(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:20 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:15 am
There seems a real question now as to whether the government has completely cocked things up again spreading out the two doses so widely. Time will tell I suppose!
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-uk- ... n-12193205
If anybody can mess this up, they can.......
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:04 pm

"There seems a real question now as to whether the government has completely cocked things up again spreading out the two doses so widely. Time will tell I suppose!"

Speaking as a scientist, it's a good idea with medicines to read the leaflet and do what the supplier says. Just ignoring the supplier is not sensible (after all they have done tests to justify their advice). Also, if a drug of any sort is wrongly administered and something goes wrong, the supplier can justifiably say, "Not our fault".

Let us hope that it still works in this case.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:59 pm

It’s definitely not been the best ever day for Covid related news. You had Sir Patrick Vallance on morning television doing his best Bruce Forsyth impression on 1st dose immunity ...lower than 89%, higher than 33%. He guessed at around 50%.
And the breaking news story on Sky this afternoon isn’t so surprising - it’s the South African strain probably does beat current vaccines, and will re-infect people who have previous covid antibodies according to a current study. But it’s yet to be properly peer reviewed.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:14 pm

I think its "possibly" rather than "probably". There has been a massive panic over this which may yet prove to be unjustified.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:16 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:04 pm
Also, if a drug of any sort is wrongly administered and something goes wrong, the supplier can justifiably say, "Not our fault".
They covered that early on by demanding indemnity anyway, but I agree that from their point of view this should nail it down.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:20 pm

Chess going on in Malta organised by one of the few rated FIDE players Clarence Psaila. Clarence told ne a while ago that Charlie Storey (who was 50 a couple of days ago) would have a tough time getting international chess going in Malta as they see chess as a kids game like Ludo. Anyway Clarence did a great job getting a tournament on at this time:

"The XYChess Winter Open is under way! We had to be patient but finally it was possible to combine a wonderful venue (the Kennedy Nova Hotel), excellent safety measures and an international chess atmosphere as 20 players from 10 different countries!
Here are some pictures to enjoy - recognise the faces? If not, you're not alone! One of my main aims of organising any tournament is to introduce new players or bring back some long forgotten ones - in this tournament we've had no less than 10 players who've only played once or not at all in Malta to my knowledge 🙂
Pairings and results are here:
Results:
https://chess-results.com/tnr546146.asp ... art=2&rd=1
Pairings Round 2:
https://chess-results.com/tnr546146.asp ... art=2&rd=2

Photo of Clarence:

The players all live in Malta and work from home. The measures in place:

1) The hall is ventilated with a door to the courtyard open;

2) there's two meters between each table;

3) temperature checks, mandatory mask wearing, frequent use of sanitizers, boards and pieces are also sanitized.
Clarence says that nothing can be 100% safe, but he guarantees it's safer than going to a restaurant or Cafe.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:40 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:20 pm
Chess going on in Malta organised by one of the few rated FIDE players Clarence Psaila. Clarence told ne a while ago that Charlie Storey (who was 50 a couple of days ago) would have a tough time getting international chess going in Malta as they see chess as a kids game like Ludo. Anyway Clarence did a great job getting a tournament on at this time:

"The XYChess Winter Open is under way! We had to be patient but finally it was possible to combine a wonderful venue (the Kennedy Nova Hotel), excellent safety measures and an international chess atmosphere as 20 players from 10 different countries!
Here are some pictures to enjoy - recognise the faces? If not, you're not alone! One of my main aims of organising any tournament is to introduce new players or bring back some long forgotten ones - in this tournament we've had no less than 10 players who've only played once or not at all in Malta to my knowledge 🙂
Pairings and results are here:
Results:
https://chess-results.com/tnr546146.asp ... art=2&rd=1
Pairings Round 2:
https://chess-results.com/tnr546146.asp ... art=2&rd=2

Photo of Clarence:

The players all live in Malta and work from home. The measures in place:

