(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Bridgeman

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:54 pm

Simon asked me to post a couple of links where counties have recently made some Covid related announcements.

Shropshire Chess has suspended all over the board chess;
https://www.shropshirechess.org/announc ... suspended/

Dorset Chess have stated all adults and children over the age of 11 have to wear a baseball cap …I mean face covering.
https://www.dorsetchess.co.uk/

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:18 pm

Ha ha yes
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:52 pm

On a lighter note, I believe one of the biggest chess clubs in the North West of England, Atticus Chess Club Liverpool, is still going ahead with their Christmas Party tonight:
"Atticus Christmas Party, Monday December 20th at Zorba's 7pm."
"The Atticus Xmas Party will be held at Zorba's Greek Restaurant on Monday December 20th at 7pm."
https://www.atticus.merseysidechess.org.uk

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:10 pm

I forgot to mention also it says on the Atticus Chess website:
"Please note you can bring your own bottle of wine and pay a small corkage fee if you wish."

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:47 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:54 pm
Dorset Chess have stated all adults and children over the age of 11 have to wear a baseball cap …I mean face covering.
I thought the legal rule of thumb was that masks had to be worn inside Community Centres except in the bar area.

The rules that would apply to conference centre hotel venues as used by the 4NCL remain to be seen.

Either way I don't think local or even national chess bodies should be inventing rules for the sake of it. That's rules not required either as a condition of using a venue or as a consequence of government emergency decrees.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:36 pm

J T Melsom wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:04 pm
Not sure volunteer organisers owe anything to the wider chess community. I think the wider community has a debt to the organisers that it is reluctant to properly acknowledge.
Why do you keep wittering on about volunteer organisers as if these people were unpaid and as if there were organisers in other activities who are made to put on events? Conscription ended a long time ago.
Organisers very much owe to the wider chess community not to cancel events on a whim when entrants have forked out for accommodation and transport costs that will not always be recoverable, especially when the cancellations come too late for easily making alternative arrangements.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:29 pm

A bit of a quiet one tonight at Poulton-le-Fylde Chess Club. Just seven of us here playing friendlies and exchanging Christmas cards.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:17 pm

Tim
I've seen your latest wittering. I won't be responding to you on this occasion.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:06 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:36 pm
J T Melsom wrote:
Not sure volunteer organisers owe anything to the wider chess community. I think the wider community has a debt to the organisers that it is reluctant to properly acknowledge.
Why do you keep wittering on about volunteer organisers as if these people were unpaid and as if there were organisers in other activities who are made to put on events?
Maybe he thinks that organisers are doing their best in very difficult circumstances.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:37 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:06 pm
Tim Spanton wrote:
J T Melsom wrote:
Why do you keep wittering on about volunteer organisers as if these people were unpaid and as if there were organisers in other activities who are made to put on events?
Maybe he thinks that organisers are doing their best in very difficult circumstances.
Some do rather better than others

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:10 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Organisers very much owe to the wider chess community not to cancel events on a whim
"On a whim"
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:44 am

Simon Rogers wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:29 pm
A bit of a quiet one tonight at Poulton-le-Fylde Chess Club. Just seven of us here playing friendlies and exchanging Christmas cards.
We had small numbers in but more expected Wednesday. From a news trawl this morning, there is hope for the New Year with the restriction data called into question.
HDCA President

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:04 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:43 pm
"What do you mean, we never said you should cancel your event? We just happened to mention that it would inevitably cause hundreds of unnecessary deaths and they would be your fault".
I would read between the lines and cancel the event, because liability. But I think I'm in a small minority among chess organisers. Taking people's chess events away over legal niceties? What is this cowardice? Have you no morals?
Tim Spanton wrote:
Organisers very much owe to the wider chess community not to cancel events on a whim
And this is why, pace Roger, it can help for the national body to invent some rules. It means the local organisers don't get it in the neck, either for deciding to go ahead or deciding to cancel.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:10 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:04 am
I would read between the lines and cancel the event
Of course you would, my point was that the Government would say that was entirely your own decision and the subsequent bankruptcy of your business was nothing to do with them.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:49 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:19 pm
Angus French wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:27 am
Re the doubling periods:
The doubling thing fails to consider that regardless of governement diktat, that if the public were convinced that regardless of vaccination status they were liable to catch a deadly desease if they ventured out and met other people, that they would stay at home. That might be particularly true of the immediate post Christmas period when a shutdown of offices and businesses is almost normal.

Incidently does anyone still believe that COVID infections are transmitted by contaminated chess pieces?
Is it part of this doubling assumption that, if 50% of the population have the virus on the Nth day, the other 50% will inevitably catch it on day N+1 ?