(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:06 pm

Doctors are loudly calling for plan B precisely because the government is sceptical. Given how much the latter sold vaccines as a "passport to freedom" and then announced "FREEDOM DAY" with much fanfare (and not even the tiniest "depending on conditions" small print) I remain highly sceptical that anything beyond token measures will happen barring a totally catastrophic situation (worse than anything envisaged now)

As far as chess locally is concerned, a majority of former players seem to have returned (and some new ones)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:03 pm

I sometimes follow the number of daily positive tests on https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

It is often updated about 16:00 hours. Since about August, the figure had been pretty stable for a few weeks and not usually exceeding about 40,000 a day, and only gradually increasing. But it has now broken into new ground, having touched over 49,000 the other day. Does anyone understand why?

John Townsend

Post by John Townsend » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:09 pm

Today's figure is back over 49,000.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:02 pm

John Townsend wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:03 pm
... But it has now broken into new ground, having touched over 49,000 the other day. Does anyone understand why?
The scientists I follow on Twitter have been screaming about the lack of mitigations in schools. It looks like highly-infectious Delta variant + schools operating without mitigations + colder weather + slow rollout of vaccinations to 12-15yos got things going. Current ONS data (for the w/e 9 October) shows an estimated 8.1% of children in school years 7 to 11 are infected.
Last edited by Angus French on Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:06 pm

Caplin Hastings is due to start 29 December 2021 and will be very similar to earlier years, though not, of course, 2020-2021 which never happened.

On the other hand, sadly Gibraltar are not running their usually open congress. They are organising an invitation only male and female competition.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:11 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:06 pm
On the other hand, sadly Gibraltar are not running their usually open congress.
I don't know what other suitable venues there are in Gibraltar, but isn't the Caleta Hotel closing and due for demolition?
https://www.gbc.gi/news/caleta-hotel-pa ... new-hilton

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:12 pm

Angus French wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:02 pm
John Townsend wrote:
... But it has now broken into new ground, having touched over 49,000 the other day. Does anyone understand why?
The scientists I follow on Twitter have been screaming about the lack of mitigations in schools. It looks like highly-infectious Delta variant + schools operating without mitigations + cold weather + slow rollout of vaccinations to 12-15yos got things going. Current ONS data (for the w/e 9 October) shows an estimated 8.1% of children in school years 7 to 11 as infected.
Seems likely - there's always been remaining potential for up to ~100k infections a day in the population, as the modellers were talking about a few months ago. The question in some ways was why it hadn't already happened.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:27 pm

Roger >I don't know what other suitable venues there are in Gibraltar, but isn't the Caleta Hotel closing and due for demolition?
https://www.gbc.gi/news/caleta-hotel-pa ... new-hilton<
That is very strange. Brian Callaghan, the proprietor, wrote to me only the other day and made no comment about the demolition plans. BUT, if they don't have planning permission yet, then it is likely nothing new will happen in early 2021.
He also made no mention of the recent building of a hotel in a cruise ship, permanently in Gib which also gave extra rooms to The Rock.
There have been other plans over the years for the Caleta Hotel which have fallen through.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:50 pm

Angus French wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:02 pm
John Townsend wrote:
The scientists I follow on Twitter have been screaming about the lack of mitigations in schools. It looks like highly-infectious Delta variant + schools operating without mitigations + colder weather + slow rollout of vaccinations to 12-15yos got things going. Current ONS data (for the w/e 9 October) shows an estimated 8.1% of children in school years 7 to 11 are infected.
It is schools and probably the work commute. Two of my kids tested positive on PCR today, with both impacted very mildly. I have it worse with that dratted endless cold doing the rounds!
HDCA President

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:54 pm

One of my daughter's schoolfriend's tested positive today and is clearly unwell; her Economics class was interrupted by a teacher wielding a carbon dioxide monitor before announcing it had the highest reading in the 6th form and insisting all the windows were opened (all the students have colds, the college doesn't ask them to wear masks)
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:48 pm

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:00 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:48 pm
An interesting opinion piece
From the piece
They may be sitting opposite an unvaccinated junior during their game. Covid rates are currently extremely high amongst this younger school-aged group.
Take risk mitigation by banning unvaccinated juniors then.

I don't think the ECF has any legal powers to force organisers to insist on masks being worn, nor do organisers have much power beyond the ability to exclude players from their events.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:13 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:00 pm
Matthew Turner wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:48 pm
An interesting opinion piece
From the piece
They may be sitting opposite an unvaccinated junior during their game. Covid rates are currently extremely high amongst this younger school-aged group.
Take risk mitigation by banning unvaccinated juniors then.

I don't think the ECF has any legal powers to force organisers to insist on masks being worn, nor do organisers have much power beyond the ability to exclude players from their events.
No point in banning unvaccinated juniors as the vaccine does not prevent the spread. Besides, the rate it is ripping through schools means many will now be immune.
HDCA President

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:00 pm

Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:13 pm
No point in banning unvaccinated juniors as the vaccine does not prevent the spread. Besides, the rate it is ripping through schools means many will now be immune.
There is theory quoted that it's less risky to the children themselves to allow the spread amongst under 18s than to vaccinate them. But what about the exposure of adults they might come into contact with?

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:05 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:00 pm
Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:13 pm
There is theory quoted that it's less risky to the children themselves to allow the spread amongst under 18s than to vaccinate them. But what about the exposure of adults they might come into contact with?
That is only the case if the vaccines prevent the spread. They do not and cap the impacts. Weirdly, I do not have it, despite the kids. Maybe it is the vaccine? Maybe I had COVID when I was severely ill prior to the outbreak and I was in Singapore with work? No idea.
HDCA President