Times cryptic chess clue

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Mike Alderson

Re: Times cryptic chess clue

Post by Mike Alderson » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:28 am

Duchesses-dues=chess

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:22 pm

"I suggest you have a look at today's (Saturday) Guaurdian cryptic crossword. The whole puzzle is chess themed."

Your spelling of "Guardian" is fitting tribute to the paper's reputation!

I'm obviously spending too much time on sudoku as I have been struggling with this one. Assuming I've got 18A right, the chess theme eludes me, but I assume not every answer is chess-related.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:27 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:22 pm
I'm obviously spending too much time on sudoku as I have been struggling with this one. Assuming I've got 18A right, the chess theme eludes me, but I assume not every answer is chess-related.
I got 18A wrong at first. It's not one of the themed clues, though. I found the crossword much easier than some of the offerings earlier in the week, especially last Tuesday's centenary tribute.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:29 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
"I suggest you have a look at today's (Saturday) Guaurdian cryptic crossword. The whole puzzle is chess themed."

I’ve just completed it and I think 15 of the clues could be construed as chess-related, though none of them are chess-only words.

Re the Grauniad’s reputation, it is perhaps worth noting that it was The Times that gave Jon Speelman his famous nickname, and I think they rendered his name as “Specimen” not once but twice!
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:23 pm

John Saunders wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:29 pm
Kevin Thurlow wrote:

I’ve just completed it and I think 15 of the clues could be construed as chess-related, though none of them are chess-only words.

Re the Grauniad’s reputation, it is perhaps worth noting that it was The Times that gave Jon Speelman his famous nickname, and I think they rendered his name as “Specimen” not once but twice!
I frequent the Crossword Help Forum where some posters know compilers. Apparently Qaos, Saturday's Guardian setter, said on Twitter that there are 18 chess related clues. I did find out his identity. His 130/140ish chess rating has been inactive since 1997 when it looks as though he played at/for Trinity College, Cambridge.

I am reluctant to be the first to reveal his name. Unlike here, anonymity seems to be quite a thing for crossword compilers and many internet forums. However, there is an interview with Qaos (November 2012) where his name is mentioned, so I am probably being over-cautious.

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:06 pm

Paul Habershon wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:23 pm

I frequent the Crossword Help Forum where some posters know compilers. Apparently Qaos, Saturday's Guardian setter, said on Twitter that there are 18 chess related clues.
Ah, that's interesting... I recounted and still only found 15. Then I decided to check Twitter and found the dialogue Paul refers to...
Twitter person wrote:Really enjoyed this, loved the theme which on completion seems to be deeper than first seen
to which Qaos replied...
Qaos on Twitter wrote:Thanks! In total, 18 to spot today.
I had a closer look at the grid and think I can perhaps discern another three solutions which have a chess-related word contained within them (though one of these is very technical and would only be spotted by a clued-up competition player - perhaps I have missed a more mainstream one). Also, two of the chess-related solutions are nicely juxtaposed so that they form a very familiar chess phrase.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:30 pm

I can find at least 19 themed solutions.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:54 pm

"I got 18A wrong at first. "

Me too - however it is unfortunate that the clue fits both answers!

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:19 pm

9ac today.
Hurts to lose a second battle of wits (5)
C - - - -
(That was the letter I had when I solved it)

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:41 pm

Paul Habershon wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:19 pm
9ac today.
Hurts to lose a second battle of wits (5)
C - - - -
(That was the letter I had when I solved it)
Aches - a + s

Colin Purdon

Post by Colin Purdon » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:08 pm

Not The Times, but from this week's crossword in The Week:

Chess champion resorts to the heavens (7)

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:17 pm

Colin Purdon wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:08 pm

The Times wouldn't have that solution - he's not dead yet. They slipped up once with Giscard d'Estaing - at the time still alive in his 90s.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:55 pm

From today's Guardian Cryptic:

Criminals being executed? They start off being first rankers (5)

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:21 am

Colin Purdon wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:08 pm

Good to see the cryptic chess clues from anywhere rolling in. I don't suppose many have been struggling to solve that one, but as it's now been around for a few days I give you SPASSKY (resorts=spas, heavens=sky).

If you have a copy of BCM Quarterly No.11 - 'Boris Spassky's Road to the Summit' by WH Cozens - you can see on the front cover a picture of Boris at Hastings 1965-66. My head, with a Beatlish hair(non)cut, is visible just above his head in the front row of spectators. On my lap is a newspaper folded for the crossword (probably the D.Telegraph then).

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:07 pm

"Good to see the cryptic chess clues from anywhere rolling in.

'...from anywhere', yesterdays SUN

The Mating Game (5)