(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Simon Rogers

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:59 pm

Looks like Welsh and English Schools might close aswell.
Boris Johnson is addressing the nation at 8pm.
I am terribly sorry to announce that I have a further two Deaths to report next.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:24 pm

You know, you don't have to announce your announcements of deaths in other threads.

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:17 pm

Tier 5.
When is it all going to end???

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:51 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:17 pm
Tier 5.
Strictly speaking, it will never end. Covid, like smallpox, will be here for a lifetime. The good news is that as it mutates it becomes more transmissable, but weaker. At some point even the Spanish Flu blew itself out, so Covid will eventually become just another winter illness to watch out for.

Moreover the rate of vaccination will accelerate and even I hope to get my shot by the end of February as a diabetic. Once the most vulnerable have been covered then things will ease, but I suspect we will still be wearing masks next Christmas and any time we travel.

Adam
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:52 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:17 pm
Tier 5.
They're just getting started.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:10 pm

It definitely going to be a very disrupted 12 months I'd think. Even Sir John Bell, who heads up the Oxford vaccine team, was today saying that he has some doubts whether current vaccines will work against the further mutated South African strain, which has already been found in two locations in Britain. But hoped that a 4-6 week tweak of the vaccine might solve the issues if they arise.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:11 pm

It will "end" to a degree when most people in vulnerable groups have been vaccinated.

So maybe we have to hope that the government proves more competent at this than it has at most other things.....
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:21 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:11 pm
It will "end" to a degree when most people in vulnerable groups have been vaccinated.

So maybe we have to hope that the government proves more competent at this than it has at most other things.....
When Boris said by-mid February, he seemed to be cringing. That's probably wildly optimistic! The press has mentioned there may be a bit of blow back when that stage is reached, as too many people start relaxing and mixing too much again. It's going to be a bumpy year for sure.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:42 pm

I hope to get my shot by the end of February as a diabetic and asthmatic. My appointments may get pushed back. Will wfh. Will save 000s in travel. May treat myself to a chess book when I get vaccinated.

Will shop 3 times a week and not 7.

If he said stay at home and play chess that would be good.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:08 am

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:21 pm
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:11 pm

When Boris said by-mid February, he seemed to be cringing. That's probably wildly optimistic! The press has mentioned there may be a bit of blow back when that stage is reached, as too many people start relaxing and mixing too much again. It's going to be a bumpy year for sure.
BBC News:
Restrictions should start being eased in March, Gove says
March should mark the point at which restrictions can start to be eased, Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove has said.
Prime Minister Boris Johnson previously said it was possible lockdown measures could be eased in mid-February if the top four priority groups were vaccinated by that point.
Gove told Sky News earlier: "We will keep these constantly under review but you are absolutely right, we can't predict with certainty that we will be able to lift restrictions in the week commencing 15-22 February.
"What we will be doing is everything that we can to make sure that as many people as possible are vaccinated, so that we can begin to progressively lift restrictions.
"I think it is right to say that as we enter March we should be able to lift some of these restrictions but not necessarily all."

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:26 am

Tim Spanton quoting Government wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:08 am
"I think it is right to say that as we enter March we should be able to lift some of these restrictions but not necessarily all."
IF you had a meeting or mingling of those who had been vaccinated, why would this continue to be banned as presenting a risk?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:27 am

Plausibly because though you cannot be infected yourself you are still capable of infecting others
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:48 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:27 am
Plausibly because though you cannot be infected yourself you are still capable of infecting others
Although who can be infected if everyone is vaccinated? That's saying the vaccination doesn't protect and implies normal conditions can never return.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:49 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:48 am
Although who can be infected if everyone is vaccinated?
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:26 am
IF you had a meeting or mingling of those who had been vaccinated
Which situation are you asking about
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:13 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:49 am
Which situation are you asking about
If you had a meeting or gathering restricted to those who had been vaccinated. A "seniors only" chess event would be a possible example.