Should of added yeah the ecf Grades were 201 v 130. Also he is a Candidate Master which I think means he was once a top player. Think his highest fide was well over 2200. Shame he withdrew because of this. Almost feels he was so embarrassed he had to leave the event.
My reward though for this win was a 3rd round pairing white v FM Peter Constantinou in which I took a beating. 20 moves and it was over in the Smith Morra Gambit. Amazed he chose to play c5 in our game knowing I would play the SM and he took me down some line he analised before the game which I had never seen. A truly lovely guy and best player I have played 1 v 1 in serious game.
And I felt my game v Friedland went wrong for him when he allowed me to take the a pawn. He could of blocked with the rook. I think he saw some tactic but it did not work. Think he thought he was getting a serious attack on my king or there was a discovery on my rook with a Bxh7 check. But the simple Nc3 would of saved me.
The way to beat lower players is without doubt make the game complex and make them make decisions. Give them lost of options where they can go wrong. In this game it felt very simple for me. All my moves made sense. I did like my Nh5 idea at the end though making him play Kh2.

Then swap Queens off and I knew it was winning ending.
2013/2014 and 16/17 18/19 U140 Grand Prix Winner!
2015. 2016. 2019. Chess character of the year
Its not a failure to lose. Its a failure when you dont try and win.