End of an era

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Matt Mackenzie

Re: End of an era

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:10 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:54 am
We've Got To Do Something

("Show trial" isn't Stalin-era language - what about the important contributions to that field from the Mao era, the Castro era, the Kim era and the Sankara era?)
One of these is not like the others.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:42 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:00 pm
And this is exactly the problem, that for decades, when people have said look, Ray has a long record as a liar and a cheat, other people react like this is unfair to Ray.
Where are these other people now? I can think of one person I know who would probably claim that RDK has done more for good than for ill, and his relationship with Ray goes back more than 50 years, to a time when this may well have been true.

Yes, there are always going to be two opinions about anything, but in this case one seems to outnumber the other by about 50:1. This thread is into 27 pages and is pretty much an echo chamber. Justin, Kingpin et al have done their work well and are to be congratulated.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:33 pm

Its true few overtly defend the Penguin these days, but versions of "does it really matter that much though?" are still a bit more common.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:46 pm

Is calling RDK a liar and a cheat unfair? Not a bit. If he were imprisoned for lying and cheating, would you consider that a satisfactory resolution to the saga, or would you be tormented by the prospect of the Times-reading and chess-playing inmates hailing him as a genius?
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.