The new number 2?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 4414
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

The new number 2?

Post by MJMcCready » Mon Jun 29, 2026 7:01 pm

When chess friends meet up and play something other than chess together, what is most commonly played? Is it golf?

Kevin Thurlow
Posts: 6652
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: The new number 2?

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Mon Jun 29, 2026 7:35 pm

I know a reasonable number of chess players who also played table tennis. Magnus Carlsen looked pretty good when I saw him play years ago.

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 6380
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: The new number 2?

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Jun 29, 2026 8:06 pm

Snooker/pool seems quite popular for chessists in these parts at least.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mick Norris
Posts: 11401
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: The new number 2?

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jun 29, 2026 11:13 pm

Bowls
Any postings on here represent my personal views

User avatar
John Clarke
Posts: 915
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:07 pm

Re: The new number 2?

Post by John Clarke » Tue Jun 30, 2026 12:18 am

Back when I was still an active player, bridge was a pretty common alternative, although I was even worse at that than at chess.

But in Bob Pentecost's circle, it was usually rugby (or his form of it,anyway). Such improbable participants as Tony Swift and Norm Oliver often got roped in for a Sunday afternoon kick-around at the nearby Crystal Palace park.
"The chess-board is the world ..... the player on the other side is hidden from us ..... he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."
(He doesn't let you resign and start again, either.)

User avatar
IM Jack Rudd
Posts: 5175
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Bideford
Contact:

Re: The new number 2?

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Jun 30, 2026 7:44 am

David Buckley, Andy Gregory and I have gone to board game conventions together many times, but in those, you play a mix of games.

User avatar
MJMcCready
Posts: 4414
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: The new number 2?

Post by MJMcCready » Tue Jun 30, 2026 10:08 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 30, 2026 7:44 am
David Buckley, Andy Gregory and I have gone to board game conventions together many times, but in those, you play a mix of games.
Similar to when they had the mind sports olympiad in Kensington?

Mike Gunn
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:45 pm

Re: The new number 2?

Post by Mike Gunn » Tue Jun 30, 2026 10:25 am

We play Kriegspiel, but I'm not sure if a chess variant is a legitimate answer, here.

Tim Spanton
Posts: 1397
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:35 am
Contact:

Re: The new number 2?

Post by Tim Spanton » Tue Jun 30, 2026 10:26 am

Uno, Rage

User avatar
IM Jack Rudd
Posts: 5175
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
Location: Bideford
Contact:

Re: The new number 2?

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Jun 30, 2026 10:38 am

MJMcCready wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 30, 2026 10:08 am
IM Jack Rudd wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 30, 2026 7:44 am
David Buckley, Andy Gregory and I have gone to board game conventions together many times, but in those, you play a mix of games.
Similar to when they had the mind sports olympiad in Kensington?
To some extent, although I think the MSO is mainly focused on abstracts, and the games played at board game conventions tend to be thematics. Also, I believe the MSO had tournament structures, and board game conventions are rather more ad hoc.

Paul Habershon
Posts: 698
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:51 pm

Re: The new number 2?

Post by Paul Habershon » Tue Jun 30, 2026 11:40 am

MJMcCready wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 29, 2026 7:01 pm
When chess friends meet up and play something other than chess together, what is most commonly played? Is it golf?
I think bridge must be one of the most likely, with golf up there too. I am partnering a fellow chess club member at a bridge club this evening though he is not my regular partner. By chance on a bridge holiday with my partner, whom I met through bridge, we encountered Stewart Reuben whom I partnered for the men's and ladies' pairs session. In the past at least two of my chess club members have quit chess for bridge. The bridge grading list of 20,000 to 25,000 active players currently has Paul Littlewood at 53rd, Jonathan Mestel at 68th and Peter Lee at 125th. There are bound to be many other chess names there which I don't recognise. The grades are updated daily. When Tony Miles died he was due to be picked up to go and play bridge.

There are at least two other golfers at my chess club and before Covid we used to have an annual four-ball better ball team match against two golfers from another chess club. I did start a thread here years ago to find the lowest handicap golfing chess player and it came up with the late R P Ross of Hull off 2. Keith Richardson, correspondence GM, reached a respectable 14.

Ian Thompson
Posts: 4275
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Awbridge, Hampshire

Re: The new number 2?

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Jun 30, 2026 12:02 pm

Paul Habershon wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 30, 2026 11:40 am
Keith Richardson, correspondence GM, reached a respectable 14.
I remind you of viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11652&p=263820#p263820.

Mike Gunn
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:45 pm

Re: The new number 2?

Post by Mike Gunn » Tue Jun 30, 2026 5:17 pm

I used to go the MSO alongside many other chessplayers. I went particularly to play Entropy and there were several chessplayers who were MSO Entropy Champions on more than one occasion including Demis Hassabis, Peter Horlock (Godalming) and Alain Dekker (who used to play at Guildford).

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 10565
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: The new number 2?

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Jun 30, 2026 5:20 pm

Paul Habershon wrote: ↑
Tue Jun 30, 2026 11:40 am
MJMcCready wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 29, 2026 7:01 pm
When chess friends meet up and play something other than chess together, what is most commonly played? Is it golf?
I think bridge must be one of the most likely
When I was active in Surrey chess there used to be a fair few bridge players. More generally, isn't there a certain amount of poker crossover?

Personally, though I watch quite a lot of sport (mostly football, though before going abroad I also liked to go to cricket and rugby league) I find it very hard to play anything other than chess, for the lamentable reason that having reached a certain standard at our game, I don't much like being a beginner at anything else. (That said, I am trying to learn the Aragonese card game guiñote.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

Richard Bates
Posts: 3484
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:27 pm

Re: The new number 2?

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Jun 30, 2026 7:27 pm

I remember going to the George Goodwin rapidplays in the 90s when sometimes you got the impression that there was some occasional chess being played in between games of backgammon 😂

Post Reply