Portland Chess Sets

Provide a description and system requirements and/or condition etc.
Dave Regis

Portland Chess Sets

Post by Dave Regis » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:22 pm

Has anyone got a clean one of these ancient cardboard slot-in sets to dispose of?

I have had a forlorn appeal from someone hoping to obtain one.

Catherine Glynn

Re: Portland Chess Sets

Post by Catherine Glynn » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:01 pm

Yes, I've got one (The Twin Portland Chess & Draughts Board) but it's a bit grubby. You are welcome to it FOC and just pay postage (approx. £1.00).

If you contact me at [email protected] I can send you a couple of photos so that your friend can decide whether or not it's acceptable.

Catherine
Glynn's Books

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:30 pm

Catherine Glynn wrote:Yes, I've got one (The Twin Portland Chess & Draughts Board) but it's a bit grubby. You are welcome to it FOC and just pay postage (approx. £1.00).
£1 !!!! I used to post them for about 6d* each time I made a move - and I thought long and hard about whether I could afford it. I often delayed posting until the thinking deadline, just to conserve pocket money.

* 2 1/2 p for the benefit of the youngies.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:16 pm

Michael Farthing wrote: I used to post them for about 6d* each time I made a move -
You didn't normally send Portlands back and forwards, it was the double scoresheet printed on card or heavier grade paper that did the travelling. The Portland was where you kept a record of the current position(s). Experienced players or just fanatics would have as many Portlands as they had games in progress. Provided you didn't lose the men or destroy the cardboard, they had another use for post game analysis in the bar. "Screen size" was about the same as a small tablet or large smart phone.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:48 am

Yes of course Roger! Senior moment.

Dave Regis

Post by Dave Regis » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:58 am

That's a very prompt and generous offer

The old boy who contacted me was prepared to pay a tenner but eschews all contact with the Internet, so I think don't worry with the photos.

I'd be happy to contribute something beyond postage; I'll email you for instructions about where and how can I pay you

JamesGallagher

Post by JamesGallagher » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:54 pm

I recently had a number of these in great condition which I have just given to Dave Welch our club librarian for safe keeping. I would expect a couple would be available rather than sit on a shelf if required
James Gallagher
President of Liverpool Chess Club
07789 924983
www.facebook.com/Liverpoolchessclub/