http://www.londonchess.org.uk/ :D

Enjoy or otherwise.
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: London League results service

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:11 pm

A few comments (now that I've actually used this site to look up recent results):

1) The older site has the tables arranged so you can see at a glance which matches have yet to be played. The new site only ranks the teams, rather than being a full cross-table. Are there any plans to emulate this feature of the older site, and is it even possible?

2) A match I played in finished 3.5-2.5 with two games adjourned. Recently, one of those games was resigned, bringing the result to 4.5-2.5 (i.e. a win). The match card is here:

http://www.londonchess.org.uk/match_car ... n=20112012

However, the league table, despite showing the 4.5 and 2.5 bits, still shows the match results as undecided:

http://www.londonchess.org.uk/tables_di ... n=20112012

At least that is what I presume 0 with an asterisk next to it means.

Is this intentional? It would seem more logical to put the points up once the match is decided, even if there are still adjourned games to be played.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:41 am

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:51 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:A few comments (now that I've actually used this site to look up recent results):

1) The older site has the tables arranged so you can see at a glance which matches have yet to be played. The new site only ranks the teams, rather than being a full cross-table. Are there any plans to emulate this feature of the older site, and is it even possible?

Yes and yes but it will take a finite time for me to write the code, test it and deploy it.

2) A match I played in finished 3.5-2.5 with two games adjourned. Recently, one of those games was resigned, bringing the result to 4.5-2.5 (i.e. a win). The match card is here:

http://www.londonchess.org.uk/match_car ... n=20112012

However, the league table, despite showing the 4.5 and 2.5 bits, still shows the match results as undecided:

You are correct and this is on my Todo list.

http://www.londonchess.org.uk/tables_di ... n=20112012

At least that is what I presume 0 with an asterisk next to it means.

Correct.

Is this intentional? It would seem more logical to put the points up once the match is decided, even if there are still adjourned games to be played.

This is also possible but an intelligent chess player could probably work this out.

Gavin Strachan

Post by Gavin Strachan » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:20 pm

It is an inherently much improved and up to date website and I take my hat off for the hard work you have put in to get it to where it is. I found the old fixtures list exceedingly confusing at times. Where do you get the players pictures from?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat May 12, 2012 6:00 pm

I think the old website has now redirected to this new one, but there still seems to be a lack of cross-tables. I'm looking at the division 4 table and trying to work out which of the Wanstead & Woodford 2 matches is not yet resolved (the table shows played 10, won 7, drawn 1, lost 1). You can bring up a list of their fixtures this season, but to get the individual match results, you have to click on them one at a time, which is much worse than a cross-table showing all the results on one page.

The bishop symbol by the Wanstead & Woodford 2 vs Morley College 2 match shows that it is not yet fully finished, but the result is actually known (a win for Wanstead & Woodford 2). This is not yet shown in the league table, a bug I noted before and which it seems nothing has been done about. The old website was better in that it would show won matches as actually won, even if some games were adjourned.

The bit I do like is the ability to click on a player and see their results for the season. I just clicked on my name and was pleasantly surprised by the listing of results and calculations of the grading performance! Pity about my play for other clubs this season. :?

EDIT: My apologies, it seems the old site is now housed within the new site:

http://www.londonchess.org.uk/Old/index-2.html

I somehow missed the "The Old Site" link in the sidebar.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sat May 12, 2012 8:42 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
The bit I do like is the ability to click on a player and see their results for the season. I just clicked on my name and was pleasantly surprised by the listing of results and calculations of the grading performance! Pity about my play for other clubs this season. :?

The grading performance is inaccurate because all games will be graded using January grades.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Sat May 12, 2012 8:57 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: I just clicked on my name and was pleasantly surprised by the listing of results and calculations of the grading performance!
The grading performance is inaccurate because all games will be graded using January grades.
I didn't think so. All games will definitely be included in the July 2012 list, and not retrospectively added to the January 2012 list. I thought the grading performance would be calculated using the grades that were current at the time the game was played, so those played in 2011 will be calculated using July 2011 grades.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat May 12, 2012 9:00 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:
Richard Bates wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: I just clicked on my name and was pleasantly surprised by the listing of results and calculations of the grading performance!
I didn't think so. All games will definitely be included in the July 2012 list, and not retrospectively added to the January 2012 list. I thought the grading performance would be calculated using the grades that were current at the time the game was played, so those played in 2011 will be calculated using July 2011 grades.
My understanding - which is not definitive - is the same as Ian's.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat May 12, 2012 9:18 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: My understanding - which is not definitive - is the same as Ian's.

I had the opposite impression, that all the July 2012 calculations would use January 2012 as the starting point and combine that with fresh data, whatever it was dated. The point being that you run into problems processing new players and juniors if you do anything else as you would need to calculate two recursion based grades instead of one.

Wasn't there a thread on this, or was it just an announcement by rjh?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat May 12, 2012 9:20 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote: My understanding - which is not definitive - is the same as Ian's.

I had the opposite impression, that all the July 2012 calculations would use January 2012 as the starting point and combine that with fresh data, whatever it was dated. The point being that you run into problems processing new players and juniors if you do anything else as you would need to calculate two recursion based grades instead of one.

Wasn't there a thread on this, or was it just an announcement by rjh?
Probably just an announcement by RJH. I'm not sure about this, to be honest.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sat May 12, 2012 9:28 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote: Probably just an announcement by RJH. I'm not sure about this, to be honest.
Without saying it directly, he seems to imply that 1st January grades will be used regardless.

http://www.sccu.ndo.co.uk/grad.htm
If a league doesn't report at all till the end of the season its games will still be graded, but they will all go into the second halfyear.
and
How will adjournments and adjudications be treated?
A game which is adjourned (or pending adjudication) at the halfyear cutoff obviously cannot be reported in the interim batch, and it will not go into the first halfyear's grading, even retrospectively. It goes in the second halfyear whatever date the grader attaches to it.
The same will apply to any game from the first halfyear which slips the net for whatever reason and gets reported late.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat May 12, 2012 9:30 pm

Richard Bates wrote: The grading performance is inaccurate because all games will be graded using January grades.
Correct: I was required to retain the August list by Brian. There was an option to import the January 2012 data.

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat May 12, 2012 9:32 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:but there still seems to be a lack of cross-tables.
Cross-tables are nearing completion. Not so easy to reproduce! Alan Martin told Brian they would be a challenge to code and he was correct!

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Sat May 12, 2012 9:36 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: The bishop symbol by the Wanstead & Woodford 2 vs Morley College 2 match shows that it is not yet fully finished, but the result is actually known (a win for Wanstead & Woodford 2).
The bishop symbol simply indicates that the match card includes at least one uncompleted game. It was not meant to mean that a result is clear regardless of the outcome of those games.

The code that calculates match results is being beefed-up prior to the release of the new cross-table functionality.