Page 1 of 1

Book Sale

Posted: Wed May 20, 2026 3:35 pm
by Jon Mahony
Hi all,

I listed these a while ago, but wound up flogging some on eBay - sick of these remaining ones hanging around, so all practically give-away price now. PayPal preferred but will take a cheque - PM if interested :)

DVD / CD-Rom - All £5.00 + £2.50 P&P

Foxy 7 – Anti Kings Indian & Grunfeld System, Aaron Summerscale
Foxy 14 – Blackmar-Diemar Gambit, Andrew Martin
Foxy 20 – 1.d4 Dynamite! Aaron Summerscale
Foxy 80 – Kings Gambit Part 2, Andrew Martin
ABC of the Benko Gambit 2nd Edition – Andrew Martin
ABC of the Evans Gambit – Andrew Martin
ABC of the Ruy Lopez 2nd Edition – Andrew Martin
The Wicked Veresov Attack – Andrew Martin
Killer French Part 1 – Simon Williams
Killer French Part 2 – Simon Williams

Re: Book Sale

Posted: Thu May 21, 2026 6:37 pm
by Jon Mahony
Edited as books all gone now, DVD's still available :)

Re: Book Sale

Posted: Thu May 21, 2026 8:04 pm
by Christopher Kreuzer
Was going to suggest you leave the book titles up as it was interesting. I mean, the Jeremy Morse problems book was the only one vaguely of any interest (do people really still use openings books?).

Is the Jeremy Morse book any good?

Re: Book Sale

Posted: Fri May 22, 2026 7:05 am
by Jon Mahony
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: ↑
Thu May 21, 2026 8:04 pm
Was going to suggest you leave the book titles up as it was interesting. I mean, the Jeremy Morse problems book was the only one vaguely of any interest (do people really still use openings books?).

Is the Jeremy Morse book any good?
I'll be honest, I only ever really thumbed it, I picked it up in a second hand book-shop many years ago. I mainly got it because I am a fan of the Inspector Morse novels and I knew Colin Dexter had taken the name from his friend Jeremy - Chess problems are not really my thing though.

Agreed, hence a large clear out, I haven't touched any of these in years. I'm sure some people will still find a use for them, but chess video courses have evolved so much in the last 10 years that books are getting towards obsolete.

Re: Book Sale

Posted: Fri May 22, 2026 5:02 pm
by Matt Mackenzie
Plenty of people still prefer books, and not just us oldies either.

Re: Book Sale

Posted: Sat May 23, 2026 7:03 am
by Jon Mahony
Matt Mackenzie wrote: ↑
Fri May 22, 2026 5:02 pm
Plenty of people still prefer books, and not just us oldies either.
Yeah, I'm sure they do :)

Personally I always found them hard work - I would sit down with a board and pieces, attempt to analyse all the variations and sub variations, but an hour in, I would realise I was bored to tears and hadn't taken any of it in anyway - I fear that is my skill level as opposed to the books fault though and probably explains why I never got above 140. Just prefer video courses myself, not that a do a great deal of study these days, I only play the odd club match.