Chess Clubs Friendly?

Discuss anything you like about chess related matters in this forum.
John Upham

Chess Clubs Friendly?

Post by John Upham » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:50 pm

In the description of many chess clubs (via their web site or FB group) they claim that they are "friendly".

I have attempted to work out what this means in reality and how this impacts on a potential newcomer.

I've not found many clubs who claim to be unfriendly but the balance make no claims in this direction.

Which other sports often claim that their clubs are friendly?
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Paul Cooksey

Re: Chess Clubs Friendly?

Post by Paul Cooksey » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:05 pm

It could be that there are lots of unfriendly clubs but they are trying to escape to attention of unwelcome potential new members

Joey Stewart

Post by Joey Stewart » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:24 pm

It's probably more something you would find in sports, where the friendly clubs just like to have a little bit of fun and exercise rather then playing competitive League and tournament games, so I guess chess clubs saying they are friendly would imply they have a few members who are largely just interested in social unrated games and having a chat and a drink or two.

I'm sure there are plenty of clubs that would be considered UN friendly though - top end 4ncl sides where most of the team are hired mercenaries that don't even know who their team mates will be from week to week would probably qualify as such.
Lose one queen and it is a disaster, Lose 1000 queens and it is just a statistic.

Stephen Westmoreland

Post by Stephen Westmoreland » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:51 pm

Just back from the club tonight. We had a new member join and he seemed to enjoy himself. No match was on and players mixed. We had a puzzle on the wall board. Talkative atmosphere and people got on. We had about 10 adults in and 8 juniors before the adult session started.
HDCA President

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:32 am

Joey Stewart wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:24 pm
I'm sure there are plenty of clubs that would be considered UN friendly though - top end 4ncl sides where most of the team are hired mercenaries that don't even know who their team mates will be from week to week would probably qualify as such.
Not sure of that, to be honest - everything I see of Guildford and Cheddleton suggests they have great team spirit. And those sorts of teams would tend to be, at the least, professionally respectful.

No, I think for true unfriendliness, what you would want is a club with a long-running feud between two senior members, which ends up permeating all the internal interactions.

Paul Habershon

Post by Paul Habershon » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:29 am

Clubs need two rooms. My club, Bedford, has only one, upstairs in a social club which used to call itself anachronistically a 'working men's club'. There is a bar downstairs, but although players occasionally take a set there to analyse after a game, we don't feel welcome to colonise it for chess throughout the evening because it would seem like hiring another room free of charge.

We have league matches and ongoing club championship all-play-all divisions so as soon as there is even one rated game started, it is impossible to have a normal volume conversation in the room. Club members are friendly, but it is difficult for newcomers unless they are ready made club standard players. There is usually a large gulf in strength between them and even the weakest existing member. So often they attend for a couple of weeks then drift away despite getting a friendly welcome.

Obviously this is where two rooms would be ideal. Even without formal teaching, a huge amount could be achieved in the 'social' room by chatting through games with newcomers. We might even get to know more about colleagues we have been acquainted with for years.

I wonder what percentage of clubs do have two rooms.

John Reyes

Post by John Reyes » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:44 am

I went to 3C's chess club in oldham last night to play a match and their club is one of the friendly clubs in the area as we was felt to be made welcome
Any postings on here represent my personal views only and also Dyslexia as well

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:04 am

The two room discussion has arisen before of course, but I was struck recently in how quiet the club venue was even on a non match night. There are a lot of well mannered people who prefer the quiet of chess rather than social interaction. It can almost make you feel self conscious if you play blitz or have a conversation. That said our new players have signed up, so we can't be unfriendly.

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:20 am

I think Paul’s analysis is spot on, and pretty much describes every club I have ever belonged to. JTM’s point about many people preferring quiet, even when there are no matches on, also rings true to me.
For me, the most enjoyable club nights are those with no serious matches, some casual chess (5-minute or otherwise, but not ‘organised’), and some banter. Not sure how friendly that appears to newcomers, but I would buy it.

MSoszynski

Post by MSoszynski » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:26 am

I recall a certain player visiting two clubs before deciding between them. One was library quiet with soft drinks only. The other had a bar, was sociable and lively even on a match night, and in fact the occasion he visited was the subject of an upheld complaint to the league about spectator noise. You can correctly guess that he joined the latter club — mine.

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:39 am

I wonder how many prospective members have a choice of clubs? I suspect that in many part of the country the choice is between the nearest club and not joining at all.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:32 am

I recall transitioning (in 1978) from two sleepy clubs that were library quiet and had much ssssshing (?) to the amazing London Central YMCA club run wonderfully by Mike Wills.

The contrast was staggering. What impressed me greatly was the degree of banter, sledging and sharing of information between players.

Good times with Simon LeBlanq, Jon Ady, Mike Wills, Ian Watson, Bob Kane, Andrew Martin, Neil Carr, Cathy Forbes and the list goes on and on.

And it was SOOOO strong...

I was in chess heaven.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D