A game I enjoyed

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Nicky Chorley

A game I enjoyed

Post by Nicky Chorley » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:43 am

I'm playing lots of correspondence games these days, on chess.com, lichess.org as well as through the ICCF, while we wait for OTB chess to resume when it's safe to do so. I particularly enjoyed this game and my opponent made the unwise decision to open up his king after castling long, instead of playing on the kingside.

I haven't done any serious analysis, but some notes:

14. ... Bxb4 looks like it should be a safe pawn; I just missed that.

17. Kc2 a5 younger me would have just played Nc4 likely without hesitation, but I realise now that it gets in the way of my other pieces and opening up the king is better to give me more chances to attack.

29. ... Bxf6 I think is best there. Taking with the knight means it leaves the wonderful outpost and I'd waste time bringing it back and taking with the pawn makes the king a bit unsafe and even though I'm material up now, I wonder if White would have some counterplay since the major pieces are still on.

37. ... Bf1 I enjoyed playing this move taking away more squares from the king. The idea I saw was to bring the other bishop to c1 and the king to f5 or h5 before ending with Rxe3#. It's not forced, since the rook should be able to defend the first rank, but I would need to get the dark squared bishop in somehow in any case.

Nick Ivell

Re: A game I enjoyed

Post by Nick Ivell » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:25 am

It was certainly unwise to castle on the Q-side, and then play those weakening pawn moves.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:52 am

Hi Nicky,

A good fun game, always enjoyable when your opponent opens up the files v their King for you.

Round about 1978/79 I was 8-9 moves in on the Black side of a Benko Gambit, I had the open 'a' and b-files
and of course the Bishop on g7 when my opponent suddenly played 0-0-0(!) the game lasted just a few moves after that.

Here (Black to play)

Nothing wrong with 31...Qb5, I would have gone for 31...Qb6 with threats of 32...Bb5 and 32....Rc3.
Kings and Queens on the same diagonal when possessing the two Bishops are, to me, moths to a flame
and Rc3 ties the White Queen to holding the e3 Bishop thus opening up the box of overloaded Queen combo's.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:52 pm

Castling queenside without playing dxc5 is usually a bad idea for white in the Steinitz French, and black can often launch a fierce attack by means of ...c4 and ...b5-b4.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:27 pm

Castling queenside was wrong. It just gave you an easy target and the initiative.
For me, I have a number of games that I have enjoyed playing over the years for various reasons. Mostly wins but a couple of losses aswell.
From the top of my head, the games I have enjoyed the most are:
1. My loss to GM Nigel Short with black in a simul.
2. My first competitive Italian Game win against Nick Fawcett in the league.
3. My win against John Cooper when I played 1. b6
4. My draw against Bob Taylor, when he used to play for Preston. I played the KIA for the first time.
5. Three wins of mine against Brett Lunds' English Opening.
6. My win a couple of years ago against Phil Taylor's Alekhine.
7. Two wins white and Black v Oleg Cukovs.
8. My draw against Roy Ellames.
My last game at Blackpool Congress, which I should've lost.
Two games in South Lakes and Blackpool Congresses against Tony Robinson and Phil Foley (Upminster), both ended in draws but quite messy.
There was a win of mine against Henrick Stepanyan, when he was a junior at the Blackpool Congress. We had a large audience for the last half of the game. I think it was another KIA.
I would like to post these games gradually in General Chat and Chess Questions.
I would like to post one of our Ukrainian CMs games, when she was a junior against another Ukrainian who is now a WGM and she also played at last year's Isle of Man Tournament.
I hope that's ok with you all.
Many thanks.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:51 pm

One of my last OTB games before "The Lockdown".
Pity the last 2 moves spoil an interesting miniature.
Paul Robert Jackson

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:42 pm

I thought you were a bit unlucky in the game Paul. Andrew is a very good player and can find some unexpected moves.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:43 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:27 pm
Castling queenside was wrong. It just gave you an easy target and the initiative.
For me, I have a number of games that I have enjoyed playing over the years for various reasons. Mostly wins but a couple of losses aswell.
From the top of my head, the games I have enjoyed the most are:
1. My loss to GM Nigel Short with black in a simul.
2. My first competitive Italian Game win against Nick Fawcett in the league.
3. My win against John Cooper when I played 1. b6
4. My draw against Bob Taylor, when he used to play for Preston. I played the KIA for the first time.
5. Three wins of mine against Brett Lunds' English Opening.
6. My win a couple of years ago against Phil Taylor's Alekhine.
7. Two wins white and Black v Oleg Cukovs.
8. My draw against Roy Ellames.
My last game at Blackpool Congress, which I should've lost.
Two games in South Lakes and Blackpool Congresses against Tony Robinson and Phil Foley (Upminster), both ended in draws but quite messy.
There was a win of mine against Henrick Stepanyan, when he was a junior at the Blackpool Congress. We had a large audience for the last half of the game. I think it was another KIA.
I would like to post these games gradually in General Chat and Chess Questions.
I would like to post one of our Ukrainian CMs games, when she was a junior against another Ukrainian who is now a WGM and she also played at last year's Isle of Man Tournament.
I hope that's ok with you all.
Many thanks.
Here is the first game I'm posting from the list.
It is my game from the last round of the Blackpool Chess Congress from March last year.
My opponent was from Newham Chess Club in London.
Not the best of games, but I enjoyed because after a terrible opening, my opponent played a slight inaccurate move and the momentum changed.
Here it is:
Blackpool Chess Congress Round 5
Minor U135 15/03/20
White: John Illingworth 122 Black: Simon Rogers 131
1. d4 Nf6 2. g3 g6 3. Bg2 Bg7 4. e4 d6 5. h3 Nd7
6. Be3 e5 7. c3 O-O 8. Qd2 a6 9. Ne2 Rb8 10. a4 Re8
11. d5 Nc5 12. Qc2 h6 13. b4 Ncd7 14. Na3 Kh7
15. c4 Ng8 16. c5 Nf8 17. Rc1 f5 18. cxd6 cxd6
19. a5 Nf6 20. f3 fxe4 21. fxe4 N8d7 22. Nc4 Bf8
23. Nb6 Nxb6 24. Bxb6 Qe7 25. Qc7 Bd7 26. Ba7 Rbc8
27. Qxb7 Rxc1+ 28. Nxc1 Bb5 29. Qxe7+ Bxe7
30. Kd2 Nh5 31. Bf2 Rf8 32. Ke1 Bg5 33. Ne2 Rc8