Page 1 of 1

Wrekin Congress (Telford)

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:43 am
by David Pardoe
Can anyone give an update on this event last weekend. I know there were winter flurries in the Midlands but hopefully this did not interrupt proceedings....

Re: Wrekin Congress (Telford)

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:24 pm
by Steve Rooney
Hopefully the full results should be on the county site soon - http://www.shropshirechess.org/.

I can't remember all the winners but do know that, for a change, Shropshire players did very well with Gavin Cooper (Newport) winning the Premier (U210) on 4/5 and Roger Brown (Shifnal & Telford) winning the Minor (U125) on 5/5.

One notable win for one of our 9-year old juniors in his very first competitive game, against a 109 as well!

Re: Wrekin Congress (Telford)

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:58 pm
by Brendan O'Gorman
Steve Rooney wrote:Hopefully the full results should be on the county site soon - http://www.shropshirechess.org/.

I can't remember all the winners but do know that, for a change, Shropshire players did very well with Gavin Cooper (Newport) winning the Premier (U210) on 4/5 and Roger Brown (Shifnal & Telford) winning the Major (U160) on 5/5. Racked my brains, but can't remember Minor winner.

One notable win for one of our 9-year old juniors in his very first competitive game, against a 109 as well!
I hope this is wrong. I was under the impression that I and several other players had shared first in the Major with a paltry 3.5/5. Perhaps Roger Brown won the Minor?

I've posted some photos of what was a very well run congress in a good well lit venue here: http://picasaweb.google.com/bpogorman

Re: Wrekin Congress (Telford)

Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:34 pm
by Steve Rooney
Brendan, apologies, you are right of course, I mixed my majors and minors, original message has been edited.

Re: Wrekin Congress (Telford)

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:07 am
by David Pardoe
Brendan O'Gorman wrote:
Steve Rooney wrote:Hopefully the full results should be on the county site soon - http://www.shropshirechess.org/.

I hope this is wrong. I was under the impression that I and several other players had shared first in the Major with a paltry 3.5/5. Perhaps Roger Brown won the Minor?

I've posted some photos of what was a very well run congress in a good well lit venue here: http://picasaweb.google.com/bpogorman

Brendan, some great photos there of many congresses around the country that Im sure many players will find interesting to browse....!!!!