Digital Chess Timer £24.95 plus p&p

Provide a description and system requirements and/or condition etc.
Gareth T Ellis

Digital Chess Timer £24.95 plus p&p

Post by Gareth T Ellis » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:41 pm

http://wholesalechess.co.uk/Products-DI ... any_2.html

The English Chess Company's Digital Chess Timer is currently the simplest, most affordable and compact clock available in the UK With incremental and multiple time periods

Specifications
Net Weight : 130g
Size : 150*102*58mm

Displays seconds from the start e.g. h:mm:ss
With 37 pre-programmed settings
Special user "00" setting with 4 separate time periods
Special user "99" to keep your alterations of the 37 settings
Move counter operational in all settings
Low battery indicator
Black / White indicator and a flag
Ideally suited for chess clubs,schools and home use

Comes in a nice sturdy storage box with magnetic flip up lid
Requires a single AA battery (not included)
one year warranty

Mick Norris

Re: Digital Chess Timer £24.95 plus p&p

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:39 am

Hi Gareth

Are there any independent reviews of the clock?
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Gareth T Ellis

Post by Gareth T Ellis » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:14 am

Mick Norris » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:39 am

Hi Gareth

Hi Mick,

I've only had verbal reviews prior to releasing for sale, more detailed reviews are in the process of being produced for publication.
If you want to test 1 out yourself or nominate someone to do some reviewing then pm me and I'll arrange it.

I'm that confident in them that it's the only clock I'll be selling in future.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:20 am

Thanks Gareth, we might well do that; I have emailed my MCF colleagues this morning to see if we had already ordered some more digital clocks (we need some for the AGM in July)
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:30 am

Mick Norris wrote:Are there any independent reviews of the clock?
There is one on the CAA website.

http://www.chessarbitersassociation.co. ... iews1.html

I tried one out at Blackpool. Definitely a better option than the DGTEasy+ and 1001

It would be a better option than the DGT2010 but for one or two things. (Cannot be set to add time until a clock reaches 0 and will add time to a clock only when it reaches 0 so one clock might have the time added several moves before the other.)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:54 am

Alex McFarlane wrote: (Cannot be set to add time until a clock reaches 0 and will add time to a clock only when it reaches 0 so one clock might have the time added several moves before the other.)
Why do the writers of FIDE Laws of Chess have this obsession with trying to mislead players and spectators as to clock times? You should reach the required number of moves at an intermediate time control, then check that there's time remaining and add additional time. That's surely the most logical way of doing it and if the clock can easily be checked that it has recorded the same number of moves as player scoresheets, the objection about too may or too few clock presses goes away. Even with a mechanical clock, you could word it that additional time is added when the player of the Black pieces makes a valid claim that the time control has been reached with time remaining.

Gareth T Ellis

Post by Gareth T Ellis » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:12 am

Alex McFarlane » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:30 am

Mick Norris wrote:

There is one on the CAA website.

http://www.chessarbitersassociation.co. ... iews1.html

I tried one out at Blackpool. Definitely a better option than the DGTEasy+ and 1001
Thank you Alex, so for schools, most leagues and home use would you recommend it ?
It would be a better option than the DGT2010 but for one or two things. (Cannot be set to add time until a clock reaches 0 and will add time to a clock only when it reaches 0 so one clock might have the time added several moves before the other.)
Well DGT are the bench-mark so to get that close on a first attempt isn't bad.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:33 am

Hi Gareth,

I know that the American Chronos also adds additional time on at different points but I would like to know how British players react to that oddity before i would recommend it outright.

I am very happy to say that I would buy it rather than the 4 bottom of the range DGT clocks. When comparing it to the 2010, it has pluses and it has minuses. More pluses than minuses certainly I would say but the the individual would need to decide if the size of the two minuses I have highlighted is significant.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:57 am

Gareth T Ellis wrote:Thank you Alex, so for schools, most leagues and home use would you recommend it ?
I realise I'm not the Alex you referred to, but I also saw it in action at the junior tournament you were at, and thought I'd offer a comment or two.

