(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Simon Rogers

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Simon Rogers » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:13 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:42 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:30 pm
News from around the grounds:
2 new Topics on the Shropshire Chess Association website regards COVID and the suspension of OTB chess in the county. One of the Topics is the minutes from the Zoom EGM when the decision was made to suspend OTB activities.
https://www.shropshirechess.org
Topic posted on the Surrey County Chess Association website on the 22nd December in the News category.
"Latest advice on new COVID rules to SCCA clubs from the SCCA Board."
https://www.scca.co.uk
On a brighter note as a Xmas present to you all, on my travels around the country I have picked up a number of tournaments provisionally taking place next year. I'll gradually post these as new Topics in the Congress Diary Category.
Have a merry Christmas.
Don't bother including Hastings ...
Don't worry Tim. No Hastings included.
Here comes the first present 🎁 for the Congress Diary.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:20 pm

The January events have thinned a little more with Adam Raoof isolating with symptomatic Omicron. He has now cancelled all his events next month according to his Chess Circuit update.

Paul Bloom

Post by Paul Bloom » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:41 pm

I trust everyone will join me in wishing Adam a speedy recovery . I remember it was exactly a year ago that I had Covid and it was terrible .

get well soon Adam and yes it looks like Feb before we can look forward to much OTB chess

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:04 am

It's only a suggestion so far - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59876063 - but the possibility has been raised of all UK testing rules for travel being removed, which would make playing abroad a lot simpler, even if it does nothing for tournaments in this country

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:05 am

Tim Spanton wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:04 am
It's only a suggestion so far - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59876063 - but the possibility has been raised of all UK testing rules for travel being removed, which would make playing abroad a lot simpler, even if it does nothing for tournaments in this country
Seems it may be closer than I realised, at least according to this BBC update:

Ministers are finalising plans to remove the advice that people who test positive on a lateral flow device in England should seek a confirmatory PCR test.
They are also working to remove the requirement for travellers to have a negative test two days before arriving in the UK - the so-called pre-departure test.
The decisions are imminent but haven't been completely signed off yet.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:30 pm

Great to see three new adults at Holmfirth tonight and a new junior. 11 adults in total for the night session and it really feels that things are taking off again.
HDCA President

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:39 pm

Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:30 pm
Great to see three new adults at Holmfirth tonight and a new junior. 11 adults in total for the night session and it really feels that things are taking off again.
Good to see your club booming Stephen.
Poulton-le-Fylde Chess Club reopened after Christmas earlier in the week. Cleveleys Chess Club for Juniors reopens tomorrow.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:13 am

It is remarkable the number of people coming forwards in their 50s and 60s, who played chess at school and returned during lockdown. Those who tried online then wanted OTB. There is a definite surge in kids wanting to play and we have three ready for adult club play (but school / bed times presently get in the way). Oddly enough COVID has helped us grow but keeping the drive going will be another matter.
HDCA President

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:34 am

Southend Easter congress returning: https://southendchesscongress.org/

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:58 pm

Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:13 am
It is remarkable the number of people coming forwards in their 50s and 60s, who played chess at school and returned during lockdown. Those who tried online then wanted OTB. There is a definite surge in kids wanting to play and we have three ready for adult club play (but school / bed times presently get in the way). Oddly enough COVID has helped us grow but keeping the drive going will be another matter.
A decent night at Poulton-le-Fylde Chess Club last night. Another two new players turned up. I believe both in their 50s and one starting next Monday.
A couple starting at Cleveleys Juniors on Thursday.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:32 pm

Interesting study showing mild Covid degrades memory for 6-9 months, so perhaps you might end with a disappointing year of chess post-infection; https://uk.yahoo.com/news/mild-covid-in ... 23134.html

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:15 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:32 pm
Interesting study showing mild Covid degrades memory for 6-9 months, so perhaps you might end with a disappointing year of chess post-infection; https://uk.yahoo.com/news/mild-covid-in ... 23134.html
I must admit my memory did decline post COVID and OTB play was a battle. 2 month on and I am feeling more back to normal.
HDCA President

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:18 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:58 pm
A decent night at Poulton-le-Fylde Chess Club last night. Another two new players turned up. I believe both in their 50s and one starting next Monday.
It is brilliant. We had four new players in two weeks at Holmfirth, with 16 adults in last Wednesday and an impromptu night on Monday with eight. Tomorrow the Examiner Handicap league starts, with my 12 year old son on debut. Very proud and nervous Dad moment.
HDCA President

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:26 pm

Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:18 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:58 pm
It is brilliant. We had four new players in two weeks at Holmfirth, with 16 adults in last Wednesday and an impromptu night on Monday with eight. Tomorrow the Examiner Handicap league starts, with my 12 year old son on debut. Very proud and nervous Dad moment.
Good luck.
I'm sure your son will do well.
I'll be cheering you both on.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:58 am

Thank you. He lost but came out of it enthusiastic for more.
HDCA President