterday evening after a few glasses of wine ( it happens at my age ) so will watch it this afternoon

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:49 pm

I thought it was decent. I knew about quite a lot of the goings on already, but there was quite a lot more that I didn't know. Interesting to hear the views of some of the other players, including from those who were probably too young to have known much about it at the time, e.g. Anand, Adams, Svidler.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:52 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:17 pm
"chess themed biscuits" Tell me more...
Biscuits shaped like chess pieces, the black pieces were dark brown.
I opened them in Bells and the punters dived in. I think I had two or three. The chocolates I ate at home.

John Sellen

Post by John Sellen » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:04 pm

Just watched it at long last
I thought it was great in reminding me about a period when I first became really interested in chess. Chess was exciting and dramatic in those days
So good to hear so much from strong grandmasters of the past. I don't see how any chess player could not get at least some enjoyment from it
Makes some of the relentless criticism we have seen on this forum seem petty and puerile

Andy Stoker

Post by Andy Stoker » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:12 pm

"'Chess Crisis' RDK's book of the Spassky match. .... I have two copies, if you PM me any address I'll send you a copy (free!) I need the space!"

Hi Geoff - what an extraordinarily kind offer - thank you indeed.

However, I hope you will not be offended if I pass... I have a queue of chess books waiting for study - and seem just as busy in the current situation as I was 12 months ago ... I fear if I did accept, it would sit on my shelf.

But I'm very grateful - thank you.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:20 pm

Hi Andy,

No problem, I'll E-Bay it.

(Justin will make hay with this - I cannot even give the RDK book away! :) )

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:25 pm

John Sellen wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:34 pm
For anyone who missed it last night and wants to watch it it is repeated on Freeview 91 at 1555 today and Sunday at 1010 and 2010
It is quite ironic having started this thread I fell asleep yesterday evening after a few glasses of wine ( it happens at my age ) so will watch it this afternoon
Thanks John for the information. Because I only have freeview, for me the programmes don't start until 1pm on PBS America.
I've looked at the guide for tomorrow evening and it starts at 8.10pm and finishes at 9.20pm. So hopefully that means there is fewer adverts. I've also retuned my TV and it should mean less buffering.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:57 pm

John Sellen wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:04 pm
Makes some of the relentless criticism we have seen on this forum seem petty and puerile
He said, in a petty and puerile way
Andy Stoker wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:12 pm
"'Chess Crisis' RDK's book of the Spassky match. .... I have two copies, if you PM me any address I'll send you a copy (free!) I need the space!"
I did have two copies of his 1978 book for years. I bought one at the time (or had one bought for me) and then got given another one for being the last player to lose to Jon Speelman in a simul organised because the 1983 Candidates semis were both postponed and so people who'd come to watch had nothing to see.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:13 pm

The Karpov v Korchnoi Closing Gambit programme is on PBS America again this week on Tuesday & Wednesday.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:56 pm

Just a reminder, Closing Gambit is on TV this evening.
PBS America, Freeview Channel 84.
7.20pm until 8.30pm.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:38 pm

It is also on tomorrow afternoon on:
PBS America, Freeview Channel 84.
2.40pm until 3.50pm.