Times cryptic chess clue

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Simon Brown

Re: Times cryptic chess clue

Post by Simon Brown » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:33 pm

Another from today's cryptic, which I rather liked; "Figure one Grand Master must enter with first class marks (8)"

Nigel White

Post by Nigel White » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:37 am

Yesterday's Guardian prize crossword had a chess theme: https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/prize/29284

As well as a few chess references in the clues, the full theme is only revealed, rather cleverly, when you look at the completed grid as a whole.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:24 am

Nigel White wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:37 am
Yesterday's Guardian prize crossword had a chess theme: https://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/prize/29284

As well as a few chess references in the clues, the full theme is only revealed, rather cleverly, when you look at the completed grid as a whole.
Finding it rather difficult at the moment. Filling a grid digitally is a new experience for me but at least it gets automatically saved. I have done about half of it. In passing I note that UNIQUER, one of the solutions, is an acceptable word. Discuss.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:11 am

"In passing I note that UNIQUER, one of the solutions, is an acceptable word. Discuss."

Totally unacceptable. Discussion ends, either it's unique or it isn't.

If I may digress, the blessed Susie Dent has told us that Oxford decided monosyllabic adjectives are now automatically assumed to have comparatives and superlatives. E.g. the controversial moist, moister and moistest.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:24 pm

Paul Habershon wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:24 am
Nigel White wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:37 am

Finding it rather difficult at the moment.
I am glad to say that this lot are finding it difficult too.🥵
https://www.crosswordsolver.org/forum/892594/offset/10

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:54 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:11 am
"In passing I note that UNIQUER, one of the solutions, is an acceptable word. Discuss."

Totally unacceptable. Discussion ends, either it's unique or it isn't.

If I may digress, the blessed Susie Dent has told us that Oxford decided monosyllabic adjectives are now automatically assumed to have comparatives and superlatives. E.g. the controversial moist, moister and moistest.

Does that mean you could now have uniquist as a word?
I do feel like some of the adjectives on countdown are pretty annoyingly arbitrary as to whether or not they are allowed comparatives - at least a blanket decision like that will stop as many unfair results.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:41 am

Finally got the blasted thing out, but it needed three sessions over two days, several look-ups to confirm tentative answers, and recourse to that Crosswordsolver site to nail 5d (I had one-third of it unaided, but the rest was beyond me).

I share the view that "unique" is one adjective that should NOT be allowed a comparative or superlative. (If around at the time, I'd probably have condemned "deader" and "deadest" too.) Susie Dent? I'd have taken issue with Sir James Murray himself had he tried it on.

Oh, and what was the answer to the clue in Simon's Jan 4 post? I'd need crossers for that; I keep working out plausible answers, but they're all seven letters long. :x
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:41 am

"Susie Dent?"

I believe she was quoting Oxford policies.

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:32 am

John Clarke wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:41 am

Oh, and what was the answer to the clue in Simon's Jan 4 post? I'd need crossers for that; I keep working out plausible answers, but they're all seven letters long. :x
Hi John

It was "stigmata".

I've vowed to have a go at the Guardian one when I have a spare hour, but I do find switching setters difficult. I'm used to the Times now so that doesn't take me too long. Will let you know!

Nigel White

Post by Nigel White » Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:09 am

I'll reveal the full theme after Friday's deadline for submitting entries to the paper for the chance of winning a prize.
Simon Brown wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:32 am

I've vowed to have a go at the Guardian one when I have a spare hour, but I do find switching setters difficult. I'm used to the Times now so that doesn't take me too long. Will let you know!
Unlike the Times, the Guardian has named setters, whose styles vary enormously. I don't recall having tried an offering by Kite, the setter of this one, before.

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:46 pm

OK, that took me about 90 minutes and had one answer I had never heard of, which I solved only by identifying the chess theme, which gave a helpful letter. A different type of setter for sure, but quite enjoyable and I liked the chess theme!

And no, "uniquer" shouldn't be allowed.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:35 pm

Simon Brown wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:32 am
John Clarke wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:41 am

Hi John

It was "stigmata".

Thanks, Simon. So "figure" = "stat", eh? I must glance through my crossword "dictionaries" more often ....
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:22 pm

Pretty tricky Times today, including this; "Moulding, very old, mostly seen in castles (5)"

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:10 pm

Simon Brown wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:22 pm
Pretty tricky Times today, including this; "Moulding, very old, mostly seen in castles (5)"
I've seen OVOLO before, but good to see O-O for castles being expected knowledge. The word is a good 'vowel dump' in Scrabble. Another one is EUOI, which I have never seen in a crossword.
I started going to Scrabble tournaments nine years ago and expected to see more chess players but have come across only R C (Bob) Lynn. The tournaments are usually divided A, B, C according to rating, 25 minutes for all moves being standard, though you don't lose on time. You get docked 10 points for each minute or part minute you exceed the limit. Players bring their own equipment, most having small 'SAM' timers that display minus values once your time has run out. Actually the DGT chess clock's Mode 35 is for Scrabble. Pairings are usually Swiss system, but they have some system where you can play someone more than once, particularly in later rounds. I have progressed to a high C player, but A division is another world.

Nigel White

Post by Nigel White » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:12 am

Nigel White wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:09 am
I'll reveal the full theme after Friday's deadline for submitting entries to the paper for the chance of winning a prize.
If you struggled through what was quite a tough crossword, as well as CHESS and BOARD being two of the answers in the middle row, you had on laid out on rows 3, 5, 13 and 15 (i.e. between the answer rows):
RNBQKBNR
PAWNS
PAWNS
RNBQKBNR