1) The hall is ventilated with a door to the courtyard open;

2) there's two meters between each table;

3) temperature checks, mandatory mask wearing, frequent use of sanitizers, boards and pieces are also sanitized.
Clarence says that nothing can be 100% safe, but he guarantees it's safer than going to a restaurant or Cafe.
On the one hand it’s nice to see. I suppose on the flip side a lot of players might want to wait until a post-vaccine world. What are the current odds on Long Covid, 1 in 20? CT scans on the lungs coming up looking like ground glass.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:03 pm

Happy 50th Birthday Charlie Storey.
I didn't realise he was that young.
There is a couple of pictures of him in the British Chess News dated 18th January.
Although John U has not posted the topic in the Birthdays and Anniversaries Category yet.
To celebrate his half century, I wonder if Charlie will pardon or release anyone from his troll prison.
I did hear it was getting a bit overcrowded in there.
I can't remember who is in there exactly, but I thought someone can come out for good behaviour.
I remember last year, I was nearly sent into his troll prison but after a plea of not guilty, I was given a conditional discharge.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:18 pm

Not much chance of Brits travelling to Malta to play under current rules (from the UK government):

Travel is subject to entry restrictions
From 22 December Malta has restricted normal commercial flights from the UK. Scheduled flights may be subject to short notice cancellation.
Unauthorised travel from the UK to Malta will not be permitted, however Maltese Nationals, those with residency permits, and those with evidence of residency (including if you have applied for a residency permit and have received an interim receipt issued by the Department for Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs), currently in the UK will be able to return.
Air Malta will continue to operate regular flights for those planning to travel to Malta or return to the UK.
From 22 December all passengers from the United Kingdom will be required to provide a negative Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) test taken no more than 72 hours prior to travel.
Passengers will also be subject to a PCR test on arrival and a mandatory 14 day quarantine with a further PCR test between day 5 and 7.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:27 pm

One industry where vaccination may be a requirement of taking part:

Anyone going on a Saga holiday or cruise in 2021 must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, the tour operator has said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55738918

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:38 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:20 pm
Chess going on in Malta organised by one of the few rated FIDE players Clarence Psaila.
184 of them, in case anyone is counting.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:10 am

I thought Charlie must be 60 on football claims last time I spoke to him.
I hope Malta goes well.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:17 am

Simon Rogers wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:03 pm
Happy 50th Birthday Charlie Storey.
I didn't realise he was that young.
There is a couple of pictures of him in the British Chess News dated 18th January.
Although John U has not posted the topic in the Birthdays and Anniversaries Category yet.
To celebrate his half century, I wonder if Charlie will pardon or release anyone from his troll prison.
I did hear it was getting a bit overcrowded in there.
I can't remember who is in there exactly, but I thought someone can come out for good behaviour.
I remember last year, I was nearly sent into his troll prison but after a plea of not guilty, I was given a conditional discharge.
Sorry Simon but the breaking news this morning from the hardline regime in Malta is not good. Yesterday I sent a plea for leniency but Charlie clearly has not got more tolerant with age. Far from commuting the sentences he has increased them to an indefinite period. I'm afraid nothing short of an intervention by Dominic Raab will help all those poor unfortunate souls languishing in Troll Prison, Rumours are that the inmates will now be forced to learn the Sniper Opening so it might be necessary to bring in Amnesty International as well.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:21 am

Nick Grey wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:10 am
I thought Charlie must be 60 on football claims last time I spoke to him.
I hope Malta goes well.
Definitely 50 according to his FIDE profile

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:36 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:17 am
Rumours are that the inmates will now be forced to learn the Sniper Opening so it might be necessary to bring in Amnesty International as well.
Please remember that my Tactical Missile system is also still available. For just 10000 Maltese Lira you can learn to play c6 and d5 against everything by following my comprehensive training program of downloading some of Dreev's games from TWIC.