World open blitz drama
-
Clive Wismayer
- Posts: 131
- Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:55 pm
World open blitz drama
I hope the title of this thread passes muster among the hyper-critical here.
There is a debate raging on twitter (or X if you prefer) about the agreed division of the title between Magnus & Nepo. The balance of opinion is against them. I’m not among the critics. I watched the whole shebang on the Take Take Take YT channel & thoroughly enjoyed the drama & remarkable chess. However many, like Niemann, are beside themselves with outrage. Sutovsky, whether on his own account or as a spokesman for FIDE, seems particularly bitter. Perhaps he didn’t enjoy being singled out for criticism by Carlsen. I’m not up on high-level chess politics so can form no opinion on that particular spat.
Everything being connected to everything else, as Marx said, Carlsen’s breakaway ‘Freestyle’ chess (Fischer Random) initiative is mentioned as a source of conflict with FIDE. It’s all over my head but fun to watch.
Anyone here beside themselves, indifferent, comatose? Just wondered. Let’s have a poll!
There is a debate raging on twitter (or X if you prefer) about the agreed division of the title between Magnus & Nepo. The balance of opinion is against them. I’m not among the critics. I watched the whole shebang on the Take Take Take YT channel & thoroughly enjoyed the drama & remarkable chess. However many, like Niemann, are beside themselves with outrage. Sutovsky, whether on his own account or as a spokesman for FIDE, seems particularly bitter. Perhaps he didn’t enjoy being singled out for criticism by Carlsen. I’m not up on high-level chess politics so can form no opinion on that particular spat.
Everything being connected to everything else, as Marx said, Carlsen’s breakaway ‘Freestyle’ chess (Fischer Random) initiative is mentioned as a source of conflict with FIDE. It’s all over my head but fun to watch.
Anyone here beside themselves, indifferent, comatose? Just wondered. Let’s have a poll!
- Christopher Kreuzer
- Posts: 10963
- Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
- Location: London
Re: World open blitz drama
I voted for "nothing wrong with co-champions".
This forum (thankfully) is not X/Twitter.
This forum (thankfully) is not X/Twitter.
- IM Jack Rudd
- Posts: 5174
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:13 am
- Location: Bideford
- Contact:
Re: World open blitz drama
I pick a fourth option: "nothing wrong with co-champions in general, but dislike them when the format was clearly explicitly designed to produce an outright winner".
-
Clive Wismayer
- Posts: 131
- Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:55 pm
Re: World open blitz drama
Twitter is a lot more interesting.Christopher Kreuzer wrote: ↑Thu Jan 02, 2025 8:47 amI voted for "nothing wrong with co-champions".
This forum (thankfully) is not X/Twitter.
-
NickFaulks
- Posts: 9282
- Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm
Re: World open blitz drama
Not sure what point you are making here.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.
-
NickFaulks
- Posts: 9282
- Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm
Re: World open blitz drama
Well, yes. I didn't know how to vote, since it is entirely possible to agree with both of the ( supposedly conflicting ) major options. I wouldn't be surprised if that were the majority view.IM Jack Rudd wrote: ↑Thu Jan 02, 2025 8:52 amI pick a fourth option: "nothing wrong with co-champions in general, but dislike them when the format was clearly explicitly designed to produce an outright winner".
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.
- Christopher Kreuzer
- Posts: 10963
- Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
- Location: London
Re: World open blitz drama
Should be obvious, surely. Clive says X/Twitter is "interesting". Maybe it is, but it has downsides that this forum does not have.
-
Paul Cooksey
- Posts: 2043
- Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:15 pm
Re: World open blitz drama
I voted for don't care as the compromise option, although that isn't to say I think it is unimportant. Nice to see the tradition of agreeing the poll question is wrong continuing.
I assume Clive is fishing for someone to say GM Liang won the World Open without the need for tiebreaks. I'm happy to oblige.Clive Wismayer wrote: ↑Thu Jan 02, 2025 8:14 amI hope the title of this thread passes muster among the hyper-critical here.
-
NickFaulks
- Posts: 9282
- Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm
Re: World open blitz drama
I was wondering whether it had some relevance to the topic under discussion. If it just felt like a cool thing to write, fair enough.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.
-
NickFaulks
- Posts: 9282
- Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm
Re: World open blitz drama
I certainly didn't consider that approach!Paul Cooksey wrote: ↑Thu Jan 02, 2025 9:41 amI voted for don't care as the compromise option, although that isn't to say I think it is unimportant.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.
-
Ian Thompson
- Posts: 4274
- Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:31 pm
- Location: Awbridge, Hampshire
Re: World open blitz drama
I'd pick another option - there should have been some means of stopping play and giving the players a break after a long series of draws, but doing so after only 3 tie-break games lasting a total of less than 30 minutes was too soon.
The final started at 5 pm, so they weren't playing very late into the evening. I'd change the rules for next time to give the players a break after every 4 games.
The final started at 5 pm, so they weren't playing very late into the evening. I'd change the rules for next time to give the players a break after every 4 games.
-
Geoff Chandler
- Posts: 3821
- Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:36 pm
- Location: Under Cover
- Contact:
Re: World open blitz drama
Don't care. Blitz chess is fun chess, the equivalent to five a side football in comparison to the full game.
FIDE should have got into the fun spirit of things like Magnus and Ian and invented an on the spot tie break by declaring Magnus the winner because he got to the final playing fewer games in the last 8 section. (it took him 10 games, Nepo 13) If the players said 'But that is not in the rules.' FIDE then say; 'Neither is what you are proposing. Happy New Year!''
(Magnus and Jean-Gate was featured on the Jeremy Vine show a few minutes ago. )
FIDE should have got into the fun spirit of things like Magnus and Ian and invented an on the spot tie break by declaring Magnus the winner because he got to the final playing fewer games in the last 8 section. (it took him 10 games, Nepo 13) If the players said 'But that is not in the rules.' FIDE then say; 'Neither is what you are proposing. Happy New Year!''
(Magnus and Jean-Gate was featured on the Jeremy Vine show a few minutes ago. )
-
Paul Cooksey
- Posts: 2043
- Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:15 pm
Re: World open blitz drama
I like Geoff's idea. But maybe we could instead give Ding the title as the highest rated blitz player not involved in this fiasco?
-
Mick Norris
- Posts: 11398
- Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
- Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
Re: World open blitz drama
Maybe a blitz match v Gukesh to decide the title?Paul Cooksey wrote: ↑Thu Jan 02, 2025 10:34 amI like Geoff's idea. But maybe we could instead give Ding the title as the highest rated blitz player not involved in this fiasco?
Better to just disqualify everyone who played in New York
Any postings on here represent my personal views
- Matt Mackenzie
- Posts: 6378
- Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
- Location: Millom, Cumbria
Re: World open blitz drama
Now, this *is* trolling.Clive Wismayer wrote: ↑Thu Jan 02, 2025 9:05 amTwitter is a lot more interesting.Christopher Kreuzer wrote: ↑Thu Jan 02, 2025 8:47 amI voted for "nothing wrong with co-champions".
This forum (thankfully) is not X/Twitter.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)