New Year's Resolutions
-
Andrew Farthing
- Posts: 614
- Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:39 pm
New Year's Resolutions
I've just posted an item on New Year's resolutions on my blog http://englishchess.org.uk/farthing/ (plug, plug).
I included a doomed-to-failure resolution, "Do all of those things which I know would improve my chess but which I avoid doing anyway," and went on to suggest that everyone has a list like this:
- Study endgames
- Solve tactical exercises everyday
- Study my games (leaving it to Fritz doesn’t count)
- Don’t chop and change openings when results turn sour
- Work through annotated games by trying to guess the winning side’s moves
Since failing at resolutions feeds the masochist in us all, does anyone have any suggestions for additions to the list? There must be lots more things we should be doing but never do!
I included a doomed-to-failure resolution, "Do all of those things which I know would improve my chess but which I avoid doing anyway," and went on to suggest that everyone has a list like this:
- Study endgames
- Solve tactical exercises everyday
- Study my games (leaving it to Fritz doesn’t count)
- Don’t chop and change openings when results turn sour
- Work through annotated games by trying to guess the winning side’s moves
Since failing at resolutions feeds the masochist in us all, does anyone have any suggestions for additions to the list? There must be lots more things we should be doing but never do!
-
John Moore
- Posts: 2394
- Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 6:33 pm
Re: New Year's Resolutions
Andrew
Good list, I would add one more - play as much as you can.
One I should add to my list of resolutions is to concentrate on what is important in improving my game and not spend loads of time looking through obscure chess journals, fun though that might be.
Good list, I would add one more - play as much as you can.
One I should add to my list of resolutions is to concentrate on what is important in improving my game and not spend loads of time looking through obscure chess journals, fun though that might be.
-
Jonathan Bryant
- Posts: 3452
- Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 3:54 pm
Re: New Year's Resolutions
I was thinking I might try to play 100 rapidplay games this year. We've got a club tournament coming up and there's Golders Green on Saturday so I'll be up to a dozen by next Tuesday.
Thereafter, we'll see if I can keep the enthusiasm up.
I remember reading somewhere - possibly here? - of somebody who decided he was going to sacrifice 100 pawns that year. Don't know if he managed it but it's still a tippity-top resolution. Not necessarily good for your chess though!
Thereafter, we'll see if I can keep the enthusiasm up.
I remember reading somewhere - possibly here? - of somebody who decided he was going to sacrifice 100 pawns that year. Don't know if he managed it but it's still a tippity-top resolution. Not necessarily good for your chess though!
The Abysmal Depths of Chess: https://theabysmaldepthsofchess.blogspot.com
- JustinHorton
- Posts: 10565
- Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
- Location: Somewhere you're not
Re: New Year's Resolutions
Read fewer chess books.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."
-
Ola Winfridsson
- Posts: 324
- Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:26 pm
Re: New Year's Resolutions
Very good list, Andrew! I'm sort of in the same territory myself (with the exception of chopping and changing openings ... I'm sort of Lev Alburt-faithful to mine!). My addition would be:
- Always make sure you've had a good night's sleep before the game. (= Sometimes it actually better to play a little less in order to make sure you're rested.)
- Always make sure you've had a good night's sleep before the game. (= Sometimes it actually better to play a little less in order to make sure you're rested.)
- Sebastian Stone
- Posts: 153
- Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:21 pm
Re: New Year's Resolutions
My Resolutions.
To give my all every time I play a rated OTB game (I would say every chess move I make but that ain't gonna happen).
To Buy A Chess Set.
To never say, "That's it! I'm giving up chess"
To continue to refuse to study openings.
To study endgames.
To attempt 5 tactical puzzles a day.
To play online live chess and pay attention and use a reasonable amount of my time (whatever time control I use).
Or, not.
To give my all every time I play a rated OTB game (I would say every chess move I make but that ain't gonna happen).
To Buy A Chess Set.
To never say, "That's it! I'm giving up chess"
To continue to refuse to study openings.
To study endgames.
To attempt 5 tactical puzzles a day.
To play online live chess and pay attention and use a reasonable amount of my time (whatever time control I use).
Or, not.
AKA Scott Stone
"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."
That's Mr Stone to you, f**kface.
"Give a man fire and he's warm for a day, set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."
That's Mr Stone to you, f**kface.
- David Shepherd
- Posts: 938
- Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:46 pm
Re: New Year's Resolutions
I think maybe it was Nigel Short this year but must have been pieces rather than pawnsJonathan Bryant wrote: I remember reading somewhere - possibly here? - of somebody who decided he was going to sacrifice 100 pawns that year. Don't know if he managed it but it's still a tippity-top resolution. Not necessarily good for your chess though!
-
James Toon
- Posts: 265
- Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:54 pm
- Location: Surrey
Re: New Year's Resolutions
1. Join the Internet Chess Club. Playing thousands of blitz games is a good way to consolidate your knowledge of the openings you play.
2. Don't do any preparation on the day of a match. Every time I do this I lose.
3. Avoid playing in leagues that don't allow you to finish your game on the night (I could name a few…). That way you get to practise your endgame play over the board, rather than leaving it to Fritz.
2. Don't do any preparation on the day of a match. Every time I do this I lose.
3. Avoid playing in leagues that don't allow you to finish your game on the night (I could name a few…). That way you get to practise your endgame play over the board, rather than leaving it to Fritz.
-
BrianRobinson
- Posts: 27
- Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:23 pm
Re: New Year's Resolutions
1. Play more chess. Up to now I have probably played around 20 - 25 rated standard time limit games, I would like to increase that to 50+ by adding in a few congresses.
2. To study in a focussed manner and not change the subject after every game that I lose!
2. To study in a focussed manner and not change the subject after every game that I lose!
-
Richard Thursby
- Posts: 296
- Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:25 am
- Location: origin + pathname + search + hash
Re: New Year's Resolutions
Alternatively, you could avoid playing in leagues that don't allow you to adjourn. That way you get to play an endgame well, rather than having to rush it and likely have it decided by a textbook blunder.James Toon wrote: Avoid playing in leagues that don't allow you to finish your game on the night (I could name a few…). That way you get to practise your endgame play over the board, rather than leaving it to Fritz.
-
Justin Hadi
Re: New Year's Resolutions
1) To start a new chess blog
2) To get to 2100
3) To retire
2) To get to 2100
3) To retire
-
Jonathan Rogers
- Posts: 5152
- Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm
Re: New Year's Resolutions
To stop thinking about how much better my results used to be when I had more time to play, study and think about the game. Unsurprisingly, this does not help.
- Gavin Strachan
- Posts: 676
- Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:06 am
- Contact:
Re: New Year's Resolutions
Stop going to bed at 2am and then expect to do alright at chess the next day!
After a horrendous blunder last night this seems reasonable.
After a horrendous blunder last night this seems reasonable.
http://www.brentwoodchessclub.org/
Brentwood Chess Club
Brentwood Chess Club
-
Kevin Thurlow
- Posts: 6661
- Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm
Re: New Year's Resolutions
"2) To get to 2100
3) To retire"
The way the retirement age is increasing, it probably will be 2100 before you retire...
3) To retire"
The way the retirement age is increasing, it probably will be 2100 before you retire...
"Kevin was the arbiter and was very patient. " Nick Grey
-
Paul Robson
- Posts: 47
- Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:23 pm
Re: New Year's Resolutions
Kevin -I thought you retired years ago ;-0