Page 1 of 1
Congress Bookstalls
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:23 pm
by James Pratt
I am trying to put together a list of congress bookstalls.
I start the ball rolling with Francis Bowers, TCS, Manchester Chess Supplies, Chess & Bridge, Hexagon, Chess Direct...
Help me get a comprehensive picture please.
James Pratt
BCM ET
Re: Congress Bookstalls
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:26 pm
by Rob Thompson
CCF
Re: Congress Bookstalls
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:31 pm
by Paul Dupré
I believe CCF Mindgames are very popular.... though they don't have any digital clocks.
Re: Congress Bookstalls
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:36 pm
by Rob Thompson
Paul Dupré wrote:I believe CCF Mindgames are very popular.... though they don't have any digital clocks.
I'm pretty sure they have some in order to sell them, even if they may not have enough to supply a congress
Re: Congress Bookstalls
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:40 pm
by Alex Holowczak
CCF do supply digital clocks if you ask them. If CCF don't have an event simultaneously, then CCF lets CCF Mindgames borrow them.
You also missed the English Chess Federation, which has enough equipment to run three congresses simultaneously.
Re: Congress Bookstalls
Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:43 pm
by James Pratt
no, but the ECF doesn't sell books and equipment at tournaments, I don't think.
Re: Congress Bookstalls
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:03 am
by Matt Mackenzie
ManChesster Supplies went out of business a few years ago now.
Re: Congress Bookstalls
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:39 am
by Jon D'Souza-Eva
Tim Onions
http://www.onionschess.co.uk/
His "Ten Ways to succeed..." books are among the most popular with the youngsters that I teach.
Re: Congress Bookstalls
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:26 am
by James Pratt
Tim indeed!
Re: Congress Bookstalls
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:28 am
by James Pratt
so recap. CCF Mindgames, Francis Bowers, TCS, Chess & Bridge, Hexagon (Bob Jones?) Chess Direct, Chess Scotland, Tim Onions ... err
Re: Congress Bookstalls
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:56 am
by Alex Holowczak
James Pratt wrote:no, but the ECF doesn't sell books and equipment at tournaments, I don't think.
It doesn't sell books and equipment, no.
I think you're asking the wrong question: Congress organisers would like to know where they can get equipment from for their congress. A bookstall would be ideal, but most would settle for equipment.
If this is for something in BCM, you might include a table of all of these, with columns for the various services they provide. For example, all bar the ECF would have a Yes in a "Bookstall" column. ECF would have a tick in a "digital clocks available" column. So you end up with
this sort of thing.
Re: Congress Bookstalls
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:46 am
by James Pratt
it was just basically for our internal use but thank you anyway.
James
Re: Congress Bookstalls
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:52 pm
by Roger de Coverly
James Pratt wrote:so recap. CCF Mindgames, Francis Bowers, TCS, Chess & Bridge, Hexagon (Bob Jones?) Chess Direct, Chess Scotland, Tim Onions ... err
There is or was Chessmaze International as referenced here
http://www.junior.staffordshirechess.or ... ships.html
http://www.chessmazeinternational.com/
I couldn't find any references to 2011 events. The obvious ones in the North West such as Blackpool were Chess Direct.
Re: Congress Bookstalls
Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:26 pm
by Sean Hewitt
Chessmaze don't do bookstalls anymore.