(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:55 pm

Phil Neatherway wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:23 pm
You mean, everyone gets it and then they get again a few weeks later.
Really? I read a story about someone who got it again after two months, and this was regarded as a freak occurrence.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:25 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:55 pm
Phil Neatherway wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:23 pm
You mean, everyone gets it and then they get again a few weeks later.
Really? I read a story about someone who got it again after two months, and this was regarded as a freak occurrence.
My impression is that it's not been at all uncommon and perhaps this would in part explain the high prevalence of the BA.2 variant. It might also help explain why the Government dashboard figures for new infections are out of kilter with ONS infection survey figures and ZOE new infection figures - the dashboard count doesn't include infections within 90 days of a previous infection.

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:54 pm

Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:09 am
Good luck. We have just lost our venue for a bit, due to a botched refurb. Did a club night in our temporary but new Holmfirth Centre trendy bar and had five new players turn up. 18 in on the night, which is damn good going - if we keep them.
Thanks Stephen. I will let you know the result when I get back from the club.
I think we have a new player coming to the chess club tomorrow evening. Also on my travels around the County Chess Associations, I have picked up that there are a couple of new chess clubs starting.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:39 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:54 pm
Good luck. We have just lost our venue for a bit, due to a botched refurb. Did a club night in our temporary but new Holmfirth Centre trendy bar and had five new players turn up. 18 in on the night, which is damn good going - if we keep them.
I think we have a new player coming to the chess club tomorrow evening. Also on my travels around the County Chess Associations, I have picked up that there are a couple of new chess clubs starting.
Yes it is coming back. The enthusiasm is great and a lot of interest with juniors. It is very encouraging (from the Yorkshire side) to see the u18s wanting to play and parental support. It feels we have turned a corner.
HDCA President

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:36 pm

Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:39 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:54 pm
Yes it is coming back. The enthusiasm is great and a lot of interest with juniors. It is very encouraging (from the Yorkshire side) to see the u18s wanting to play and parental support. It feels we have turned a corner.
You are absolutely right. You talk a lot of sense on the forum.
I hear that you have become the Yorkshire captain.
We had another new junior at Cleveleys Chess Club last Thursday.
I've also picked up a few more tournaments taking place over the next few months including two brand new events (one not too far from you), which I'll post in the Congress Diary Category.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:13 pm

Thank you Simon. One of our Captains was struggling de to personal circumstances. I offered to take on the u1450s, which has put paid to my games in the u1850s. It is no bother as my son is also playing for the u1450s, meaning I have to go anyway and frankly the kids are more important. If we get a big group of them running it is great for England Chess in general. I am trying to get them all Yorkshire County Chess shirts now - which would be a great advertisement.

It is really pleasing to see how popular chess is becoming.

Our venue has now completed the refurbishment and we are back in tomorrow. It does look very nice, especially considering the Stumble Inn allow Holmfirth Chess to come in for free. I may look at the events but I am slightly stuffed due to.... Mathew playing cricket, rugby union and league, Jacob playing Chess, hockey and Cricket and Olivia playing rugby Union and seeking a league team. Busy life of a dad.
HDCA President

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:16 pm

See if this picture of the room comes through...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HDCA President

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Mon May 02, 2022 8:19 pm

My team (Poulton 1) drew against Preston 2 last Monday. Preston 2 beat Lytham 1 last Thursday. As a result Preston 1 won Division 1 and Poulton 1 finished runners up.
5 players at the club tonight, one of our members fell asleep while waiting for a game.
Last league match of the season is next Monday, Poulton 2 home to Preston 3.
Both teams can still win Division 2 along with Lytham 2.
https://ecflms.org.uk/lms/node/14087/home

Andrew Wainwright

Post by Andrew Wainwright » Tue May 03, 2022 10:38 am

Simon Rogers wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 8:19 pm

5 players at the club tonight, one of our members fell asleep while waiting for a game.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue May 03, 2022 2:47 pm

While I was playing my game, I could hear snoring and turned round to see him fast asleep in the corner.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Wed May 04, 2022 10:19 pm

18 at the adult night and 8 with the juniors tonight in Holmfirth. Fantastic to see. No one fell asleep and it was just a casual play night.
HDCA President

Reg Clucas

Post by Reg Clucas » Tue May 10, 2022 9:10 pm

Eleven clubs have expressed an interest in playing in the South East Lancs Summer League this year, so the league will run for the first time since 2019.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Tue May 24, 2022 1:43 pm

I played at Teplice, Czechia, four years ago, and was thinking of playing again this year (June 18-26).
Alas, I have left it too late:

Teplice Chess Club can not accept new players due to the full capacity of the playing hall.
Thank you for understanding.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue May 24, 2022 2:47 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 1:43 pm
Alas, I have left it too late:
That doesn't seem to be unusual now.

Bad Wörishofen was full weeks before it started, so anyone who delayed entering until Germany allowed British citizens to enter the country again was too late.

Several European tournaments I might have played in around Easter were full well in advance.

My next tournament, the Limburg Open, taking place from 3 - 6 June, was full by 24 April, despite having a 450 players limit.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Wed May 25, 2022 10:18 am

It seems the more well-established congresses are the most affected.
By contrast my next tournament, in Mallorca Jun 4-12 (https://www.mallorcaisolani.com/opensacolonia.htm), has 27 entries in the U2400, 31 in the U1800 and 10 in an IM norm tournament.