(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Simon Rogers

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:42 pm

Joey Stewart wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:32 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:26 pm
A bit of a quiet one at Poulton-le-Fylde Chess Club last night. 0nly eight of us turned up. A number were still recovering from their exploits at the Blackpool Congress.

What about your exploits? I am actually kind of interested how you did since you mentioned going there before
I've posted daily reports on the Blackpool Congress Topic in the Congress Diary Category. Also Brendan has posted a picture of me there aswell.
My next game is next Monday, when my Poulton 1 team play home against Preston 2 in the Blackpool & Fylde Chess League.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:47 pm

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:06 pm

Doesn't quite match Kevin's example, but from the BBC today on the proportion of people with Covid this week

England: 4.9%, up from 3.8% last week - approximately one in 25 people

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:20 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:51 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:58 pm
Tim Spanton wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:34 am
Southend Easter congress returning: https://southendchesscongress.org/
Hi Tim. Are you playing at the Blackpool Chess Conference this weekend?
I've found some more tournaments for the Congress Diary.
What's the latest on the Czech Tour?
I have never played ar Blackpool. It's on my to-do list, but this weekend I am playing at Bad Woerishofen
Congratulations on your 3rd place Tim. Decent prize money. When and where are your next events?

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:35 pm

Tegernsee seniors - starts Saturday. I was on the waiting list, but got bumped up last week thanks to several withdrawals (plus league matches tonight and Thursday)

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:51 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:06 pm
Doesn't quite match Kevin's example, but from the BBC today on the proportion of people with Covid this week

England: 4.9%, up from 3.8% last week - approximately one in 25 people
Do you have a link?

The most recent ONS infection survey, published some days ago and currently here, estimated that 1 in 20 in England were infected on 12 March (so I wonder where the BBC got their figure from).

ZOE is currently estimating that 3,465,490 have symptomatic COVID in the UK with new daily cases at 324,954.

The Government, the general public, chess players and chess event organisers seem to be oblivious.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:18 am

On the figures> I think that things have just got a bit garbled.

The latest figure is 4.9%, approximately 1 in 20. The previous figure was 3.8%, approximately 1 in 25.
Angus French wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:51 pm
The Government, the general public, chess players and chess event organisers seem to be oblivious.
I can only speak for myself. I am well aware of these statistics and I try to avoid unnecessary risks.

But I welcome the fact that I can now decide for myself whether to play OTB chess or to stay at home, rather than being compelled to do the latter.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:36 am

I don't feel like chess players are totally oblivious, I played in the conventry chess academy masters on Saturday and they were very mindful of Corona and had the playing hall well ventilated.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:32 am

Chess players are frequently oblivious to all sorts of things. I did notice when I was in a supermarket the other day that there were only about three of us in masks. Perhaps people in general think that the current version of covid is non-hazardous.

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:35 pm

I think it is partially that they feel the virus is not a threat anymore now the vaccine gives you a very strong chance of survival (although it is still a horrible illness to get and should be avoided at all costs) and partly that people have very short memories these days, they forgot brexit within a couple of weeks of the Corona lockdown and now the Ukraine war is plastered over the news that has become the major focal point of society.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:43 pm

Yes, I do think that mask wearing should still be encouraged more. But lockdowns aren't returning bar utter catastrophe.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:22 am

The Government would have to be there insane to attempt a lockdown again, with all the economic damage it caused. Also any reintroduction of restrictions are likely to be roundly ignored bearing in mind the Government's own behaviour.

Fortunately those with COVID in ICU remains low on the stats.

Cases should drop sharply in the next few weeks as this wave runs through the population and free testing ends.
HDCA President

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:05 am

NHS under pressure from new Covid wave across England, says Chris Whitty
“If we look at hospitalisations, there are now quite significant numbers of people in hospital,” he told delegates at the conference. “They are now rising again, and I think will continue to rise for at least the next two weeks – so there is pressure on the NHS.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:20 am

It is 316 on ventilation with COVID. We do not know from the wider hospitalisation figures how many are in because of COVID or those who caught it in hospital. Coincidental COVID is not clear still. The press and Government are still all about the Ukraine and cost of living. I would not expect any action anytime soon.
HDCA President

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:49 am

From Adam Raoof:

Southend Easter Congress looks like it will have a record entry, at least a record in the time I have been involved as an Arbiter. The 7-round tournaments are from 15 to 18 April and the FIDE rapid is on Thursday (!) 14th April -

https://southendchesscongress.org/