(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
NickFaulks

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:32 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:15 am
I do think their advice could be more nuanced.
My own response to SAGE's Christmas advice would be less nuanced. It would reference stuffing.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:55 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
John Swain wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:13 pm
SAGE has advice in favour of a family quiz at Christmas and avoiding board games, citing the risk from sharing pieces:
I do think their advice could be more nuanced. If you are unlucky enough to invite a Christmas guest with Covid, isn't being in the same house the major risk, with what you do a secondary effect of possibly reducing transmission risk? From that view, card games are a higher risk than chess, because you only really touch your own pieces whereas all cards are handled.
Roger, I usually touch my opponent's pieces when I take them! :)

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:27 am

John Moore wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:55 am
Roger de Coverly wrote:
John Swain wrote:
SAGE has advice in favour of a family quiz at Christmas and avoiding board games, citing the risk from sharing pieces:
I do think their advice could be more nuanced. If you are unlucky enough to invite a Christmas guest with Covid, isn't being in the same house the major risk, with what you do a secondary effect of possibly reducing transmission risk? From that view, card games are a higher risk than chess, because you only really touch your own pieces whereas all cards are handled.
Roger, I usually touch my opponent's pieces when I take them! :)
On the other hand it would be less inconvenient wearing gloves while playing chess than while playing cards

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:48 pm

Unless you play with the giant playing cards they sell in shops these days.
I remember buying a pack of playing cards with 52 Chess Openings, I can't remember if they were from Chess Direct or Chess and Bridge.
On a different note I have posted all the Deaths and Obituaries that I know of from the beginning of October 2019 until yesterday. I didn't expect there to be so many.
Thanks for your support and thanks to the forum members that added on links for me.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:09 pm

I've just had a look at the obits section Simon and I'm shocked at the number of people who have died this year. Have to say a magnificent job done by you to list as many as you have. Thank you.

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:58 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:09 pm
I've just had a look at the obits section Simon and I'm shocked at the number of people who have died this year. Have to say a magnificent job done by you to list as many as you have. Thank you.
I was also surprised by the numbers but wondered whether, rather than being indicative of excess deaths this year, it demonstrated increased diligence in reporting them. Either way, it's good of Simon to keep us informed - depressing information though it is - and I'd like to express my thanks. I'll do my utmost to avoid personally adding to his work.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:03 pm

Given that older people are more at risk of the virus, and active chess players tend towards being in that group, a degree of excess mortality in 2020 would sadly not overly surprise.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Wadih Khoury

Post by Wadih Khoury » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:36 pm

Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:03 pm
Given that older people are more at risk of the virus, and active chess players tend towards being in that group, a degree of excess mortality in 2020 would sadly not overly surprise.
I don't think there were any covid related deaths, or at least very few.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:30 pm

Wadih Khoury wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:36 pm
Matt Mackenzie wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:03 pm
I don't think there were any covid related deaths, or at least very few.
I counted four cases in which Covid-19 was given as the cause of death and a fifth which gave Alzheimer's and Covid-19. In many instances the cause hasn't been given.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:21 pm

Even if direct virus related deaths are relatively few, it can certainly have had a negative impact in other ways.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:47 pm

There are two instances of "a victim of the Coronavirus outbreak".

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:05 pm

Thanks for the kind messages.
I originally thought it was all down to excess deaths.
But as I delved deeper through the history of reporting, a lot of it comes down to communication up the chain.
A number of deaths are not reported from clubs to leagues, then fewer deaths are reported from Leagues to County Associations and then even fewer reported to the forum and ECF.
For example the Birmingham and District Chess League website has a list of Obituaries going back to 2015 on the Headlines page but quite a number from before 2019 have not been reported to the forum.
There are more deaths on various clubs websites in the West Midlands not reported to the Birmingham and District League.
The two deaths I reported from the Sheffield and District League last week from earlier this year were not reported on the Yorkshire Chess Association website.
It sounds terrible but I'm afraid I've already counted well over 250 deaths not reported to the forum over the last 10 years.
When clubs start to reopen and members catch up with each other I'm afraid there might be a large amount of Deaths suddenly reported.
There is a number of Leagues websites and a couple of County Associations websites not updated since the first lockdown in March.
Last edited by Simon Rogers on Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:32 pm

Good point Simon; we've only had an Obituaries section on the MCF website for a few months now, to make sure there is a permanent record
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:02 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:32 pm
Good point Simon; we've only had an Obituaries section on the MCF website for a few months now, to make sure there is a permanent record
Thanks Mick. I've just had a look at the Obituaries section on the MCF. Good to see the reporting and the unsung heroes being remembered. I had a look at the links. They were a bit difficult to read because the links appeared in blue on a blue background.
I'm afraid I've noticed a Death from a few months ago not reported on the MCF website. Can I PM you with it? It might be better you reporting the death to the forum.
I'm afraid I have a death to report from the Isle of Wight.

Neil Graham

Post by Neil Graham » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:35 pm

Neil Graham wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:14 pm
John Swain wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55107473
In that case I'll provide a family quiz starting in December. :)
which is now available in the "Not Chess" section.