(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul Robert Jackson

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:03 am

Interestingly that now we are now over a year without much "normal chess".
The number of topics & posts on this "Forum", also appears to be reducing,
Paul Robert Jackson

Joseph Conlon

Post by Joseph Conlon » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:28 pm

Jacques Parry wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:28 am

Joseph, I'm not sure whether you mean you agree with me on this, or only with Wadih. For what it's worth, I would argue that junior chess events are probably not "supervised activities" within the meaning of the legislation, because the context implies that an activity is only exempt if supervised by someone who is in loco parentis; but, for practical purposes, what matters is that both the roadmap and the explanatory memorandum refer to all children's activities. There is no mention of supervision at all, and therefore no question as to what counts as supervision. Why it should be OK for children to meet indoors as long as they are doing something, but not if they just want to chat, is beyond me; but there it is.
Jacques: The distinction I am trying to make is that I would say the LJCC (as ordinarily run) is not a supervised activity for children in the ordinary meaning of these words, because if rounds are separated by 2 hours then children can spend the majority of time not in the chess hall and in ordinary unsupervised contact with other children and adults. I am trying to ensure the events I organise would be called a supervised activity for children, by minimising time outside the playing hall and structuring it so that families are socially well separated in waiting areas (rather than the higgledy-piggledy struggle for space that junior tournaments can sometimes have).

Of course, I freely confess that I am not an actual lawyer just (as in chess organising) am amateur trying to do their best!

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:32 pm

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:03 am
Not long until venues start re-opening now, then we may see some progress.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:55 pm

I received my second Pfizer jab on Friday. No side effects - so far.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:11 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:55 pm
Have you signed up for a cruise?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:36 am

Nick >Have you signed up for a cruise?<
I do not intend to leave the British Isles before December 2021 at the earliest.
I put a £50 deposit on a Southampton round Britain cruise at the end of August 2021, but Princess cancelled it, still holding the same one in October. But it would be too cold by then. A few are taking place in the summer, but are much more expensive. I am still considering my options.
I would like to go to Tenerife December, but that involved flying and that is unhealthy at the best of times.
There is a World cruise scheduled to start January 2022 with a very attractive itinerary. That would avoid flying, but may already have been cancelled and it would be dangerous being exposed to so many countries.
The ECF may be running the British Seniors Championships in October. If they happen, I hope to play in the 65+.
My Sunday triumph was realising the clocks went forward an hour.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:01 am

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:03 am
Don't worry, Paul.
I have been on my travels visiting various websites around the UK and the rest of the world and picked up lots of information for forum members which I would like to share.
Including Spain and Israel. Although regrettably I only did GCSE Spanish. I do recognise the word "ajedrez".
I have a few interesting games to post on General Chat and Chess Questions.
I haven't been to Canada or USA recently.
Wish me luck when I visit Malta. :lol:
I'm afraid I don't have much news to report from our county of Lancashire.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:25 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:55 pm
Had my first one (AZ) on Saturday - felt a bit rough yesterday but back to normal now.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:48 am

Looks like Malta could be one of the first places accessible to Brits.

From Sky News:
Malta has announced that UK travellers who have had both doses of a COVID-19 vaccine are welcome from 1 June.
Passengers will need to show their vaccination card before boarding flights, according to the Malta Tourism Authority (MTA).

There is a chessorg.de tournament usually held in November, but perhaps something will be organised before then.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:22 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:48 am
but perhaps something will be organised before then.
If he's resolved his differences with the local Malta federation, perhaps the Sniper will pop up with something.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:45 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Looks like Malta could be one of the first places accessible to Brits.
There are obviously going to loads of countries that will let us in. The problem is going to be getting out of our own country.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:06 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:22 am
Tim Spanton wrote:
If he's resolved his differences with the local Malta federation, perhaps the Sniper will pop up with something.
We've not heard from the Sniper since the end of January.
I believe he was building extra wings on Troll Prison to welcome new inmates. It was getting a bit crowded.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:14 am

Simon Rogers wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:06 am
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tim Spanton wrote:
I believe he was building extra wings on Troll Prison to welcome new inmates. It was getting a bit crowded.
I suspect that you can forget about Charlie arranging anything in Malta. This was 5 hours ago on FB:

"After careful consideration of all that Malta and Gozo has to offer, in comparison with living in England, I have decided to return to England as I am missing the weather, the excessive taxes on taxes, guidance from Boris, increasing erosion of privacy, social disorder, isolation from EU. I also miss the Nanny state, the erosion of Christian principles throughout society, the traffic queues.
In Gozo I will miss the tranquility, my Queens Gambit Chess Villa with Pool, My www.QueensGambitAcademy.com and www.MaltaChess.com Academies for kids, the lovely weather, the friendly people, incredible beaches, the spiritual sites, the classic cars, the laid back lifestyle, friendly communities and my £100 a year car insurance with breakdown recovery.
Bye Bye Gozo and Malta it has been an incredible 7 Lockdown months. 👋 Back to England."

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:25 am

What date is it today?
Chris Rice wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:14 am
Simon Rogers wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:06 am
Roger de Coverly wrote:

I suspect that you can forget about Charlie arranging anything in Malta. This was 5 hours ago on FB:

"After careful consideration of all that Malta and Gozo has to offer, in comparison with living in England, I have decided to return to England as I am missing the weather, the excessive taxes on taxes, guidance from Boris, increasing erosion of privacy, social disorder, isolation from EU. I also miss the Nanny state, the erosion of Christian principles throughout society, the traffic queues.
In Gozo I will miss the tranquility, my Queens Gambit Chess Villa with Pool, My www.QueensGambitAcademy.com and www.MaltaChess.com Academies for kids, the lovely weather, the friendly people, incredible beaches, the spiritual sites, the classic cars, the laid back lifestyle, friendly communities and my £100 a year car insurance with breakdown recovery.
Bye Bye Gozo and Malta it has been an incredible 7 Lockdown months. 👋 Back to England."
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:32 am

One question that seems unanswered is how well vaccines protect people from developing long covid. On Sky News today it reported there are now over a million people in the UK suffering from long term effects impacting on their daily lives.
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-1-1 ... s-12262530

A reasonably recent article from Feb 2021, suggesting although vaccines obviously protect against hospitalisation and death, protection against long covid symptoms is still unknown;
https://www.theverge.com/22266344/covid ... -long-haul

Some food for thought I suppose if over the board chess returns, and masks and social distancing are not compulsory anymore.