Book Sale

Provide a description and system requirements and/or condition etc.
Post Reply
User avatar
Jon Mahony
Posts: 757
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:47 pm
Location: Leeds

Book Sale

Post by Jon Mahony » Wed May 20, 2026 3:35 pm

Hi all,

I listed these a while ago, but wound up flogging some on eBay - sick of these remaining ones hanging around, so all practically give-away price now. PayPal preferred but will take a cheque - PM if interested :)

DVD / CD-Rom - All £5.00 + £2.50 P&P

Foxy 7 – Anti Kings Indian & Grunfeld System, Aaron Summerscale
Foxy 14 – Blackmar-Diemar Gambit, Andrew Martin
Foxy 20 – 1.d4 Dynamite! Aaron Summerscale
Foxy 80 – Kings Gambit Part 2, Andrew Martin
ABC of the Benko Gambit 2nd Edition – Andrew Martin
ABC of the Evans Gambit – Andrew Martin
ABC of the Ruy Lopez 2nd Edition – Andrew Martin
The Wicked Veresov Attack – Andrew Martin
Killer French Part 1 – Simon Williams
Killer French Part 2 – Simon Williams
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

User avatar
Jon Mahony
Posts: 757
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:47 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Book Sale

Post by Jon Mahony » Thu May 21, 2026 6:37 pm

Edited as books all gone now, DVD's still available :)
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 10968
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: Book Sale

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu May 21, 2026 8:04 pm

Was going to suggest you leave the book titles up as it was interesting. I mean, the Jeremy Morse problems book was the only one vaguely of any interest (do people really still use openings books?).

Is the Jeremy Morse book any good?

User avatar
Jon Mahony
Posts: 757
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:47 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Book Sale

Post by Jon Mahony » Fri May 22, 2026 7:05 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: ↑
Thu May 21, 2026 8:04 pm
Was going to suggest you leave the book titles up as it was interesting. I mean, the Jeremy Morse problems book was the only one vaguely of any interest (do people really still use openings books?).

Is the Jeremy Morse book any good?
I'll be honest, I only ever really thumbed it, I picked it up in a second hand book-shop many years ago. I mainly got it because I am a fan of the Inspector Morse novels and I knew Colin Dexter had taken the name from his friend Jeremy - Chess problems are not really my thing though.

Agreed, hence a large clear out, I haven't touched any of these in years. I'm sure some people will still find a use for them, but chess video courses have evolved so much in the last 10 years that books are getting towards obsolete.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 6381
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: Book Sale

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri May 22, 2026 5:02 pm

Plenty of people still prefer books, and not just us oldies either.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

User avatar
Jon Mahony
Posts: 757
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:47 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Book Sale

Post by Jon Mahony » Sat May 23, 2026 7:03 am

Matt Mackenzie wrote: ↑
Fri May 22, 2026 5:02 pm
Plenty of people still prefer books, and not just us oldies either.
Yeah, I'm sure they do :)

Personally I always found them hard work - I would sit down with a board and pieces, attempt to analyse all the variations and sub variations, but an hour in, I would realise I was bored to tears and hadn't taken any of it in anyway - I fear that is my skill level as opposed to the books fault though and probably explains why I never got above 140. Just prefer video courses myself, not that a do a great deal of study these days, I only play the odd club match.
"When you see a good move, look for a better one!" - Lasker

Post Reply