I want to buy a book for a boy coming up to his 12th birthday. He has just started learning to play chess at secondary school.
Can anyone recommend a suitable book?
Thanks.
A suitable book for a 12 year old new to chess
-
Gordon Morse
- Posts: 49
- Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:42 pm
A suitable book for a 12 year old new to chess
I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.
-
Richard James
- Posts: 1333
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:34 pm
- Location: Twickenham
- Contact:
Re: A suitable book for a 12 year old new to chess
Congratulations - I believe that 12 is a great age to start. While children with chess playing parents will benefit starting much younger, most children will gain much more by starting at 10-12.
My Chess Heroes books are designed to take the older beginner from learning how the pieces move through to adult club standard. They're based on more than 50 years experience teaching chess, a database of almost 17000 games played at Richmond Junior Club over a 30 year period, and the latest research about how novices acquire skills.
Start with the introductory book, and, if he wants to take the game further, move on to the next four volumes, covering checkmates, tactics, openings and endings. There are then two additional books (puzzles and games), with two more currently in preparation.
You can buy the books from Amazon, or download them for free.
Look round the course website for further information.
https://chessforheroes.uk/purchase/
My Chess Heroes books are designed to take the older beginner from learning how the pieces move through to adult club standard. They're based on more than 50 years experience teaching chess, a database of almost 17000 games played at Richmond Junior Club over a 30 year period, and the latest research about how novices acquire skills.
Start with the introductory book, and, if he wants to take the game further, move on to the next four volumes, covering checkmates, tactics, openings and endings. There are then two additional books (puzzles and games), with two more currently in preparation.
You can buy the books from Amazon, or download them for free.
Look round the course website for further information.
https://chessforheroes.uk/purchase/
-
Gordon Morse
- Posts: 49
- Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:42 pm
Re: A suitable book for a 12 year old new to chess
Thanks, Richard, that looks perfect.
I've ordered the book.
I've ordered the book.
I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.
-
Richard James
- Posts: 1333
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:34 pm
- Location: Twickenham
- Contact:
Re: A suitable book for a 12 year old new to chess
Many thanks, Gordon. I think the books are pretty good, but no publishers were interested and they've sold only a handful of copies on Amazon.Gordon Morse wrote: ↑Mon Sep 29, 2025 9:56 pmThanks, Richard, that looks perfect.
I've ordered the book.
Please feel free to direct any of your friends rated below 1500 or so to the Chess Heroes books.
- MJMcCready
- Posts: 4414
- Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:30 pm
Re: A suitable book for a 12 year old new to chess
I would recommend Richard's other publication also, 'The right way to teach chess to kids'.