(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Stephen Westmoreland

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:46 pm

3 I think. Rest wore hazmat suits and were disinfected on entry and exit. If that is ok?
HDCA President

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:17 pm

Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:36 pm
Great to go to Bury with the Yorkshire u1650s and u2050s today to face Lancashire. Always a pleasure and fantastic to have county chess back. 24 players today.
Strange isn't it, that Greater Manchester haven't played a match there to my knowledge, although we haven't played a home game in a decade or so now
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:35 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:17 pm
Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:36 pm
Great to go to Bury with the Yorkshire u1650s and u2050s today to face Lancashire. Always a pleasure and fantastic to have county chess back. 24 players today.
Strange isn't it, that Greater Manchester haven't played a match there to my knowledge, although we haven't played a home game in a decade or so now
Without going into a complete hornet's nest with this one (COVID sarcasm aside), I understand and have an opinion.
HDCA President

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:48 pm

Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:46 pm
3 I think. Rest wore hazmat suits and were disinfected on entry and exit. If that is ok?
You jest but since "freedom day" on 19 July 2021, I make it that:

- at least 33,185 have died in the UK with Covid mentioned as a cause on the death certificate (source: download from the Government's Coronavirus dashboard); and
- the numbers of people living in the UK with Long Covid symptoms has increased (e.g. the estimated count of people with symptoms 4 weeks or more after infection increased from 970,000 on 1/8/21 to 1,500,000 on 31/1/22; for the same dates the estimated count for people with symptoms 12+ weeks after infection increased from 817,000 to 1,100,000; and the estimated count for people with symptoms 1 year+ after infection increased from 384,000 to 685,000 - source: ONS surveys published 2/9/21 and 3/3/22).

Covid infection is being linked to increased risks of, at least: heart disease, onset of diabetes and neuropsychiatric illness.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:13 pm

Hence the hazmat suits Angus. However, 24 consenting adults / children played a game of chess - which is great. Also it is 'with' and within 30 days and not of.

Society is now relatively open and play is down to personal choice. I was not (to partially invoke Warhammer), luring the gullible into Nurgle's garden.
HDCA President

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:44 pm

Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:13 pm
Hence the hazmat suits Angus. However, 24 consenting adults / children played a game of chess - which is great. Also it is 'with' and within 30 days and not of.

Society is now relatively open and play is down to personal choice. I was not (to partially invoke Warhammer), luring the gullible into Nurgle's garden.
And still you're joking about hazmat suits.

It's "of" not "with" - mentioned as a cause of death on the death certificate and not necessarily within 30 days (or even 28 days) of infection.

Do the "consenting" adults understand the risks? Do the "consenting" children? Do not the organisers of events have a duty of care to ensure participants are informed of the risks?

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:10 pm

I am Angus. I firmly believe in personal choice and not that nanny knows best (it turns out that nanny was ignoring their own rules and has a huge drinking problem). People chose to be there today and the youngest person there was 12 years old. He knew the risk, has had COVID and is vaccinated (also more affected by the vaccine than when he had COVID tbh).

As for myself, I have had both doses as well as COVID (5 month after my 2nd jab) and long COVID on top of that. It affected my play for a couple of month. Saying that, I am a great believer in the Oxford/AZ vaccine and what it did to reduce hospitalisation rates.

In terms of risks, there are statements in the ECF rules. If people want to play, let them. Those that do not want to play and are concerned about COVID, do not have to play. We should not be imposing restrictions on others or stopping activities to allay other's fears. Let's just play chess and enjoy it.
HDCA President

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:11 am

I feel at this point that we can live our lives normally as long as anyone who has clear symptoms stays home and society doesn't lapse back into the utterly toxic British mentality of "if I'm ill then everybody else can be too "
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:53 pm

Bit of a quiet one at Poulton-le-Fylde Chess Club tonight. Just the five of us. Although we spent the first hour analysing my game against Graham Ashcroft of Preston in the league.
Cleveleys Chess Club for Juniors reopens this Thursday.
Lytham 1 also play Preston 1 in the league then.
We (Poulton 1) have our final league match next Monday at home to Preston 2 in the top division.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:09 am

Good luck. We have just lost our venue for a bit, due to a botched refurb. Did a club night in our temporary but new Holmfirth Centre trendy bar and had five new players turn up. 18 in on the night, which is damn good going - if we keep them.
HDCA President

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:22 pm

Swiss Young Masters cancelled, rapid tournament takes place 20 April
Unfortunately, the Swiss Young Masters had to be canceled today. 5 of the 10 players tested positive for the SARS-CoV-2 virus after some had already shown the first symptoms the day before. Since a regular chess tournament cannot be held under these circumstances, the OC decided together with the players to cancel it.

However, the Rapid tournament on Sunday, April 24 will take place as planned.

We regret the unfortunate outcome of such an exciting tournament and hope for a new edition in one of the next few years.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:53 pm

This is indeed going to be the new normal.

Five of the ten tested positive, so no problem with them catching it. The other five either had already had it or were reconciled to the fact that, on the basis of living normal lives, they were obviously likely to get it soon. But because it is the SARS-CoV-2 virus, not just a common cold, the tournament is cancelled.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:07 pm

Its still more serious, and infectious, than "a cold". Though thankfully becoming less likely to cause death or serious illness.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:24 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:07 pm
Its still more serious, and infectious, than "a cold".
More infectious yes, but maybe that's a good thing. Everyone gets it and that's that.

More serious for "Young Masters", no. I got it not long ago and, being over 70, I realise it might have knocked me back a bit ( although it didn't ). I don't know how many years I have left, but I shall not spend them hiding in a cellar.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Phil Neatherway

Post by Phil Neatherway » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:23 pm

You mean, everyone gets it and then they get again a few weeks later.