I think Alex's comment that "In theory it is therefore possible for one clock to be showing the time remaining in session 1 whilst the other clock is showing the time remaining in session 3" is a showstopper for use at important events. Personally, I'd be reluctant to use the clock at events with more than one time control.

I'd be very happy to use the clocks at a Rapidplay or a Blitz - i.e. a game with one time period. The DGT Easy+ is suitable for games with one time period and an increment, but £24.95 for this trumps the fact the DGT Easy+ retails for about £30. So they're definitely a better option.

The only other comment I'd make is on aesthetics - It would have been nice if they weren't grey.

Gareth T Ellis

Post by Gareth T Ellis » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:21 am

Alex Holowczak » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:57 am

Gareth T Ellis wrote:
Thank you Alex, so for schools, most leagues and home use would you recommend it ?

I realise I'm not the Alex you referred to, but I also saw it in action at the junior tournament you were at, and thought I'd offer a comment or two.

I think Alex's comment that "In theory it is therefore possible for one clock to be showing the time remaining in session 1 whilst the other clock is showing the time remaining in session 3" is a showstopper for use at important events. Personally, I'd be reluctant to use the clock at events with more than one time control.

I'd be very happy to use the clocks at a Rapidplay or a Blitz - i.e. a game with one time period. The DGT Easy+ is suitable for games with one time period and an increment, but £24.95 for this trumps the fact the DGT Easy+ retails for about £30. So they're definitely a better option.

The only other comment I'd make is on aesthetics - It would have been nice if they weren't grey.
Apart from major FIDE events and the odd league there aren't many UK events that use 3 or more sessions and I'm sure they already have adequate equipment but obviously the handling of multiple periods will be looked into, to further improve our product.
With incremental time controls being promoted for tournaments and the lack of clocks currently available for these events (you yourself had concerns over which clocks were going to used at the event) they should make a big difference.

From your experience of them, would you say they are robust enough for these events?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:01 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:You should reach the required number of moves at an intermediate time control, then check that there's time remaining and add additional time.
This is an old discussion. How do you know when the required number of moves have been made? Do you want the clock to decide?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:10 pm

NickFaulks wrote: This is an old discussion. How do you know when the required number of moves have been made? Do you want the clock to decide?
The score sheet records the number of moves. If the clock has the same count, where's the problem? If there's a doubt, you check the clock and adjust it. Simple. With every increasing use of increments, you don't want people restarting the opponent's clock anyway. For what it's worth, the DGT 2010 design is always counting. It doesn't use that information unless instructed to and most settings don't, hence the period of uncertainty. At least with DGTs, both sides of the clock show the same uncertainty. Particularly if you were playing Jack, having the two sides asymmetric could be a nightmare.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:31 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote: If there's a doubt, you check the clock and adjust it.
But at what point does the doubt emerge? I don't want the clock to add time, and thereby disrupt the game, after 39 moves because it thinks 40 moves have been played.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:04 pm

NickFaulks wrote: But at what point does the doubt emerge?
If no one has messed around restarting the opposite timer, the count is going to be reliable. Let's not forget that the "old" method of doing 40/90 + 30 with 30 second increments would add the time at move 40. In perhaps 100 games at that move rate and the similar 40/80 + 20 or 40 with 60 second increments, I can only recall one of my games where the time didn't add or added early.

It would be much better if the move count was displayed on the face of the display, but failing that, perhaps you check 10 moves before the time control. In tournaments, a patrolling arbiter could periodically check for synchronisation.

It's alleged that DGT didn't put the counter on the display because they thought it contravened the Laws of Chess. It doesn't and hasn't done so since the days when the first sensory boards appeared over thirty years ago. A well known arbiter caused a clause to be inserted to the effect that demo boards in sight of the players could display move counts. Players weren't allowed to claim a win on time using the display, but it would confirm their scoresheet was accurate.

Gareth T Ellis

Post by Gareth T Ellis » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:46 pm

A reminder of the target market.

Ideally suited for chess clubs,schools and home use

The timings being discussed are for congresses which clearly isn't part of the target market, although capable of doing but in a different way to UK expectations.