Surrey Chess Congress October 26-28

Results of competitions with tables, or as much detail as is possible.
Chris Rice

Surrey Chess Congress October 26-28

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:25 pm

Richard Bates and Adam Taylor came =1st in the Open and in so doing Richard also becomes the SCCU champion for the fourth year in a row.

This was a well run tournament which of course it would be with Adam Raoof, Russell Granat, Mike Gunn and Daniel Young all pitching in. There may have been others but these are the ones I saw. I think the plan is to run it again next year. The venue is very spacious and easy to get to. There were some teething problems with quite a few players not being able to find the playing area and the canteen not always being open which I'm sure will be fixed next time around. Very enjoyable tournament.

One odd curiosity was that three times (twice in my games and once when I was spectating) players knocked over pieces on to the floor, picked them up, placed them back on the board and then said "j'adoube" as if that was the correct procedure. In one game my opponent moved a piece and then as he was dragging his arm back knocked over the king and a pawn. In the game where I was spectating the player banged out the move Nf3 and then knocked the rook over on h1. The final incident was in another one of my games where it was my move anyway but my opponent decided while he was waiting to blow his nose with a large handkerchief and took out four pieces on the back rank.

Nick Burrows

Re: Surrey Chess Congress October 26-28

Post by Nick Burrows » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:46 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:25 pm
Richard Bates and Adam Taylor came =1st
& Ben Ogunshola

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:47 am

Nick Burrows wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:46 am
Chris Rice wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:25 pm
Richard Bates and Adam Taylor came =1st
& Ben Ogunshola
Whoops! Sorry Ben, who did beat me in an absolute epic game as well.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:41 pm

It was an excellent congress. A bargain at #30.
I won the Major with Oliver Finnerty. I was the highest placed Surrey player in the Congress. :D
In terms of the overall congress there was also support from John Foley.
For excitement in the Major I think sunday morning was interesting when 3 players on the top 3 boards got a bus to Kingston University campus at Roehampton. I was trying to work out re-pairings when they turned up. Very friendly analysis after. I had a nice conversation with the Watson's at the train station on the way home.

It will be nice to have some photos for me to post on facebook. Bragging rights as well as some friends that I have not seen for 30 years.

Hopefully will be a permanent addition to the calendar - I want to book my Friday off next year to help set up as well as play.

Only my second congress win ever. My first was the Ilford Major in 2005.

Also on fide my rating gain may get me a little higher in the CSC 3rd team for this year.

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:46 pm

Congrats Nick, but your co-winner was Oliver Finnegan.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:41 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:41 pm
It was an excellent congress. A bargain at #30.
I won the Major with Oliver Finnerty. I was the highest placed Surrey player in the Congress. :D

It’s an interpretation I suppose... ;)

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:27 pm

Congratulations to Richard Bates on his win of SCCU place too.
Apparently some additional prizes for Surrey Players - which may be why no prize money in my bank account at close of play today.

Will be nice I may - treat myself to an expensive WCC ticket but struggling to find time off work in November.

I'm sure Oliver will forgive me. Was also surprised that Brendan was not around to challenge us.

Brendan O'Gorman

Post by Brendan O'Gorman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:36 am

Brendan did not survive the appallingly early start needed to get from Woolwich to Kingston in time for the start of round 2. :oops:

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:48 pm

Especially with the Mick Cash strike action on the trains. Now four Sats in Nov (clashing with four ru intenationals at Twickenham.
A beer when I see you next.