(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
MartinCarpenter

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:32 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:10 pm
Leagues which are yet to produce their fixture lists may find that they have missed the boat.
Very hard to say, I think. Its probably the right thing to do try and restart the leagues, but the situation is still maddening and any leagues this year are going to be rather compromised.

Obviously there's still a bunch of players who don't want to play quite yet, and they certainly have a bit of a point. The case rate has been fluttering at the same sort of annoying level for a while - not enough by itself to shut things down but far more people dying than ideal and it wouldn't take much extra to leave us facing a temporary shutdown at some point in Nov/Dec.

I'm actually playing this Saturday (under sufferance to a fair degree) then probably not again until the new year.

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:54 pm

Only 3 clubs (out of 13) in the Stockport League willing to take part this season, so that is obviously not viable. Still waiting to hear the numbers and arrangements for the Manchester League.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:23 pm

In a bit of a contrast, only one Cumbrian club (Keswick) has chosen to opt out of the league this campaign.

As for the possibility of a winter shutdown, I personally remain sceptical. Deaths, whilst still too high, are massively skewed towards those who have not been vaccinated - and the number who have had at least one jab is imminently set to pass 90% of the eligible population.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:05 pm

Still that vexing time lag until really protected of course. The medics seem very unsure.

Yorkshire league is trying for maybe 75% teams overall, we'll find out how well that works this weekend. York seem to have players, but definitely down on strength Vs normal.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:09 pm

Reg Clucas wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:54 pm
Only 3 clubs (out of 13) in the Stockport League willing to take part this season, so that is obviously not viable. Still waiting to hear the numbers and arrangements for the Manchester League.
42 teams, about the same as normal

Fixtures currently being checked

Format on the ECF LMS
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:11 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:05 pm
Still that vexing time lag until really protected of course. The medics seem very unsure.

Yorkshire league is trying for maybe 75% teams overall, we'll find out how well that works this weekend. York seem to have players, but definitely down on strength Vs normal.
Once again Martin, the Yorkshire League is not "trying" anything. A tremendous amount of work has taken place to restart the league as best we can. There is some reduction in participation, as is to be expected, with the counterweight of enthusiastic new teams in the lower division.

But as you have not taken any active role in this work (as usual) you are in absolutely no position to comment.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own

Eric Gardiner

Post by Eric Gardiner » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:37 pm

Andrew Zigmond wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:11 pm
MartinCarpenter wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:05 pm

Once again Martin, the Yorkshire League is not "trying" anything. A tremendous amount of work has taken place to restart the league as best we can. There is some reduction in participation, as is to be expected, with the counterweight of enthusiastic new teams in the lower division.

I think this is just Martin's writing style. Some state opinions as if they are facts whereas others like myself and Martin try to :) express themselves more cautiously. I'd also use the phrase "trying to start" with regards to the Yorkshire League. Apart from Covid concerns, there's also the concern this weekend that away teams might be unable or unwilling to travel because of difficulties obtaining fuel. I hope that we will all be able to agree after a couple of months that the league "has succeeded" in restarting !

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:10 pm

Yes precisely that :)

It's nobodies fault at all, just how it is. I've still got some visibility into York and we've obviously got loads of very committed players, have dropped a team (4 to 3) and we're still basically 'coping' rather than comfortable.

Can easily see a few teams struggling a bit. Hopefully we'll all make it to the new year basically intact then things should probably improve.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:28 am

Barnstaple are back in action. https://chessgospinny.blogspot.com/2021 ... chess.html

Not sure how much chess we will play against other clubs, but we don't do much of that anyway.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:03 am

Central London League held its first games at its new venue in Pimlico last night (Battersea and Battersea 2 both lost)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:10 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:03 am
Central London League held its first games at its new venue in Pimlico last night (Battersea and Battersea 2 both lost)
No, we started on Sep 9th and this was our fourth week.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:03 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:10 pm
Tim Spanton wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:03 am
No, we started on Sep 9th and this was our fourth week.
Apologies - I had no idea; Battersea and Battersea 2 must be behind other teams in visiting the new venue

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:41 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:03 pm
Apologies - I had no idea; Battersea and Battersea 2 must be behind other teams in visiting the new venue
Yes, one reason is that they kicked off by playing each other at their own place.

In any case thanks for mentioning CLL, which I knew that I should have done!
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:25 am

Well the Yorkshire league broadly worked in functional terms. No one was really very near full strength.

For anyone travelling to Calderdale wrap up warm - they've got a brilliant venue for Covid safety. Vast church hall with 1000ft high ceellings. Drawbacks expected in winter!

Andrew Zigmond

Post by Andrew Zigmond » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:17 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:25 am
Well the Yorkshire league broadly worked in functional terms. No one was really very near full strength.

For anyone travelling to Calderdale wrap up warm - they've got a brilliant venue for Covid safety. Vast church hall with 1000ft high ceellings. Drawbacks expected in winter!
I'm getting sick of your catty insults. I've done nothing else except chess administration all week. It didn't "broadly" work - it worked, largely due to club organisers putting in the effort to get teams mobilised. The Silver Rook consisted almost entirely of new players.

Of course participation is down from where it was - that's to be expected after an 18 month lay off and a national pandemic. It's happening everywhere.
Controller - Yorkshire League
Chairman - Harrogate Chess Club
All views expressed entirely my own