Double Check and Mate

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John McKenna

Re: Double Check and Mate

Post by John McKenna » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:49 am

John Nunn, who is playing vigorously in online tournaments. He has kindly annotated a game for us – one in which for the first time in his career he mated his opponent with a double check...
https://en.chessbase.com/post/chess-under-covid

Last edited by John McKenna on Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martin Benjamin

Post by Martin Benjamin » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:20 pm

I delivered an en passant mate the other night in a blitz game, which may be the one and only time I ever do this.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:24 pm

Martin Benjamin wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:20 pm
I delivered an en passant mate the other night in a blitz game, which may be the one and only time I ever do this.

Congrats! Never got anywhere near that myself.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:08 am

I saw a friend in a match a number of years ago under promote a pawn into a knight for checkmate.

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:27 am

I don't think I've ever got to play a double check at all, let alone deliver mate with one. And only one played against me (the way my opponent yelled it out, it must have quite rare with him too).

But since we seem to have strayed into unusual mating patterns generally, the oddest I ever had was a back-rank mate by my rook, with a brace of my pawns on the sixth covering the king's flight-squares. (Yes, there had been some pretty incompetent play to have allowed it.)
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:37 am

John Clarke wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:27 am
I don't think I've ever got to play a double check at all
I must say that I thought they were very common.

Many years ago I played one against a young opponent who muttered under his breath "double check, king must move". Obviously true, but I realised that I had never previously thought about it in that way.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:00 pm

Screenshot (1).png
A few months ago I was bored and amusing myself by playing against the lichess computer on a low level. It was all knockabout stuff but I somehow ended up with this rather attractive position (double check and mate and wins the opposing queen to boot).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Eric Gardiner

Post by Eric Gardiner » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:16 pm

I did a search of my competitive standardplay games since 2000 (slightly over 1000 games) which found 6 games where a double check was made. So I can at least say they are not very common in my games!

EDIT: In no cases did the double check deliver mate.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:45 pm

I have 27 games that included a double-check in my database of my games. That's a little less than 1%.

One was also a mate by me: