Getting a CM Title

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joey Stewart

Getting a CM Title

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:05 am

What with the lockdown pushing us to mainly play chess online, I figured it might be worth paying the fide blood money to get this title as it seems to command some level of respect (and apparently free membership) on the bigger chess sites.

I am sure we have many CM (or better) players around the forum, so I figure there must be someone here who knows the process to getting one - I tried to contact fide but got some sort of rubbish about needing my "federation" to make the application on my behalf. I was sure that it was much simpler and you just got the 2200 rating, paid the iron price and were given the title - does anyone else have experience and know if this is the case or whether the guy I spoke to had just got it wrong?
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

David Clayton

Re: Getting a CM Title

Post by David Clayton » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:51 am

You may find this page useful on the ECF website.
https://www.englishchess.org.uk/fide-2/

Plus this on the FIDE website.
https://handbook.fide.com/chapter/B01Regulations2017

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:16 am

Joey Stewart wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:05 am
I am sure we have many CM (or better) players around the forum, so I figure there must be someone here who knows the process to getting one - I tried to contact fide but got some sort of rubbish about needing my "federation" to make the application on my behalf. I was sure that it was much simpler and you just got the 2200 rating, paid the iron price and were given the title ...
Correct, but you have to apply through your Federation, England. That is what FIDE were trying to explain to you.

David Clayton, who made the post above, is the person to contact.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:25 am

Thanks for the help both of you.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Joseph Conlon

Post by Joseph Conlon » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:24 pm

I did this last year, as I started playing again (online) and thought claiming the CM title would be useful to allow me into the titled arenas (plus the other small perks lichess and chess.com give you).

I had to join the ECF to make the application; having ascertained that higher membership was not necessary I joined as Bronze - I wonder whether that is the only title application made by a Bronze member.