50th Thanet Chess Congress

Results of competitions with tables, or as much detail as is possible.
Robert Page

50th Thanet Chess Congress

Post by Robert Page » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:53 am

John McKenna

Re: 50th Thanet Chess Congress

Post by John McKenna » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:46 pm

Thanks, Robert, for posting those links and the name of the winner of the Open. IM Merry,A (3.5) v. (4) FM Taylor,M was still in play when I had to leave.

Congratulations to you on winning the Major outright with 4.5/5.

Pleased to see the Broadstairs CC site already has your 5th round win - Pooley,R v. Page,R - with your comments.

Hope the Merry-Taylor game appears there, too.

Thanks, also, to Kevin Thurlow & Andrew Flood for the smooth running of an excellent event.

Robert Page

Post by Robert Page » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:35 pm

Thank you, John. I'm glad you enjoyed the congress. There will be games from all the sections published on the Broadstairs site in due course. I have the Challengers and Minor already in hand. I emailed Kevin as he collates all the Open games and once I get those there should be a couple I can add. I'm sure the Merry-Taylor game will be one.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:43 pm

The Open games are done, but I want to check them for errors in names etc. Challengers is almost finished. I should do it over the weekend.

The organizers tried to contact the players and organizers of the 1st event, where possible. 49 years is a long time and some are understandably not around. I think they got 6 people there, which is pretty good going. A presentation was made to them.

Winners of the first one were JRL Webb (Brighton), Brian Hare (Brighton) and Brian Eley (Rotherham) all on 4.5. Leonard Barden, Michael Franklin, D Strauss (David?), A Forster got 4. Kevin Wicker (lost to Stewart Reuben in the last round) and Michael Macdonald-Ross were playing too.

Gordon Lloyd played and he organized the first one. He brought in some fascinating old photos and newspaper reports.

The tournament did go very smoothly. A couple of people got confused with the clocks and there was one illegal move reported, by the player who did it! So I had a peaceful time, which was nice. I could try to claim that my presence caused an outbreak of good behaviour, but it was probably that we had a nice bunch of players.