What's GM short doing?!

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger de Coverly

Re: What's GM short doing?!

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:51 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:05 pm
That's ridiculous, most Iranian players bear no hatred whatever against Israeli players, I believe that Nigel has acknowledged this himself
If so, then why do the players persist in disrupting tournaments unless under direct instruction from their Federation or the Iranian authorities? Is not the FIDE motion an attempt to get the Federation to modify its behaviour and stop instructing its players to be disruptive?

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:36 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:51 pm
Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:05 pm
That's ridiculous, most Iranian players bear no hatred whatever against Israeli players, I believe that Nigel has acknowledged this himself
If so, then why do the players persist in disrupting tournaments unless under direct instruction from their Federation or the Iranian authorities? Is not the FIDE motion an attempt to get the Federation to modify its behaviour and stop instructing its players to be disruptive?
well, that distinction is highly important, of course, and as I say, I would prfer insights from Soheil and other Iranian players on that score.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:45 pm

So far as I can tell, Soheil has said that Iranian players would be happy to play Israelis and also that their federation does not force them not to do so. This makes their observed behaviour difficult to explain..
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:58 pm

so far as I can tell, Soheil says that "most if not all" Iranian players would "fear the consequences" if they played an Israeli player. For anyone even to hint that they players might be choosing to miss or default these games because of personal animosity is quite indefensible, unless they have surprisingly good evidence up their sleeve.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:59 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:58 pm
so far as I can tell, Soheil says that "most if not all" Iranian players would "fear the consequences" if they played an Israeli player. For anyone even to hint that they players might be choosing to miss or default these games because of personal animosity is quite indefensible, unless they have surprisingly good evidence up their sleeve.
So you believe the Iranian officials are lying when they insist that their players are acting purely on their own feelings when they refuse to play against Israelis. Fair enough, then how can they be allowed to continue to run a FIDE federation?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:09 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:59 pm
Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:58 pm
So you believe the Iranian officials are lying when they insist that their players are acting purely on their own feelings when they refuse to play against Israelis. Fair enough, then how can they be allowed to continue to run a FIDE federation?
That is what the large weight of evidence would appear to suggest, yes.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:19 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:45 pm
It is not a good look for the chess world generally that so many of their top players and arbiters either have escaped from their country or are being prevented from doing so.
The latest FIDE newsletter reveals that Sarasadat Khademalsharieh will play in the Gibraltar leg of the Women's Grand Prix, under the FID flag. This would suggest that the President's diplomatic efforts have succeeded in achieving her release, which is a good start.

Nigel Short

Post by Nigel Short » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:18 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:19 am
NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:45 pm
It is not a good look for the chess world generally that so many of their top players and arbiters either have escaped from their country or are being prevented from doing so.
The latest FIDE newsletter reveals that Sarasadat Khademalsharieh will play in the Gibraltar leg of the Women's Grand Prix, under the FID flag. This would suggest that the President's diplomatic efforts have succeeded in achieving her release, which is a good start.
Nick, I was also puzzled by that. On inquiry, it appears that it was a mistake, from the FIDE office, for listing Sara Khadem under the FIDE flag. They simply used an old template, involving Firouzja. It may look a bit suspicious, but it is just a cock-up.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:02 pm

Nigel Short wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:18 pm
Nick, I was also puzzled by that. On inquiry, it appears that it was a mistake, from the FIDE office, for listing Sara Khadem under the FIDE flag. They simply used an old template, involving Firouzja. It may look a bit suspicious, but it is just a cock-up.
Yes, I also got that back, wasn't sure whether I was supposed to release it. Anyway, it does seem that she will be permitted to leave Iran, which we thought was not necessarily the case.