London Review of Books article

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Post Reply
Richard James
Posts: 1333
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:34 pm
Location: Twickenham
Contact:

London Review of Books article

Post by Richard James » Thu Feb 13, 2025 9:09 am

An article from the London Review of Books.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v47/n03 ... rson/diary

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 10967
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: London Review of Books article

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Feb 13, 2025 10:24 am

Thank you, Richard. A lovely article, really well written, that beautifully captures many aspects of chess at many levels.

The article is On the Chess Circuit by Nicholas Pearson (an editor at John Murray) that is in large part about his son's journey into chess, but also quite a bit about the most recent two World Championship Finals.

Simon Myles
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu May 04, 2023 1:42 pm

Re: London Review of Books article

Post by Simon Myles » Thu Feb 13, 2025 11:04 am

A nice read. A large part of the article is about his son Charlie, who I note came joint 1st in a rated section at last weeks' Blackpool congress, so it is seemingly no longer just long days in draughty church halls and school gymnasiums on the outskirts of London!

Paul Cooksey
Posts: 2043
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:15 pm

Re: London Review of Books article

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Feb 14, 2025 6:40 pm

Maybe I am gatekeeping, but I always find chess parent accounts a bit odd. A bit like someone writing a movie review focusing on what the cinema is like rather than the film.

Angus French
Posts: 2199
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 1:37 am
Contact:

Re: London Review of Books article

Post by Angus French » Fri Feb 14, 2025 8:19 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote: ↑
Fri Feb 14, 2025 6:40 pm
Maybe I am gatekeeping, but I always find chess parent accounts a bit odd. A bit like someone writing a movie review focusing on what the cinema is like rather than the film.
I think others - non-competitive players, parents of players... - are allowed their take. I like that Charlie is keen and enjoying playing - with a supportive Dad. Also, in my view, it's a well-constructed piece and I can relate, some, to the recounting of watching the last two world championship matches.

Brian Beattie
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:02 pm

Re: London Review of Books article

Post by Brian Beattie » Sat Feb 15, 2025 3:40 pm

Simon Myles wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 13, 2025 11:04 am
A nice read. A large part of the article is about his son Charlie, who I note came joint 1st in a rated section at last weeks' Blackpool congress, so it is seemingly no longer just long days in draughty church halls and school gymnasiums on the outskirts of London!
Blackpool is one of only a few tournaments where kids who perform well can become a candidate for a junior England team. As my son was the antagonist at the end of the article who prevented Charlie from achieving this feat at the LJCC I am happy that it appears Charlie was able to achieve this at Blackpool. I was unaware that Charlie has only been playing for two years as I thought he was just a younger player playing up. As such he should be quite proud of the achievement. As a chess parent myself I quite enjoyed the article certainly not expecting the ending.

Post Reply