Patrick Alexander

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Christopher Kreuzer

Patrick Alexander

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:52 am

Does anyone here know more on this author?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_A ... r_(writer)

Richard James

Re: Patrick Alexander

Post by Richard James » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:08 am

In this game he blundered a piece on move 8. No relation, as far as I know, to CHO'D, FFL or Laurie. Also, I think, played for Surbiton. Not a very strong player: graded about 110.

Last edited by Richard James on Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:21 am

Heh, thanks, Richard. I have been following the threads on the other Alexanders, it was a complete coincidence that I came across another one! That reminds me of another chess history thread that deserves another look...

John Saunders

Post by John Saunders » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:32 am

Yes, I knew Pat Alexander slightly back in the 1980s when he came to some Mitcham Chess Club meetings, though I think he was more closely affiliated to Surbiton Chess Club. He was graded 113 on the 1979 SCCU Grading List, which showed three affiliations (Mushrooms as well as Surbiton and Mitcham). I recall he decided to give up chess in the early 1980s, and brought a part of his large chess library to Mitcham to give away to anyone who wanted a book. He had been a journalist and a screenwriter before writing novels. I believe he wrote scripts for a TV show of the time called Crown Court though his IMDb CV doesn't include this. I vaguely remember reading his novel Death of a Thin-Skinned Animal, which is Frederick Forsythe-ish. The central character was said by other club members to be loosely based on another Mitcham player of that time called Terry Ashby (who disappeared from the chess scene in the mid to late 1980s). Pat lived in Worcester Park. I have no games played by him on my database.
Personal Twitter @johnchess
Britbase https://www.britbase.info
(I prefer email to PM - contact me via this link - https://www.saund.org.uk/email.html)

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:07 am

Thanks, John. The novel was made into a film and does sound Frederick Forsythe-ish! Not sure if the chess made it into the film.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:01 am

"The central character was said by other club members to be loosely based on another Mitcham player of that time called Terry Ashby (who disappeared from the chess scene in the mid to late 1980s)."

I played him in 1973 (Redhill vs Mitcham), and also played an Adam Alexander in 2001 in the Surrey League, curiously in both games I was the white side of a Dragon...

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:32 am

John Saunders wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:32 am
… which showed three affiliations (Mushrooms as well as Surbiton and Mitcham) ...
The Mushrooms connection would explain why Pat's name rang a bell with me - other present/former Mushrooms, of whom there are only very few on this site, might have more distinct memories.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:48 am

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:32 am
The Mushrooms connection would explain why Pat's name rang a bell with me - other present/former Mushrooms, of whom there are only very few on this site, might have more distinct memories.
Before my time, but I shall enquire.

David Sedgwick
Mushrooms CC Chairman