(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Joseph Conlon

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Joseph Conlon » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:47 pm

John Sellen wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:52 pm
Personally I would be happy to play in congresses without too many restrictions if I knew the other participants had been vaccinated

Two questions for forum members
1. Is it reasonable for congress organizers to ask for proof of vaccination ( there will almost certainly be some sort of Vaccine Passport by that time )
2.If so what about juniors who may not have have been vaccinated

Would be interested to hear opinions on this
On freedom of association grounds, I think it reasonable to have events catering both for those who would only play in events where they knew all participants had been vaccinated, and also events for those who would only play in events which made no conditions on vaccination status.

With my junior events currently, there are some parents who would only want their children to participate if I were more stringent on restrictions (eg requiring face coverings for U11s) in a way that would make other parents unwilling to enter their children.

I think it would be unreasonable for 'major' events such as the British championships to require vaccination status.

Paul Buswell

Post by Paul Buswell » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:49 pm

I only play on a small handful of congresses a year so I'm not an important customer.

I'm not greatly concerned about the legal aspects of requiring proof of vaccination (or whatever), at least in the chess context I'm not. I leave it to the organisers to make their own decisions in pursuit of their own aims.

However, for what it's worth, my own personal risk assessment at the moment is that I would be completely fine about playing in an event that was completely unrestricted in who it admitted. I'd be more concerned about any on-site restrictions, e.g. having to wear a mask, that would detract from my enjoyment of the event.

PB

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:44 pm

Playing in a mask would not bother me particularly. But I think there are strong views on both sides. My thinking a few months ago was this would make things easier for tournaments than leagues in the summer. Tournaments could offer what they think best and people can decide whether to enter or not. Whereas leagues have some obligation to find a solution acceptable to all or most clubs.

I'm a bit more pessimistic about UK summer tournaments now though, just because I'd underestimated the practical difficulties with venues which some people have explained. So perhaps the most optimistic I should be is to hope for a good covid situation in the autumn and the resumption of leagues

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:28 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:44 pm
I'm a bit more pessimistic about UK summer tournaments now though, just because I'd underestimated the practical difficulties with venues which some people have explained.

At the moment I think there are just two probables. In July there's the 4NCL weekender near Leamington and at the end of September the Northumberland weekend in North Shields. That one came close to taking place last year, but was thwarted by a local lockdown following a .growth in cases.

If the 4NCL one takes place and is a sell out, there might be others, perhaps assuming that venues become available.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:53 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:45 pm
I have listed those I know of here: https://beauchess.blogspot.com/2021/04/ ... dated.html
Thanks for mentioning Pimlico, fingers crossed!
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:51 pm

Golders green rapid on 10 july, 17 july, 7 Aug and 14 August

Muswell Hill Masters 9 to 13 August, 10 player apa!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:42 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:56 pm
Adam Raoof wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:24 pm
https://chesscircuit.substack.com/

From Sheffield with love
Hi Adam.
Can't get on website. It says it can't provide a secure connection. Something to do with protocols.
Need to disappear for a little while everyone. I've got my first covid vaccination in Blackpool in less than a hour's time.
Apologies, corrected link above!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat May 01, 2021 10:47 am

The latest guidance from the ECF has been published at https://www.englishchess.org.uk/latest- ... formation/.

This guidance is applicable after 21st June, the date on which all restrictions are scheduled to be officially lifted.

I shall start a poll.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat May 01, 2021 10:55 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:47 am
This guidance is applicable after 21st June, the date on which all restrictions are scheduled to be officially lifted.
It seems to me that the document is attempting to apply restrictions where none will officially exist.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat May 01, 2021 10:58 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 10:55 am
It seems to me that the document is attempting to apply restrictions where none will officially exist.
I have now started a poll to gauge the reactions of members of this Forum.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Sat May 01, 2021 10:59 am

If I have to wear a mask as either player or spectator, count me out.

John Sellen

Post by John Sellen » Sat May 01, 2021 12:46 pm

"The latest guidance from the ECF has been published at https://www.englishchess.org.uk/latest- ... formation/."

I don't understand this
After 21 June all restrictions should have been lifted .This document would seem to assume nothing has changed.

To be ultra cautious why not ask for proof of vaccination and a recent Covid test for entrants just before the event and then hold the it without any of these irksome rules and restrictions

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat May 01, 2021 12:58 pm

John Sellen wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:46 pm
To be ultra cautious why not ask for proof of vaccination and a recent Covid test for entrants just before the event and then hold the it without any of these irksome rules and restrictions
The legality of imposing such conditions on a domestic event remains debatable. It still remains the point that if the ECF wants to reboot OTB chess, then it should oppose restrictions likely to prevent or discourage organisation and participation. That includes lengthy and possibly pointless check lists for organisers and paranoia about touching chess pieces.

Gareth T Ellis

Post by Gareth T Ellis » Sat May 01, 2021 1:45 pm

Unread post by Roger de Coverly » Sat May 01, 2021 12:58 pm

John Sellen wrote: ↑Sat May 01, 2021 12:46 pm

The legality of imposing such conditions on a domestic event remains debatable. It still remains the point that if the ECF wants to reboot OTB chess, then it should oppose restrictions likely to prevent or discourage organisation and participation. That includes lengthy and possibly pointless check lists for organisers and paranoia about touching chess pieces.
Meanwhile this is happening: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/u ... -1.4553461

Luckily I get my 2nd jab this week.