(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Mick Norris

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:52 am

There's a bit about Long Covid on the BBC website which is summed up by
Long Covid is an emerging phenomenon that is not yet fully understood
This follows on from Covid jab probably does protect those around you
Think of it as a ladder, with the worst Covid effects - intensive-care admission or death - at the top and the mildest - no or asymptomatic infection - at the bottom. Being vaccinated effectively moves people down the rungs of this ladder.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:04 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:25 am
What date is it today?
Chris Rice wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:14 am
Simon Rogers wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:06 am

We've not heard from the Sniper since the end of January.
I believe he was building extra wings on Troll Prison to welcome new inmates. It was getting a bit crowded.
I suspect that you can forget about Charlie arranging anything in Malta. This was 5 hours ago on FB:

"After careful consideration of all that Malta and Gozo has to offer, in comparison with living in England, I have decided to return to England as I am missing the weather, the excessive taxes on taxes, guidance from Boris, increasing erosion of privacy, social disorder, isolation from EU. I also miss the Nanny state, the erosion of Christian principles throughout society, the traffic queues.
In Gozo I will miss the tranquility, my Queens Gambit Chess Villa with Pool, My www.QueensGambitAcademy.com and www.MaltaChess.com Academies for kids, the lovely weather, the friendly people, incredible beaches, the spiritual sites, the classic cars, the laid back lifestyle, friendly communities and my £100 a year car insurance with breakdown recovery.
Bye Bye Gozo and Malta it has been an incredible 7 Lockdown months. 👋 Back to England."
Thought I was going to pick up one or two with that Adam! He'll never come back is my guess. I mean why would he?

Last edited by Chris Rice on Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:29 pm

"Being vaccinated effectively moves people down the rungs of this ladder."

Nice analogy - needed to try to roughly explain something scientific to non-scientists. It's no good being technical...

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:49 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:04 pm
Adam Raoof wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:25 am
What date is it today?
Chris Rice wrote:

I suspect that you can forget about Charlie arranging anything in Malta. This was 5 hours ago on FB:

"After careful consideration of all that Malta and Gozo has to offer, in comparison with living in England, I have decided to return to England as I am missing the weather, the excessive taxes on taxes, guidance from Boris, increasing erosion of privacy, social disorder, isolation from EU. I also miss the Nanny state, the erosion of Christian principles throughout society, the traffic queues.
In Gozo I will miss the tranquility, my Queens Gambit Chess Villa with Pool, My www.QueensGambitAcademy.com and www.MaltaChess.com Academies for kids, the lovely weather, the friendly people, incredible beaches, the spiritual sites, the classic cars, the laid back lifestyle, friendly communities and my £100 a year car insurance with breakdown recovery.
Bye Bye Gozo and Malta it has been an incredible 7 Lockdown months. 👋 Back to England."
Thought I was going to pick up one or two with that Adam! He'll never come back is my guess. I mean why would he?

The picture shows Charlie surveying the land as to where he is going to build his second troll prison. Unless it will be an internment camp and Charlie scraps the judiciary.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:09 am

I am organising a junior OtB event (simul against an IM followed by game analysis). April 15th in a central location in Henley-on-Thames.
Details here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11634

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:14 am

On the 21-June-2021:
....All legal limits on social contact will be removed
....No legal limits on the number of people who can attend weddings, funerals and other life events
though it is looking like you will be expected to keep social distancing.

From Govt's own website:
We must carry on with ‘hands, face, space’.
Comply with the COVID-Secure measures that remain in place.
Paul Robert Jackson

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:25 am

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:14 am
On the 21-June-2021:
....No legal limits on the number of people who can attend weddings, funerals and other life events

From Govt's own website:
Hi Paul,

a bit earlier in this thread, this was discussed at length and the following elements provided:

* the legislation: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/202 ... 364_en.pdf
In there, exception 13, 20.e.2 specifies that "Exception 13 is that the gathering is reasonably necessary for the purposes of supervised activities for children or other persons who were under the age of 18 on 31st August 2020"

* government guidance https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... pring-2021
States for phase 2 "All children’s activities, indoor parent & child groups (up to 15 parents)." and "All children will be able to attend any indoor children’s activity, including sport, regardless of circumstance."

Both texts clearly allow all indoor children activity with no limits.

You are referring to the end of limits for adults, but children supervised indoor activities are released earlier on April 12th.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:38 am

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:25 am
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:14 am
On the 21-June-2021:

From Govt's own website:
Hi Paul,

a bit earlier in this thread, this was discussed at length and the following elements provided:

* the legislation: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/202 ... 364_en.pdf
In there, exception 13, 20.e.2 specifies that "Exception 13 is that the gathering is reasonably necessary for the purposes of supervised activities for children or other persons who were under the age of 18 on 31st August 2020"

* government guidance https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... pring-2021
States for phase 2 "All children’s activities, indoor parent & child groups (up to 15 parents)." and "All children will be able to attend any indoor children’s activity, including sport, regardless of circumstance."

Both texts clearly allow all indoor children activity with no limits.

You are referring to the end of limits for adults, but children supervised indoor activities are released earlier on April 12th.
I was thinking along the lines that venues might be reluctant to have groups of adults playing chess
....as they will be worried about complying with Social Distancing Guidelines.
There is no indication of when Social Distancing might end.
Paul Robert Jackson

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:51 am

Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:38 am

I was thinking along the lines that venues might be reluctant to have groups of adults playing chess
....as they will be worried about complying with Social Distancing Guidelines.
Absolutely, parents will not be allowed to say inside, only adults part of the organisation of the "supervised children activity" can stay inside.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:47 pm

Is there any indication whether that's law or guidance? There may be no practical difference if insurers enforce the guidance by withdrawing cover.

Paul Robert Jackson

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:10 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:47 pm
Is there any indication whether that's law or guidance? There may be no practical difference if insurers enforce the guidance by withdrawing cover.
At the moment it only looks like guidance.
Paul Robert Jackson

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:50 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Simon Rogers wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:22 am

If he's resolved his differences with the local Malta federation, perhaps the Sniper will pop up with something.
I believe he was building extra wings on Troll Prison to welcome new inmates. It was getting a bit crowded.

Can somebody please reassure me that this was an April Fool hoax?

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:54 pm

Roger Lancaster wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:50 pm
Chris Rice wrote:
Simon Rogers wrote:

Yes, you are safe!
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:57 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:54 pm
Roger Lancaster wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:50 pm
Chris Rice wrote:

Yes, you are safe!
Thanks, Adam, I would hate to think of such a talent being lost to Malta.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:55 pm

According to the Malta Chess website:
Charlie " is a world famous Chess Master " and "his dream is to make Malta one of the best Chess playing nations in the world ".