(Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
Paul Robert Jackson

Re: (Chess) Life Returning To Normal

Post by Paul Robert Jackson » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:49 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:15 pm
No not yet Paul, I'll email Malcolm Peacock and find out.
I've found some more events which I'll post in Congress Diary when I get home from work tonight.
I had an email from Malcolm Peacock regarding Preston Congress.
Maybe / Venue issues.
Paul Robert Jackson

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:15 pm

Paul Robert Jackson wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:49 pm
Simon Rogers wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:15 pm
No not yet Paul, I'll email Malcolm Peacock and find out.
I've found some more events which I'll post in Congress Diary when I get home from work tonight.
I had an email from Malcolm Peacock regarding Preston Congress.
Maybe / Venue issues.
Thanks Paul.
Preston Chess Club have their AGM on Wednesday 27th July at 7.45pm.
Hopefully we will find more out after then.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:34 pm

Great afternoon in York today with a Junior Chess in the Park event, organised by the superb Ben Rich. Thank you and Peter Cloudsdale for inviting the Holmfirth lot along.
HDCA President

Simon Rogers

Post by Simon Rogers » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:08 am

Stephen Westmoreland wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:34 pm
Great afternoon in York today with a Junior Chess in the Park event, organised by the superb Ben Rich. Thank you and Peter Cloudsdale for inviting the Holmfirth lot along.
Congratulations Stephen on winning the ECF's Small Club of the Year, for Holmfirth Chess Club.
You've done great work there.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:41 pm

Simon Rogers wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:08 am
Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:34 pm
Congratulations Stephen on winning the ECF's Small Club of the Year, for Holmfirth Chess Club.
You've done great work there.
Thank you. It was a big team effort, especially from Rob (Junior Manager and Club Secretary), Dave (Captain and website work), Andrew (adult coaching), Gaz and Drew (junior coaching). Lovely club and I am very proud to be a part.
Last edited by Stephen Westmoreland on Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HDCA President

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:43 pm

We just did an ad-hoc Saturday session with a new junior and adult coming. In total 7 juniors and 6 adults. Enjoying a post session pint right now!
HDCA President

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:40 pm

Paul Habershon wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:59 pm
The slight increase in active membership bucks the trend of many clubs in other spheres where return to face-to-face contact has been slow. Certainly most bridge clubs are scarcely back to half pre-Covid numbers. With bridge I think this is partly due to players discovering the convenience of online play. The RealBridge platform involving camera and microphone makes cheating less easy, while in online chess there is no equivalent in general use to mitigate the problem we all know about.
there are many zoom events in online chess google them-the us continent chess organisation is one.

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:43 pm

Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:43 pm
We just did an ad-hoc Saturday session with a new junior and adult coming. In total 7 juniors and 6 adults. Enjoying a post session pint right now!
a vice-president of yorkshire chess organisation enjoying a pint-whod have thought it?

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:06 pm

AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:43 pm
a vice-president of yorkshire chess organisation enjoying a pint-whod have thought it?
Not sure what you mean there Alan but it was a good event and a nice pint after.
HDCA President

AlanLlewellyn

Post by AlanLlewellyn » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:45 pm

Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:06 pm
AlanLlewellyn wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:43 pm
Not sure what you mean there Alan but it was a good event and a nice pint aferwards
What i mean is the yorkshire people arent known for liking a pint(sarcasm)

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:08 pm

Oh right. Understood.
HDCA President

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:16 pm

I am over in Nottingham with work and staying over in a hotel. A quick search for Nomads led me to the Organ Grinder Pub, only to find they did not come back after lockdown. Another search found the location, 35 mins walk away. The next Monday I am in hotels here, I promise to visit!
HDCA President

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:46 am

First meeting back after the summer last night. This is often quiet, indeed in the year immediately before COVID I presided over an empty room. But there were good numbers including a high percentage of those who joined us for the first time last year and for whom the novelty hasn't worn off, a key group for sustained growth.(others in that category not present last night have already renewed ECF memberships.) And with too many members having passed away in recent years, it was great to see one of our older members who had undergone challenging medical treatment returning to the club as well.

A.Kluckova

Post by A.Kluckova » Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:08 am

Will chess return back to the online sector?

Some of you may have caught information about the big protest in Prague, held on the 3rd of September. The next protests will be also in Slovakia,
are scheduled for 14. and 19. of September ( so sorry , l will not play in Ilkley). What is going on? According to information, Slovakia and the Czech Republic are the countries most affected by EU sanctions. Households have not yet received new utility invoices (?!), but organizations have. Suppliers have increased their advance payments almost 5-times ( !?) since September 22, including schools, pre-school facilities and hospitals. Of course there is no money for that. Schools are starting to propose measures. As a temporary solution, it will be possible to return teaching to the online sector. Will chess also return back to the online sector ???

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:29 am

A.Kluckova wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:08 am
Will chess return back to the online sector?
Veteran British players will no doubt recall playing in extremely cold church halls and scout huts.

Increased rents may well become an issue, as will increased hotel costs.

Playing online has the disadvantage for serious play that you have limited ability to be sure that your opponent isn't consulting external sources of information,