End of an era

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Roger Lancaster

Re: End of an era

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:45 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:08 am
Anyway I note that Ray's so-called charity has got to the end of February without filing its accounts, something that would probably concern its independent examiner if they were independent and did any examining.
Hard to avoid noticing that Ray is the trustee of another, newly registered, charity [Outside in Pathways Ltd] so this era may not end soon.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:53 am

Oh that's a good spot, I hadn't realised they'd registered. Ray-watchers will recognise Julian Simpole of course, and perhaps the CEO too.

(They received £2500 from the Brain Trust in 2015-6, though this curiously failed to be listed as a "related-party transaction" in the accounts for that year.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger Lancaster

Post by Roger Lancaster » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:11 pm

"Having hit the giddy heights of number four as the singer/announcer of The Flying Lizards's "Money", Evans-Stickland left the bands ever-changing line-up, retrained as a psychotherapist and took time out to have a child. She also formed the band Deborah And The Puerto Ricans. Currently working helping people with learning difficulties, she still sings - recently appearing on an album by Richard X" - internet source, my underlining

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:19 pm

Also see. (I think this may be when I started taking an interest in the Brain Trust.)
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:44 pm

Hey, the Brain Trust accounts are finally out! Let's see if they say anything interesting. Some comments:

1. I note that there's now an actual independent examiner, replacing Ray's mate David Massey who was previously doing the job...

2. ...and that the mysterious Institute for Brain Chemistry has had twelve grand sent its way.

3. Obviously what stands out the most is the whacking six-figure sum donated to Ray's (and, at the time, Tony's) World Memory Championships, the charitable purpose of which eludes me.

4. As ever I am intrigued to know what constitutes "office costs" in an organisation which does not appear to have any office or other premises.

5. Keenologists will be pleased to see that Ray's habit of making careless errors has not deserted him: having listed Eric Schiller as deceased (albeit with the wrong date of birth) in the previous year's accounts

he appears to be alive and well in these ones.

Last edited by JustinHorton on Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:59 pm

"4. As ever I am intrigued to know what constitutes "office costs" in an organisation which does not appear to have any office or other premises."

It may cover office-type things - you still have to contact people, maybe get printing/copying done etc, even if there is no physical office? Maybe office-type work is sub-contracted elsewhere? £30K is a lot of course...

I'm indebted to my good friend, Mr Google, who offers, "Office expenses can include electronic equipment, such as a computer, printer or fax machine. Office supplies also can include printer ink, paper clips, paper and staples. Furniture, such as a desk or chair, are considered office supplies if the item is used solely for the business."

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:28 pm

I was prompted by David's note just to look in and see who Ray was promoting during lockdown. I confess that though I vaguely remember Professor Sikora

I'd never seen him connected with Ray before.

(What I like about this is the way that it combines a couple of Ray themes, one being dubious characters with links to Imperial College that don't exist, and the innovative employment of dogs.)
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:27 am

The June BCM carries a piece by Ray - within the usual definition of "by Ray" - which gives notes to two games via the old "based on" manoeuvre, which usually means "I am copying old somebody else's notes wholesale". This is certainly the case for the first of the games - I don't have Clarke's book on Tal so can't check the second (by all means have a go if you do) but if I ever want it, Ray lets us know it's available through Hardinge Simpole.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:14 am

Ray was on the telly last night...and it was repeat!...BOO! ( :wink: )

I follow R.D.K. on The Article - https://www.thearticle.com/in-which-i-a ... ics-genius

II enjoy reading things Chess and Ray can, when he wants too, write in a manner that I've always found entertaining.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:47 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:28 pm
one being dubious characters with links to Imperial College that don't exist
I don't find them as worrying as dubious characters with links to Imperial College that most certainly do exist.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:53 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:14 am
Ray was on the telly last night...and it was repeat!...BOO! ( :wink: )

I follow R.D.K. on The Article - https://www.thearticle.com/in-which-i-a ... ics-genius

II enjoy reading things Chess and Ray can, when he wants too, write in a manner that I've always found entertaining.
He has written some excellent books. Many people cite Aron Nimzowitsch: A Reappraisal, but my favourite used to very much be The Openings In Modern Theory And Practice.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:13 pm

Thing is though, most of his excellent or even good books were written by the early 1980s.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:21 pm

Yeah, but a lot of people in English chess still think it is the 1980s
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:37 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:27 am
The June BCM carries a piece by Ray - within the usual definition of "by Ray" - which gives notes to two games via the old "based on" manoeuvre, which usually means "I am copying old somebody else's notes wholesale". This is certainly the case for the first of the games - I don't have Clarke's book on Tal so can't check the second (by all means have a go if you do) but if I ever want it, Ray lets us know it's available through Hardinge Simpole.
The annotations after 11 moves and after White's 16th are indeed lifted verbatim. Subsequently Clarke is admiringly acknowledged and quoted after 24 moves and 38 moves. After White's 32nd move 'White misses it!' (Clarke) becomes 'Surprisingly Tal overlooks the sacrificial termination...'

I have a signed (by Clarke not Tal) copy of 'Mikhail Tal's Best Games of Chess' because my late father, Peter W Habershon, won it for beating Peter Clarke in a simul at Frome Chess Club in the spring of 1967. Clarke, then resident in Peterborough, had advertised a simul tour of West Country chess clubs following his participation in the West of England Championships.

Extracts from the handwritten flyer about Clarke include: 'The most difficult player in Britain to defeat; he has lost only 3 games since 1964' - 'Fees - Display over 20 boards 10 guineas (expenses included) with a discount of 10/6 for every drawn game. Each winner will receive a free copy of any one of the author"s books listed below...'

Incidentally it was a nice surprise to receive the June BCM in the first half of the month. They have been behind schedule for years. I have been expecting a BH Wood-type 'double bumper issue' to cover two months as a way of catching up. The Malcolm Pein 'Chess' has been remarkably prompt, sometimes even being mailed out in advance of the publication month. Contrary to a remark elsewhere on the forum 'chess magazines aren't what they were', I think 'Chess' maintains a high standard of production, content and variety.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:56 pm

Paul Habershon wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:37 pm
Extracts from the handwritten flyer about Clarke include: 'The most difficult player in Britain to defeat; he has lost only 3 games since 1964' - 'Fees - Display over 20 boards 10 guineas
What
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com