(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Reyes

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by John Reyes » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:30 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:13 pm
David Robertson wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:45 pm
Very correct. And totally impractical. Who'd want to undertake all this faff just for a game of chess? And it still doesn't eliminate the risks impacting on key at-risk groups. Good try, mes amis, but no cigar
The French, being the French will have a load of rules. And just ignore them.
What about the USA??
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:29 am

Photos of the German seniors tournament that has been running in Bischofsgrün, Bavaria

http://chessorg.de/bischofsgruen.php

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:50 am

I'm not sure that I wish to see photos of chess being played in other countries. I find it less encouraging than distressing.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:00 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:50 am
I'm not sure that I wish to see photos of chess being played in other countries.
Two tables, two sets, one clock.

I suppose your clock button is no further away than i8.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:21 am

ECF and Government guidance to clubs
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:58 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:21 am
Government guidance
in which
Indoor gatherings are limited to members of any 2 households (or support bubbles); while outdoor gatherings are limited to members of any 2 households (or support bubbles), or a group of at most 6 people from any number of households.
and
2d: Vulnerable people

Certain groups of people are at increased risk of severe disease from coronavirus (COVID-19), including all people aged 70 or over. Such individuals are advised to stay at home as much as possible and, if they do go out, to take particular care to minimise contact with others outside of their household.
I've seen suggestions that the legal position and the guidance aren't the same.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:16 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:58 am
Mick Norris wrote:
Government guidance
in which
Indoor gatherings are limited to members of any 2 households (or support bubbles); while outdoor gatherings are limited to members of any 2 households (or support bubbles), or a group of at most 6 people from any number of households.
and
2d: Vulnerable people

Certain groups of people are at increased risk of severe disease from coronavirus (COVID-19), including all people aged 70 or over. Such individuals are advised to stay at home as much as possible and, if they do go out, to take particular care to minimise contact with others outside of their household.
I've seen suggestions that the legal position and the guidance aren't the same.
I think you may have inadvertently curtailed the advice, which is:

From 4 July, users of community facilities should limit their social interactions to 2 households (including support bubbles) in any location; or, if outdoors, potentially up to 6 people from different households. It will be against the law for gatherings of more than 30 people to take place.
However, premises or locations which are COVID-19 secure will be able to hold more than 30 people, subject to their own capacity limits, although any individual groups should not interact with anyone outside of the group they are attending the venue with – so in a group no larger than 2 households or 6 people if outdoors.
Where gatherings have more than 30 people, those operating venues should take additional steps to ensure the safety of the public and prevent large gatherings or mass events from taking place. At this time, venues should not permit indoor performances, including drama, comedy and music, to take place in front of a live audience.

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:48 am

"I've seen suggestions that the legal position and the guidance aren't the same".

This is not comment on the particular issue about community facilities, but I believe that in general there has been a lack of distinction in media reporting, indeed in English government announcements, between what is a guideline (however firmly expressed) and what is the actual law.

PB

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:56 am

Golders Green on Sept 12 is booked, and I wondered whether that might be realistic? I am sure you are all asking these questions too, but

What measures are the venues taking to keep the venue / toilets clean during events?
What are the venues requirements for hirers? Advice is to clean the toilets every 15 minutes.

My short term plan is to see how things go, I actually don’t mind waiting till January to restart chess tournaments at St Luke’s.

I just need to check that my public liability insurance is still valid!!

My thoughts about arrangements I would need to introduce for tournaments;

temperature taken at the door, no entry if you have a temperature
maximum 80 players
One game per 6 ft table, 40 tables
Reduced to 4 sections in total
no spectators
this also means no younger players needing accompanying parents
no payments on the day (all in advance, so no handling cash or cards)
I will offer players a free transfer if notified by XX because we could see a second wave at some point
hand gel provided at the arbiters desk
A one way system (spray on the floor in temporary paint)
no refreshments but free water, tea and coffee so we can use both rooms for players
no handshakes
wearing masks at the board will be compulsory (not sure we can provide them)

what do you think?
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:34 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:56 am
no refreshments but free water, tea and coffee so we can use both rooms for players
Hi Adam,

I've seen it stated that there should be no refreshments at all except those brought by the players themselves which they should also take away with them.

I cannot remember where I saw this (ECF Guidelines?) but it registered because I immediately thought that would affect availability of some venues unless they changed their policy.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:54 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Golders Green on Sept 12 is booked, and I wondered whether that might be realistic? I am sure you are all asking these questions too, but

What measures are the venues taking to keep the venue / toilets clean during events?
What are the venues requirements for hirers? Advice is to clean the toilets every 15 minutes.

My short term plan is to see how things go, I actually don’t mind waiting till January to restart chess tournaments at St Luke’s.

maximum 80 players
no spectators
I will offer players a free transfer if notified by XX because we could see a second wave at some point
no handshakes

what do you think?
I would be strongly against compulsory masks. The German event I linked to showed it was not compulsory there, and it will not be at Biel - left to individual discretion
Last edited by Tim Spanton on Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:23 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:

maximum 80 players
no spectators
no handshakes

what do you think?

Mick Norris wrote:
ECF and Government guidance to clubs

Hi Adam. I would suggest that you download and complete the ECF document to which Mick linked. That may give you a better feel as to whether or not you wish to go ahead.

"I just need to check that my public liability insurance is still valid!!"

That is crucial, of course.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:24 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:

Does this mean gambits are forbidden? I ask because whenever I play them they raise my pulse and sometimes make my blood boil. Would I be removed from play if, for example, I opened with the King's Gambit and started sweating in the opening?

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:01 pm

"temperature taken at the door, no entry if you have a temperature"

I would amend that to "an elevated temperature" - I expect everyone here has some sort of temperature!

Looks good though.

I did like the advice,

"At this time, venues should not permit indoor performances, including drama, comedy and music, to take place in front of a live audience."

Many of my own games have featured comedy and drama, and all too often, some sort of band practice has occurred nearby in the building. On the rare occasions that there has been an audience, I could not comment on whether it was live.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:31 pm

Temperature checking is one of those things that people like to do because it feels like doing something, but it really isn't a good way to screen.
(Not that there is one!)
Alex McFarlane wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:34 pm
Adam Raoof wrote:
Hi Adam,

I've seen it stated that there should be no refreshments at all except those brought by the players themselves which they should also take away with them.

I cannot remember where I saw this (ECF Guidelines?) but it registered because I immediately thought that would affect availability of some venues unless they changed their policy.
There's a more basic problem here in fact.

If you've got compulsory mask wearing (a good thing) then there's simply no eating or drinking at all. Like on public transport.

You'd have to let the players go out of the playing area, remove/bag masks, wash hands properly and then go and eat somewhere with appropriate space for distancing. Might be possible for a quick play but you'll need to allow a long time between rounds.