Page 1 of 1
Chess on the canals
Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:21 am
by Adam Raoof
I recently spent some time on a narrowboat, and whilst trying not to fall in the canal I wondered if there were other chess players out there interested in 'cruising the cut'?
I have seen all sorts of businesses out there on boats, including bookshops and restaurants - and it struck me (of course) that a floating widebeam restaurant would be a great place to hold a chess tournament...
Now all I need to do is find one that might be available!
Adam
Re: Chess on the canals
Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:31 am
by Nick Burrows
From Richmond to Hampton Court!
Re: Chess on the canals
Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:34 am
by Tim Spanton
Re: Chess on the canals
Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:40 am
by Kevin Thurlow
Interestingly, when there was a Channel Islands team in 4NCL (or maybe then 6NCL...), our dynamic captain suggested we hire a narrow boat as the accommodation for the weekend. He was always full of ideas, but this one didn't seem to enthuse too many people.
Re: Chess on the canals
Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:14 pm
by Tim Spanton
The USCF, or a closely-affiliated body, runs, or used to run (I am out of touch), an annual chess cruise (this looks like a modern version:
http://www.insightcruises.com/events/cm05/). And then there is a rapid tournament held aboard a train in central Europe:
https://praguechess.cz/pripravovane-akce.php?langue=en
Re: Chess on the canals
Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:50 pm
by Paul McKeown
Done before many times in Amsterdam. Would be delighted to repeat the exercise on the Thames or other English/British canal.
Re: Chess on the canals
Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:43 am
by Stewart Reuben
Korchnoi gave a simul against English youngesters on a cross-channel ferry,
Generally chess on cruise ships on not as successful as bridge ones. Chessplayers have less available funds.
I did have the idea of running the British Chess Championships on a cruise ship going around Great Briatin. But the logistics defeated me. The nearest I came was 1985, the British Rail Chess Championship London to Edinburgh.
It was intended to have a tournament in which Karpov was going to play on the Trns-Siberian Railway. But it fell through.
Re: Chess on the canals
Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:57 am
by Mark Ashley
I think this all sounds quite exciting. I would definitely love to take part if events on Trains/canal boats/cruise ships. I havent a clue how feasible it is though.
Re: Chess on the canals
Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:29 pm
by Adam Raoof
OK! I am officially looking for unusual venues and especially on the water, so if anyone has any tips, do email me at
[email protected]
Adam
Re: Chess on the canals
Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:50 pm
by Stewart Reuben
I also had the idea of playing a bullet chess tournament in the Channel Tunnel. They were besieged by suggestions at that time and nothing came of it.
Why not have a second go? A whole tournament n 20 minutes!
A Tournament, or a one-on-one match on the underground??
Chess in a swimming pool? After each player moves, he swims a width and makes his next move. There is a chess clock.
Or the set is placed on the bottom of the pool and th players dive to make their moves.
Re: Chess on the canals
Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:58 pm
by LawrenceCooper
Stewart Reuben wrote: ↑Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:50 pm
Chess in a swimming pool? After each player moves, he swims a width and makes his next move. There is a chess clock.
Or the set is placed on the bottom of the pool and th players dive to make their moves.
https://divingchess.com/hello-world/
https://msoworld.com/product/diving-che ... ionship-2/
Re: Chess on the canals
Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:07 pm
by JustinHorton
Re: Chess on the canals
Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:40 am
by Carl Portman
Adam,
One of my team mates at Banbury chess club lives on a narrowboat called Grendel. I wrote about him for Chess Monthly magazine. He is well known on the chess circuit - his name is Arthur Hibbitt. He has his own little chess laboratory deep within Grendel's bowels and I am due to have a short cruise with him playing chess in the great outdoors, which promises to be great fun.
Carl
Re: Chess on the canals
Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:54 am
by Adam Raoof
Carl Portman wrote: ↑Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:40 am
Adam,
One of my team mates at Banbury chess club lives on a narrowboat called Grendel. I wrote about him for Chess Monthly magazine. He is well known on the chess circuit - his name is Arthur Hibbitt. He has his own little chess laboratory deep within Grendel's bowels and I am due to have a short cruise with him playing chess in the great outdoors, which promises to be great fun.
Carl
excellent! what issue was that? I will have to see if I can find a copy to read
Adam
Re: Chess on the canals
Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:21 am
by Carl Portman
Adam,
It was Volume 81, No.7 October 2016. If you cannot find a copy, PM me with an email address and I am sure I can find a PDF.
Carl