Using a ball in chess

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
MJMcCready

Using a ball in chess

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:53 pm

Over the years we've all been caught up in conversations on how to improve chess or what changes we would make if we were empowered to do so. You hear many different answers and explanations and some which are no different.

I was thinking how could we improve the game so that it becomes more popular than what it is. Then it occured to me that if we can introduce a ball into the game, that would improve chess no end. But how do we introduce a ball into the game? I was thinking that maybe you could turn the pawns into balls seeing as they have a ballhead. Then you could flick them about. Kids would love that. Or maybe you could bring your own ball and boot it at your opponent when it's his turn to move.

They're my best two suggestions so far. How else could we use a ball in chess? Maybe a game of headers during matches or something? As I am sure you agree, there's no ball in chess. But that's just wrong. All the best games use a ball, like Football, Cricket, Rugby, Snooker and darts for example. Does anybody have any other feasible suggestions for using a ball in chess? And don't forget, computers can't use balls, so we can go back to being better than them again.

NickFaulks

Re: Using a ball in chess

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:57 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:53 pm
Then it occured to me that if we can introduce a ball into the game, that would improve chess no end.
But don't we all know that the ball is a natural vector of disease?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:19 pm

You have a point. So pawns are more likely to spread disease than rooks, and not just because there's more of them?

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:29 pm

You're 12 years late with your idea. Here's a chess set where every piece has a ball at the bottom - https://uk.umbra.com/products/wobble-chess. Not sure if you could flick them on the supplied board, but you should be able to on a normal flat board.
Last edited by Ian Thompson on Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:01 pm

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:47 pm

So many sports commentators like to use the expression "this is like a game of chess". But you don't often hear chess commentators saying "this is like a game of football"
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:40 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:47 pm
But you don't often hear chess commentators saying "this is like a game of football"
I believe I have heard a decisive move not infrequently described as "putting the ball in the back of the net".

It didn't take long for "Game Over" to move sideways from the first generation of video games and become a chess commentator's standby.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:37 am

Well, I often say that I like to play with a flat back three, by that I mean if I castle kingside I don't move any of the pawns in front of it if I can help it. When I played for Bedfordshire against Nottinghamshire we had a halftime break during the match. Cheap biscuits and scolding hot tea served whilst play was stopped. Half-time team talks might work as could substitutions. If someone is playing rubbish, have him subbed and someone else take his seat.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:19 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:47 pm
So many sports commentators like to use the expression "this is like a game of chess". But you don't often hear chess commentators saying "this is like a game of football"
Perhaps because you don't get many chess players falling over and claiming they were tripped by their opponent?

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:49 pm

I've seen chess players dive as they walked past their opponent then got an arbiter to either disqualify him or get him to buy them a new mobile phone. I've seen many Grandmasters pull that trick. Rolling around on the floor pretending to be injured so that they could get their opponent sent off. Chess players are much bigger cheaters than footballers. I had a game once where I went to the lavatory and when I got back all my pawns and pieces had been removed from the board. When I asked my opponent what he was playing at, he brought out a second score sheet showing they had already been captured earlier in the game. I wouldn't have minded but we were only on move 13.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:09 pm

MJMcCready wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:49 pm
I had a game once where I went to the lavatory and when I got back all my pawns and pieces had been removed from the board. When I asked my opponent what he was playing at, he brought out a second score sheet showing they had already been captured earlier in the game. I wouldn't have minded but we were only on move 13.
You were obviously playing a rank amateur. In the circumstances you outline, real professionals fix a lock to the lavatory door and win on time while you're still bellowing "Somebody let me out!".

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:53 pm

I was once told I drew a game I won. My opponent was unhappy that he didn't see I left my queen en prise for 17 moves and took the loss badly. He reported it as a draw when I checkmated him. Scoresheet solved the issue.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:21 pm

I suppose the chess equivalent of football diving tends to take place in time scrambles - the sort of people who leave pawns on deliberately ambiguous squares to buy an extra move, hold the clock down on their opponents press, knock a bunch of pieces over but press the clock anyway and trying to force the opponent to fix it, making illegal moves and setting your clock running to buy them a bit of extra time ...etc etc etc.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:24 pm

What Joey decried, above, is the wrecking ball.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:54 pm

The beauty of cheating in chess is it often shows people for what they really are.