CHESS CLOCK STORAGE
-
Mike Truran
- Posts: 2427
- Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm
- Contact:
CHESS CLOCK STORAGE
Witney Chess Club have just bought 18 Saitek Mephisto digital chess clocks (with the assistance of some public funds - thank you Oxfordshire District Council). Does anyone have any recommendations on strong and durable storage cases to keep them protected when they're not being used? - ideally lockable as well so that they can be kept out of harm's way from five minute chess when matches aren't taking place! (that's how the old analogue clocks will probably end their lives).
Our total budget is around £100 (but obviously if we can spend less we will).
Our total budget is around £100 (but obviously if we can spend less we will).
-
Geoff Chandler
- Posts: 3821
- Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 pm
- Location: Under Cover
- Contact:
Re: CHESS CLOCK STORAGE
Simple.
Day after match take all clocks to Pawn Shop for £1.00 loan.
Day of match redeem said clocks for £1.25.
12 league matches = £3.00 per season.
(the only thing I have of any value is my guitar bought for £250 in 1971
and an £80 solid case.
When ever I go away for a week for or two I stick it in the Pawn Shop for
£20 and get it back when I return for approx £22.00 - £2.00 safe storage is not bad.)
Day after match take all clocks to Pawn Shop for £1.00 loan.
Day of match redeem said clocks for £1.25.
12 league matches = £3.00 per season.
(the only thing I have of any value is my guitar bought for £250 in 1971
and an £80 solid case.
When ever I go away for a week for or two I stick it in the Pawn Shop for
£20 and get it back when I return for approx £22.00 - £2.00 safe storage is not bad.)
-
Mike Truran
- Posts: 2427
- Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm
- Contact:
Re: CHESS CLOCK STORAGE
Nice idea - but a bit of a faff really for each and every match! And I'm not even sure that Witney has a pawnbrokers.
-
Steve Henderson
- Posts: 81
- Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:32 pm
- Location: Redcar
Re: CHESS CLOCK STORAGE
Hi MikeMike Truran wrote:Witney Chess Club have just bought 18 Saitek Mephisto digital chess clocks (with the assistance of some public funds - thank you Oxfordshire District Council). Does anyone have any recommendations on strong and durable storage cases to keep them protected when they're not being used? - ideally lockable as well so that they can be kept out of harm's way from five minute chess when matches aren't taking place! (that's how the old analogue clocks will probably end their lives).
Our total budget is around £100 (but obviously if we can spend less we will).
I have this case for sale £60 + p&p
It was a flightcase for a mixing desks free standing, it is lockable via a padlock.
If you require more info (sizes, pictures etc) I can sort - just let me know if you are interested.
Cheers - Steve H

- John Upham
- Posts: 8360
- Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:29 am
- Location: Cove, Hampshire, England.
- Contact:
Re: CHESS CLOCK STORAGE
I bought 6 DGT 2010 clocks for Camberley Chess Club and a flight case from a local photographic supplies shop for £30.
I then cut out the foam insert and all of the clocks are safely stored in the one case.
I then cut out the foam insert and all of the clocks are safely stored in the one case.
Arbiter, Organiser, Swiss Mangler person, Rating Officer, Teacher, Coach and Photographer
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess
-
Jon D'Souza-Eva
Re: CHESS CLOCK STORAGE
That reminds me of my second favourite chess cartoon:Geoff Chandler wrote:Day after match take all clocks to Pawn Shop for £1.00 loan.

-
Geoff Chandler
- Posts: 3821
- Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 pm
- Location: Under Cover
- Contact:
Re: CHESS CLOCK STORAGE
Of course I'm going to ask. What is your favourite chess cartoon?
The closest Pawn Shops to Witney Chess Club are:
164 Cowley Rd, Oxford - 01865 725 541
11 Middle Row, Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire - 01608 646 456
(The simple solution is to put them a in flimsy cardboard box marked 'soap').
Last edited by Geoff Chandler on Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Mike Truran
- Posts: 2427
- Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm
- Contact:
Re: CHESS CLOCK STORAGE
Bit of a trek from Witney to both of them! The ones in Headington and Didcot are a bit of a schlepp as well. I'm well impressed with your detective skills though - yell.com doesn't even have the one in Chippy.
Chess Magazine in B H Wood's days used to have quite a few cartoons - most of them I'm afraid of more or less indifferent quality.
Chess Magazine in B H Wood's days used to have quite a few cartoons - most of them I'm afraid of more or less indifferent quality.
-
Jon D'Souza-Eva
Re: CHESS CLOCK STORAGE
Chess cartoons are very rarely funny to a chess player. Because of this, when I do spot one I find amusing I'll save the picture if it's on the internet or scan it in if it's on paper. I've got a collection of about twenty which I think are funny. Here's the best one:


-
Michael Jones
- Posts: 642
- Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:37 pm
Re: CHESS CLOCK STORAGE
Not exactly a cartoon, but I quite like this one.


-
Sean Hewitt
Re: CHESS CLOCK STORAGE
Given the reported problems with this brand of digital clock, might this be an appropriate place?Mike Truran wrote:Witney Chess Club have just bought 18 Saitek Mephisto digital chess clocks. Does anyone have any recommendations on strong and durable storage cases to keep them protected when they're not being used?

-
Mike Truran
- Posts: 2427
- Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 pm
- Contact:
Re: CHESS CLOCK STORAGE
Well, we only use them for the non-incremental time controls in the Oxfordshire League (all moves in 90 minutes or 75 minutes depending on the division), so the only problem we have is that most of the club members are such technophobes that they can't reset them.