(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:13 pm

Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:22 pm
Nothing will happen until COP26 is done with. Think that is about 2 weeks!
We certainly need to close the border with Scotland. They have thousands of people jetting in from all parts of the world, including red zones, unvaccinated and subject to no restrictions. If that doesn't bring about a new wave, then a lot of received wisdom will have to be reviewed.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:17 pm

It is OK Nick. The red travel list has emptied just in time for this. All safe! Sure it will all pop back in two weeks.
HDCA President

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:02 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:13 pm
We certainly need to close the border with Scotland.
Talking of Scotland (and Wales), have they held or planned any Congresses or League matches?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:54 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:02 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:13 pm
We certainly need to close the border with Scotland.
Talking of Scotland (and Wales), have they held or planned any Congresses or League matches?
Nothing in Wales as far as I know.

Bob Clark

Post by Bob Clark » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:00 pm

A couple of Welsh clubs have played matches.
https://www.wirralchessleague.uk/results

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:28 pm

I can speak for North Wales only. The Chester & DCL (where I play) embraces clubs from Wales along the coast. The League was suspended in March 2020, and has yet to restart. Very tentative proposals have been presented to restart from January 2022. But there's very little clamour from most clubs to do so yet. If the League does restart (and there must be a sizeable doubt), it will be severely depleted. 50% of clubs have indicated they will field no teams at all for the moment. Divisions will be reduced from three to two; team boards reduced from five to four. Officers of the League, and club reps, have been impressively pitch-perfect and sensible throughout this difficult period (with one exception :roll: ). But it's been a testing time for all concerned.

The nearby Wirral League, which includes one or two Welsh clubs, has restarted since mid-Oct. It's a very much depleted League, a sad decline from a flourishing enterprise hitherto. Div 1 is reduced from nine teams to four; four divisions of nine teams have become three divisions of six or fewer. And of fifteen teams across all divisions, ten come from just two clubs, Chester & Wallasey (five each). From the few matches played so far, there's evidence of absences and severe depletion of playing strength.

The larger and stronger Liverpool League has been in play for a month. It too shows signs of depletion and player absence, though not as severe as in the Wirral League. Matches in Div 1 are now 7-board, not 8-board - a change long overdue anyway, in my opinion, and 6-board would be justified now. Divisions are reduced from five to four (I think); and some single-team smaller clubs do not appear to have resurfaced

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:37 pm

We had one club not come back in the Huddersfield League, so started playing flexible board orders in matches due to the new players coming in. Leading to matches fielding more than 20 players at times.

It is nice and active, with my club having a good and active club night. Long may it continue.
HDCA President

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:44 am

Have readers had their pneumonia jab? I had that some years ago. It didn't stop me getting pneumonia more recently, but it may have lessened the impact. I first had pneumonia when I was 3 or 4 years old.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:37 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:44 am
Have readers had their pneumonia jab? I had that some years ago. It didn't stop me getting pneumonia more recently, but it may have lessened the impact. I first had pneumonia when I was 3 or 4 years old.
I was offered the pneumonia/pneumococcal vaccine when I had my flu jab on Tuesday. I asked for time to research it, and, having done so, will probably make an appointment after I return from Scarborough

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:37 pm

Scarborough Congress is going well.
Great to see so many chess players. I'll post more detail in the Congress Diary soon. Lots of interesting games.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:57 pm

I have also picked up some leaflets at Scarborough for other tournaments which I'll post in the Congress Diary Category next week.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:35 am

David Robertson wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:28 pm
Officers of the League, and club reps, have been impressively pitch-perfect and sensible throughout this difficult period (with one exception :roll: ). But it's been a testing time for all concerned.
So are you saying that we should copy the Chester League rather than the Wirral or Liverpool leagues, and not reconvene until the new year?
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

MSoszynski

Post by MSoszynski » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:37 am

The Dudley & District Chess League will not be reconvening for the 2021-22 season but looks forward to 2022-23. This is because of "the lack in numbers of teams wishing to take part. [...] it would appear with the other local Leagues starting later this year that fitting in extra matches in the Dudley League is not required by the majority of Clubs at this time." There are several nearby alternatives that have already succesfully restarted including the Birmingham League, and the Cannock League.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:24 pm

The Blackpool & Fylde League has restarted.
Scarborough Congress was well organised.
My report is coming soon in the Congress Diary.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:01 pm

Joseph Conlon wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:47 pm
Angus French wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:21 pm
Joseph Conlon wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:22 pm
We know from eg New Zealand that among an unvaccinated population Delta spreads even through such fleeting encounters that can last seconds.
What's your evidence that transmission can be through "fleeting encounters that can last seconds"?
When Delta took off in Australia and New Zealand this summer, the very small cases numbers allowed (in some cases) complete contact tracing, including cases of transmission from people walking past each other in a shopping mall (the CCTV of this can be found somewhere on the web because I have seen it before).

One link is

https://www.fastcompany.com/90662386/ju ... ant-spread

but putting 'fleeting encounter' 'Covid' 'Delta" and 'Australia" into google will give lots.
Is there evidence of this happening outside of Australia in June?