(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul Cooksey

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:59 pm

I am slightly worried Matt is suggesting a tournament where lots are draw to determine which players get married every round!

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:01 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:55 pm
This is organised indoor sport, and social distancing measures are being employed.
If it ever came to a legal challenge, chess is not a sport in the UK.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:09 pm

I’m sure it will be totally fine, and effectively most enforcement authorities have such Covid fatigue at this point I’m sure a small, well organised event wouldn’t garner any attention. But in terms of risk, anyone returning to a gym recently with sectioned off equipment will know it doesn’t really do very much. People just mingle and get in everyone’s space, pretty much like usual. I can’t see 6 sections of 10 in one room really being very different, but as you say people do have that vaccine protection now, which is good!

Adam Raoof

Post by Adam Raoof » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:14 pm

Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:09 pm
I’m sure it will be totally fine, and effectively most enforcement authorities have such Covid fatigue at this point I’m sure a small, well organised event wouldn’t garner any attention. But in terms of risk, anyone returning to a gym recently with sectioned off equipment will know it doesn’t really do very much. People just mingle and get in everyone’s space, pretty much like usual. I can’t see 6 sections of 10 in one room really being very different, but as you say people do have that vaccine protection now, which is good!
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/covid-19-co ... -cannot-do
Adam Raoof IA, IO
Chess England Events - https://chessengland.com/
The Chess Circuit - https://chesscircuit.substack.com/
Don’t stop playing chess!

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:55 pm

Adam Raoof wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:14 pm
Matt Bridgeman wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:09 pm
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/covid-19-co ... -cannot-do
Well if we’re aiming for non-sport Chess being actually a grassroots sport in disguise, the current rules for indoor sport repeatedly mention the need for 100 square feet per person in the venue.

To quote the section;

'Organised indoor sport must adhere to the relevant capacity restrictions for indoor sport facilities including allowing a minimum of 100sqft per person for all people in the venue.'

So for a 60 person all-play-all with supervision, that’s 6000 square feet plus! I doubt that rule will change before the 19 July.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... -providers

Adam, how would you have a 6 player all-play-all ECF/FIDE rated tournament at your house 25-27 June? That's maybe more than the Rule of 6 for indoors when you include yourself in the equation? In the garden? How does the idea fit with wanting chess to be an organised indoor sport in terms of distancing? In fact do any chess clubs currently reopening allow 100 square feet per person in the room?
Last edited by Matt Bridgeman on Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:40 pm

You may find that you get fewer entries than you had anticipated, due to people possibly being over-cautious.
I am rather concerned about the fact that three title norm tournaments are planned for England before the end of September. It may be that foreign players will be hard to come by.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:05 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:40 pm
I am rather concerned about the fact that three title norm tournaments are planned for England before the end of September. It may be that foreign players will be hard to come by.
An understandable concern but with the exception of two or three from Ireland and one from Scotland they all live in England.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:34 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:05 pm
An understandable concern but with the exception of two or three from Ireland and one from Scotland they all live in England.
It is common practice around the world for titled players who have moved to a new country, and even obtained citizenship there, to retain their old federation status for this purpose. It does make you wonder what the "foreigner" requirement is really about.

Why would it be assumed that Irish, or even Scottish, players will be allowed to cross the border?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Bridgeman

Post by Matt Bridgeman » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:29 pm

The Daly Telegraph is reporting there's going to be a delay in lifting restrictions until the 19th July. I'd guess this will translate to Boris saying tomorrow they'll review things in two weeks, but it looks likely the 19th July will be the new 'unlocking' date, with time to vaccinate more people with two doses, etc.
Last edited by Matt Bridgeman on Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:37 pm

It is looking as though we can forget 2021/22, not a great surprise.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:45 pm

That could easily be the case if we don't unlock on the "new" date - looking rather like July 19th or bust at the moment.

But if it doesn't happen then, it might not go down terribly well given that vaccines were explicitly sold as a "passport to freedom".
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:45 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:45 pm
But if it doesn't happen then, it might not go down terribly well given that vaccines were explicitly sold as a "passport to freedom"
Anyone who still believes that will believe anything. Almost everybody has got jabbed now, so they don't need the carrot any more and can revert entirely to their favoured stick.

David Williams

Post by David Williams » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:27 pm

I don't believe that "almost everybody has got jabbed now" and I believe that we have massively more freedom than we would have had without vaccines. That doesn't mean I will believe anything.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:49 pm

David Williams wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:27 pm
That doesn't mean I will believe anything.
I look forward to your refusing to believe some transparent lie. It will be too late, but that won't be your fault.

David Williams

Post by David Williams » Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:54 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:49 pm
I look forward to your refusing to believe some transparent lie.
I refuse to believe that almost everybody has been jabbed. Will that do for starters?